what happens if you gut the cat 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: what happens if you gut the cat
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:59 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: XT

VIC, Australia

do u get more power. or do ya loose. ive got a hiflow cat in mine now if i gut it what would happen,

BA XT. 20'' BSA rims ss induction. in car entertainment.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

dont get caught apparently its a decent fine... would be hard to get done for though.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
dont get caught apparently its a decent fine... would be hard to get done for though.

$10,000 I hear. And not all that hard to be detected either. The EPA have been looking into intoducing sniff cameras, like a speed camera but sniffing engine emisions when a vehicle passes. Don't know if they have been introduced yet but I'm sure they would be to far away.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

i wouldnt bother, i think you wil gain perfomance, but not $10,000 dollars worth, besides you have a hi flow anyway.

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I have just had the cat gutted in my ef xr6. THe cat was stuffed - collapsed or something. So anyway, it is not hard to get it done - angle grinder to remove cat. Long pointy item such as a screwdriver and a lot of banging and you have one empty cat. Performance was improved but this was compared to a partially blocked cat previously. It did sound louder and i have only done it as a tempory measure as i am getting a new full system including hiflow cat next week.
Personally i would not bother - if you have the hiflow cat the gain if any would be marginal and definately not worth the bother if you get caught.;

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

madmax wrote:
The EPA have been looking into intoducing sniff cameras, like a speed camera but sniffing engine emisions when a vehicle passes

given the logistics and laws of physics I think that might be a bit hard. Man some people waste money on things hey!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

i ended up gutting my cat a while back because i had trouble with the car not wanting to rev. but i hate the sound of it now. it echo's through the hollow cat. will have to get a new cat soon.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Just go out and buy a Magna Flow cat they are one of the best types around and its alot better than doing dodgy work like your thinking about doing. :)

The muffler and cat are stuffed on my XR atm so thats what i plan to do.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Definitely would not bother "gutting the cat". Apparrently the fuzz have a sensor that they put at the exhaust that reads the emissions. Busted!
2 1/2 inch Cats are great.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wouldnt this sensor they use return the same result if the cat was stuffed?? which im sure there is plenty of people with stuffed cats that dont realise and probably wouldnt be real impressed with a $10k fine...

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:

$10,000 I hear. And not all that hard to be detected either. The EPA have been looking into intoducing sniff cameras, like a speed camera but sniffing engine emisions when a vehicle passes. Don't know if they have been introduced yet but I'm sure they would be to far away.

they have introduced these down in victoria about a year ago.
i have a relative that got caught for emmisions when his 944 porsche was running s**t. he only got a warning though

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

AN emission test would not be conclusive evidence that you have removed the cat - it could jhust be a faulty cat or it could be that yopur engine is s**t and putting out a lot of pollution. It would be a good indicator though and could lead them to look further. It would be virtually impossible for them to detect the contents of the cat without removing the whole exhaust and cutting out the cat to have a look. If caught just say it was that way when you bought it!
I dont suggest gutting the cat - stuff all gain, lots of effort and stress. but if you do gutt it the chances of getting caught are almost zero. Has anyone ever known of anyone getting busted for gutting their cat convertor?

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Its cool if you got gas thou, you can just quickly chuck it on LPG if they pull you over and want to do an emmissions test. :roll:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
wouldnt this sensor they use return the same result if the cat was stuffed?? which im sure there is plenty of people with stuffed cats that dont realise and probably wouldnt be real impressed with a $10k fine...

Scary isnt it?

I think the serviceable life of a cat is around 150,000km or 10 years...

This is what they mean by "proper maintenance". Now, it'd be an EPA inpsector with a black heart which would slap 10 large on someone's EF falcon because the cat had given up the ghost... but someone who had removed the internals of the cat would be looked upon in a different light i feel.

Same issue with cold start emissions. A cat needs to be up to temp to work properly. EFI cars generally run pretty rich in the first few minutes of startup = really bad emissions. Similarly, a car which sits at idle for long periods of time can also see the catalyst fall out of its operational temp range.

Not sure on the LPG trick either. The law says any car after 1986 needs to have a cat fitted... there is no mention of fuel type.

Also consider the REAL issue at hand. You are filling the air with noxious substances which could easily be removed. This is the air you, I, your wife and your kids are breathing. Is it really worth it for a few kw?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeh definatley agree that theres a big difference between somebody who has gone out and gutted their cat for the sake of it, and someone who hasnt realised they have a life span and has a dead one. but it worries me that the law would not distinguish between the two, if the test could not make the distinction.

and yeh as martin said, they are there for a reason, not just to restrict your car somwhat, but to achieve better emmissions. this is like the public good / free rider problem you learn about in first year economics, just because you gutting your cat wont increase toxic emmisions greatly, if everyone did it certianley would. everybody here (including your families) wants the benefits of cleaner air, but to achieve it you also have to make the sacrifice of running a cat...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next