Fordmods Logo

WADE CAM.. replace my 1636 with a 1673 OR 977b Wade cam 

Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

Ford Fairmont

That other link of that car u posted had a bottom end rebuild with race pistons, ported head etc had a look into that link to see the whole build thats why she shoulded alot different

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

hey stoj79, i just looked back at the idle vid you posted and it sounds like youve got a couple chain guides broken. Prolly should get it check out

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeh when i recoed the head my merchanic mention smthin could also bee the pulley bearings dunno.....

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

phong keep in mind cams are very random, my 1636 was lumper than most other cams ive heard(including that 977b on page3)

i have 2 friends both witht he 1673 1 is lumpy the other isnt.

apparenlty to get a real smooth idle and no hunting disconnect the ISC and set base idle to around 850 or so and it wont hunt anymore.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

been about to buy a 1673... this thread has made me rethink my choice. what diff gears do you have in your car fordfairmont? how does it cruise in 5th? will the car stall with the A/C on if the ISC is disconnected?

do people get much "chain" noise with the wade cam's? bit worried since my car seemed to hate the last cam I put in it (an RPD spec3), ended up with a smooth idle, but terrible fuel eco, bad cam chain noise, and minimal power increase. Cam timing must have been wrong, but i put the stocko back in and the car has been running great for months...

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

forsaken wrote:
been about to buy a 1673... this thread has made me rethink my choice. what diff gears do you have in your car fordfairmont? how does it cruise in 5th? will the car stall with the A/C on if the ISC is disconnected?

mate i havnt taken it on the highway yet, im running 3.7 diff. Dont know anything about disconnecting isc, all that s**t does is cut the engine?

Aircon doesnt work so i cant help you with that either lol :) I can tell you since fitting new valve springs and fitting this cam that the car feels alot stronger than before and it was running sweet in the first place. I cant wait to get it on the dyno and see the numbers, and if the afr's are ok.

Quote:
do people get much "chain" noise with the wade cam's? bit worried since my car seemed to hate the last cam I put in it (an RPD spec3), ended up with a smooth idle, but terrible fuel eco, bad cam chain noise, and minimal power increase.

ive run 2 different wade cams and never had a problem. 1 extra shim in each lifter and thats it. If you went with the 977b, then i would recommend you at least fit the xr6 spec valve springs as i wouldnt have too much faith in 12 year old stock springs to handle "biggish" cams :wink:

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

forsaken wrote:

do people get much "chain" noise with the wade cam's? bit worried since my car seemed to hate the last cam I put in it (an RPD spec3), ended up with a smooth idle, but terrible fuel eco, bad cam chain noise, and minimal power increase. Cam timing must have been wrong, but i put the stocko back in and the car has been running great for months...

im yet to install a wade cam which has caused chain rattle (have installed over 5 cams now)

not sure how it will go with air con with ISC disconnected you may need to raise the idle speed if you get stalling issues.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

forsaken wrote:

I have so far driven without major problems with the 1673 cam. Cam is doing well and hell of a lot more punch over the stock cam and XR cam. Mid range power has increased a fair amount, though down low not as much but still noticeable. I haven't gone past 3500RPM yet so I don't know how well it would do up top, but I imagine a significant increase since I can still feel the car pull at 3500RPM.

I say without major problems because I haven't checked the timing yet. So the timing could be out, since it might be out it probably isn't running at 100%.

Reason for not going any more then 3500RPM is to let my ECU relearn as well as comparing fuel economy between cams. In the last week I traveled about 415km using about 45L of fuel. That works out to be about 11L/100km which is better then my previous 13-14L/100km. This is 50% metro driving and 50% highway driving. Mind you I took the car for a drive on a Melbourne cruise to Mt.Dandenong and those hills require a bit of acceleration to get up with a shuddering clutch. (NOTE: Take into consideration my old engine wasn't the healthiest engine. New engine was basically refurbished with new parts.)

If my timing is out and is fixed, I have no doubt that it will run great throughout the rev range, though fuel consumption might drop with increase in power and slightly heavy foot.

So far I have had no rattling chains. I think the rattling chain could be caused by the timing chain tensioner not set correctly or timing is out by some amount. If the timing is out but a couple of degrees, the engine can run like a bucket of s**t.

Hope that helps...and sorry to sort of veer off topic.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Take it past 3500, that's where all the punch is with the 1637, from 3000 to the redline.

I have had no noises from the rattling of the chain, I have however has had some issues with the tappets being noisy after it hits the redline. I will replace the tappets to see if it fixes the problem

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bArNsY wrote:
Take it past 3500, that's where all the punch is with the 1637, from 3000 to the redline.

I have had no noises from the rattling of the chain, I have however has had some issues with the tappets being noisy after it hits the redline. I will replace the tappets to see if it fixes the problem
can also be caused by not having the correct weight/correct amount of oil have you done an oil change latley?

also yeh phong if you have been driving the car a fair bit since installing the cam should be right to thrash her now.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

akademiks wrote:
bArNsY wrote:

can also be caused by not having the correct weight/correct amount of oil have you done an oil change latley?

also yeh phong if you have been driving the car a fair bit since installing the cam should be right to thrash her now.

Done about 600kms now. Going to do an oil change at 1000kms to make sure everything is clean.

I am starting to give her a bit more punch now but only after it hits running temp. Thanks for the advice there akademiks.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dude 600km hahah
should have already gone through a set of stockies by now phong

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

a set after a run to melb and back from geelong about 140km i was putting full boot into her she loved it its ford mate dont be scared

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

akademiks wrote:
bArNsY wrote:

my tappets get noisy in Park at any RPM above 2000 :P with the correct volume of the correct oil, put in 3000km ago lol

and after one bounce off the limiter, Woody Woodpecker gets woken up under my rocker cover :S

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Well the car pulled even harder after 3500 till about 5000. Stopped cause I reached the speed limit. Though got to the speed fairly quickly. So all in all, cam has a lot of improvements from mid till high and a noticeable increase down low.

No ticking noises so it's good as well.

phong =P~

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 7  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next