Fordmods Logo

What cam would best suit worked el xr6? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: What cam would best suit worked el xr6?
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

Power: 173 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hello, i have a el xr6 manual. Haven't had it for long and and am about to go spend a bit of money on getting a piggyback computer..

Also i am about to go and get a new camshaft, what is something that will get my KW's up and give me a bit of power?

these are the mods that i know have been done by the previous owner:

- Fitted with forged flat top pistons
- Block has been rebored
- Crank has been rebalanced
- Block has been decked
- Valves are larger
- Has had head work done ( not exactly sure what was done)

And after i find out what cam would go best with these mods i will go ahead and get it followed up my either a remap of my ecu or piggyback computer and tune which is said will give me around 20-30 kw.

Please help me in which cam i should go for?

Thanks, Luke!

EL XR6- 18'' BA XR8 wheels-King Springs-Pacemaker Extractors With a full 3'' exhaust threw..-High Compression pistons-Lumpy cam-Big valves-"head work"-3.45LSD-FPV short throw shifter-Fusion 1000w sub&fusion 350w amp
Next mod, Piggy backed computer and dyno tune! BA intake pipe

Post subject: Re: What cam would best suit worked el xr6?
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

if its had headwork chances are its got a better cam in it already? you would have to find that out before you even consider buying another cam because you could be going backwards with the next one you buy

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

- Where do want the most power? Low end, mid range or top end?
- Do you drive the car daily? (An engine with a big cam that won't idle is going to be a pain in city traffic.)
- Are you worried about fuel economy?

If you can answer these questions, then we'll be in the ballpark with what cams would suit you. :D

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I had my EF XR6 cam reground one step hotter to:
Stage Master # Adv Dur º @050º Cam lift Valve lift
1 RH24B 254/250º 195/192º .265/.252” .503/.478”
(from http://www.camshafts.co.nz/Ford.aspx to give you a feel for the specs vs performance; I'm sure Wade, Crow, Tighe, etc do a similar grind)

This is still very mild, but was the hottest grind he could guarantee with the stock untuned ECU. The idle is not noticeably lumpier than stock XR6. The bottom end lost a little bit, but it pulls good power right from 2500rpm out to redline (about 5700rpm). It peaks at 5500rpm on the dyno.

If you are going to get your ECU chipped anyway, the sky's the limit. With that head, if you also have a good exhaust and free flowing intake side, you won't need as much cam to get good top end power. Conversely, a hotter cam will produce good gains, as it won't be limited by the head, etc.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]