Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: water leak near alternator
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

Hey guys i have a leak near the Alternator but cant find out where
My mate seems to think that its the waterpump but i cant see how that can be cuz the pumps bolts into the engine block or so i think
Its becoming a real pain because it leaks into the alteranator and makes the car run crap?

What can i do to find out where?

Should i pull out the Power Steering and alternator and have a look and if so how?

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Chances are the O-Ring that seals the metal pipe into the back of the water pump is dying.

Usually results in a few drips of coolant right on the top of the alternator, and is usually hard to really see unless you take the P/S pump off.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

so should i pull it off?

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

yeah - swap over the water pump and a new o-ring and you'll be done. Same thing happened on my EF a few years back!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

wadda ya mean swap over the Water pump? with a new one?

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yup - the problem will almost definately be that the fitting around the heater pipe has corroded, just putting in a new o-ring will be a temporary fix at best. When the system heats up and is under pressure it is leaking past it, and seeing as it is an all in one unit..... it isn't a hard job!

May as well do it properly rather than having to get a replacement alternator later on down the track as well

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok i hear ya

am i looking at alot? for Price?

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

not really.. the trouble is they sell the pulley and pump as seperate units. The pulley is plastic and will almost 99.99% crack when you take it off.

I got a quote for a pump and pulley and picked it up and for free, they pressed it tonether for me. That was from Ford, they beat coventrys by a few dollars!!

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

I had the O ring on the water pump leaking, i didnt have to replace the water pump just the O ring.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]