What Cam Do I Use? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: What Cam Do I Use?
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

Hi All

I got a 4L Intech AU motor and its done 220 000 k's now ive already got a cold air intake pacemakers stainles high flow cat and a lukey mandrel system. what sort of cam should i use and i understand it will probably need new valve spring and "possibly" a bit of head work being so old and if so what springs should i go for standard or slightly harder or softer ones.

Hopefully someone can shed some light onto the situ.

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

you want harder springs - but only if your going for a big cam. If you have an auto, id advice to stick with the smaller cams (with lots of torque) or get hi-stall and/or diff gears. Dont worry about headwork just yet either, just put the cam in and see how you go.

and make sure you get a cam to suit AU engines. EA-EL cams will not fit.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

so whats a high stall all about how is it different to a standard converter? and what sort of gains can i expect from it bottom end or top end?

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

If you put a big cam in you will lose low end power. A standard convertor will grip at low rpm where the engine has no power and your monster cammed car will get dragged off by stock falcons at the lights. With a high stall you get more slip letting the engine builld rpm before it gets locked. They dont give you any more power, just keep the enigne out of its dead zone.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

i wasnt going to go for a cam with alot of lift just more duration because i really dont see the point and like you said it would lag. i was just wondering what sort of implications this would have on other engine componoents such as springs, valves etc. and changing the diff gears had cross my mind but then that wicked fuel economy i get when im cruisin at 110 is out the window.

I know the high stall will not add power i mean how can it its a component of the transmission. but will it give me more take off or to put it simply (will it go faster).

it has plenty of power after 60k's but curiously i get beaten by my mates 5.0 off the mark and come back and leave him behind after 100.

Cheers,

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I done a bit of shopping around before and found the "HIGH TOURQUE CAM" by crow cams for the AU1 4.0Intech have you ever herd of this cam before and will it be suitable.

Again, Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]