Fordmods Logo

WADE CAM.. replace my 1636 with a 1673 OR 977b Wade cam 

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

crow cams sell their "double valve springs" for i think around $200 or soemthing but could be wrong.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah had a look, but i reckon thats overkill as its rated up to 650' lift

their xr6 springs are rated up to 600' lift....... so im wondering how much lift the standard springs are rated at?

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

how u go with the am u install it yet...

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cam should reach the post office tommorow..... hopefully. Im also waiting for a set of HLA retainers, hopefully arrive tommorow as well

i started fitting xr6 valve springs this afternoon and the spring compressor i bought isnt worth 2 cents. It busted open on the first spring so i had to cut a socket in half and use it for a stable surface to push on the spring...

What a C*** of a job when you dont have decent tools..... springs flying apart like grenades, turning it when it feels like it cant turn no more, ..... ive fitted 3 springs, just got 9 to go :(

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

I am running the 1673 in my ED, if you are running vernier gears, Keith from Wade's suggested to retard it 2-3 degrees.

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ive got my vernier gear advanced 1 degree cause after shaving the head, fitting thinner AU headgasket and new timing chain, it messed up all the timing marks.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bArNsY wrote:
I am running the 1673 in my ED, if you are running vernier gears, Keith from Wade's suggested to retard it 2-3 degrees.

Sorry to steal the thread a bit FordFairmont. bArNsY, does it idle much better then if it was running of stock timing? mine idles a bit rough, rougher then the XR cam (I would expect), but didn't as bad as it is now.

FordFairmont, how does it run now?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

I am running dual fuel, it idles actually quieter on lpg than on petrol, when on petrol it hunts 200/300 rpms.
It seems to idle the same as a stock cam, but I have found with the cam retarded 2 degrees at the vernier gears I have found the cam give the car 110% from 3000rpm to the red line and more.

FordFairmont, I understand you have advanced the timing by 1 degree on the verneir gears, I was wondering if you have advanced the dizzy and if so how far advanced?

Its just with the cam retarded 2 degrees it seems like a stock cam down low and struggle low chirp the tyres with low revs, I was hoping that by advancing the dizzy it may compensate the power band/curve to give a bit more torque down lower

cheers
Barnsy

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bArNsY wrote:
I am running dual fuel, it idles actually quieter on lpg than on petrol, when on petrol it hunts 200/300 rpms.
It seems to idle the same as a stock cam, but I have found with the cam retarded 2 degrees at the vernier gears I have found the cam give the car 110% from 3000rpm to the red line and more.

FordFairmont, I understand you have advanced the timing by 1 degree on the verneir gears, I was wondering if you have advanced the dizzy and if so how far advanced?

Its just with the cam retarded 2 degrees it seems like a stock cam down low and struggle low chirp the tyres with low revs, I was hoping that by advancing the dizzy it may compensate the power band/curve to give a bit more torque down lower

cheers
Barnsy

he has an ef - no dizzy can only adjust the cam timing because of the vernier gear

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

phongus wrote:
bArNsY, does it idle much better then if it was running of stock timing? mine idles a bit rough, rougher then the XR cam (I would expect), but didn't as bad as it is now.

whilst im far from an expert, i would say with the rough idle, the 1673 cam would be making power high in the rev range similar to the 977b.

You could fit a vernier gear and advance the cam 1 or 2 degrees to bring the power curve earlier in the revs and might also improve the idle but dont quote me on that :)

Quote:
FordFairmont, how does it run now?

cam was due to arrive today but i forgot its a public holiday. Im still battling with fitting the crow springs. Its the biggest f**k up job ive ever done, only because of my totally f**k up spring compressor.

i'll spend 10 minutes carefully winding the new spring up tight enough to get the collets over the valve stem and the fuking compressor will slip off and i gotta start again. This happens about 7 times per spring. Ive done 8 springs so far, got 4 to go.

Word of advice to anyone looking to fit their own valve springs, make sure you have a very fukin decent spring compressor to do the job, to save yourself hours of torture and frustration.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok after an overnight battery reset, i fitted the 977b cam and suprisingly the idle is basically stock. Theres no real lumpiness at all, just a smooth thumping idle.

While it has stalled a couple times while slowing down to a set of lights, i assume this is only cause the ecu is relearning idle...... actually this cam is behaving better than the 1636 after a ecu reset :?

Defintely has lost low down power compared to the 1636, but whilst ive been trying to keep the revs down, i gave it a quick squirt in first gear and lit up both wheels..... not bad for a single spinner :P

Will take a quick vid of the idle so you can see how tame it is, and in a couple weeks will get it on the dyno to see how much power its making on stock ecu, and also how the afr's look which is what im most worried about

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeh also most people find it does take a week or 2 for everything to settle in and proper power is finally delivered. take it easy for first 2 or so hours or so and avoid holding rpm steady (anything under 2500 is ok tho id say) just to make sure nothing goes wrong...

after its properly bed in go for it mate.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I leave my car idle for a while before I take it for a drive every time I reset the ECU and fiddle with the cam.

For a while is maybe 10mins or so and it learns idle pretty quickly. Then take it for a test drive and it relearns more.

FordFairmont, a video would be great, want to see the comparison between the 977b and 1673. Mine seems rough, but timing might be out by a tiny bit.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Heres a small vid of the 977b idle. Has a slight lope, nothing like what i posted before in this thread of someone elses car.

Im wondering if this cam might even suit an auto with some decent diff gears?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LezaGmKaA[/youtube]

Last edited by FordFairmont on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Sounds so much smoother then my 1673...I believe I need to invest in a vernier gear and chuck it in and advance/retard the timing. Hopefully that extra odd 150 will fix the problem.

Cheers for the video FordFairmont.

phong =P~

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next