Fordmods Logo

what is the best cam for my EF 4.0? 

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i've yet to see any cam maker come up with an off the shelf cam that does what i want it too..

I'd like to see some one look past trying to make cams work with the stock ecu. all it does is hold us all back. cam grinders are forever compromising profiles to get the cars to behave in a semi acceptable maner.

After martket ECUs are only getting cheaper and better, it's about time cam grinders took advantage of that fact and started to come up with some cams that are uncomprmised. and we may just start see some good engines getting around.

the I6 is no different to any other engine. It will rev and it will make power above the factory redline. there are countless other engines that have the same or worse long stroke small bore, that from the factory will rev well in to the 7000rpm range.

the parts are there for our engine to give them the strength. the head is not a bad design and as has been proven you can get them flow very well.

the biggest problem is people having the missbelief that the things dont rev. the only reason they don't ver is because no one has come up with a cam that will let it.

challenge set.... grind a real cam

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

I cant see 4ltrs revving past 6000rpm, the reason for this is that at 6500rpm you experience approximately 3000 piston g's @TDC. This means that your light weight alloy piston now weighs 3000 times what it did before. Not only that but it must change direction and head back down the bore to compress the conrod to the same effect. Now keep in mind that @6500rpm your pistons do this 108 times per second. So lets say that your pistons & rod assembly's are light and only weigh 0.5kg(this is hyperthetical and in no way realistic), you now have pistons that weigh 1.5tonnes going up and down 108 times per second, thats a pretty f**k scary thought.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Last edited by Jaysen on Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Ive seen Sure cams in action there a great cam but not very well know. I ve also seen the new Alted cam in action and boy they go also. But at the end of the day id rather my JMM anyday

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Well I just got my cam and chip package from chiptorque / crow. And the specs that came with the cam are different from the crow website. Some people call the 2549 a 'mild' cam but it wouldn't idle AT ALL without the chip and chiptorque said not to run it under load without the chip. And the small amount of driving I did before the chip was terrible (eg 50% throttle to get rolling in 1st with black smoke etc.) After the chip it was all good.

I can definately vouch for the improvement though, It makes improved power over stock from 2300 all the way to the redline.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dude if your scared its ok.

but just because you dont like the piston speed or G's

does not mean it can't be done.

look through some other long stroke engines and you'll see it being done all the time.

LS1 stroke 3.62 inches. crane do more then one cam with a power band up to 7800rpm.

Cadilac 500cui V8 stroke 4.3 inches. crane cams Grind Number: H-234/300-2S-12 to 6400RPM

OLDS 400cui V8 4.25 inch stroke. crane Grind Number: HR-242/372-2S-14 IG power to 6800rpm.

ford 2.5l 4cyl stroke 3.5 inches esslingerracing cam PN 2230 power to 9200rpm.

cams for the 250 crossflow well were to start. WADECAMS list 2 that state up to 6500rpm. but there are 2 more cams on there site that ARE BIGGER.
the 250 has the same stroke as the 4L

crow cams make cams for them that are just big and use just as much rpm.

go do some piston G calcs on those....

my guess is you are not the person to look to for such a cam, it seems you are too scared..

but don't sit there and tell me it can't be done when it has been done on long stroke engines time and time again

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

mine revs too 6500, i limit it too 6200 just to keep it safe. but healthly reved to 6500 on dyno :)

*cough, sure cam

but with EMS 8860 ;)

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

WA, Australia

the cam debate can go on forever but im sure the owner of the worked 5 litre vk s**t that i ate last wednesday night would love to have known what the hell i had done under the bonnet of my car to make him look like a loser in front of his girlfriend..yeah he baited me and i took it.bait and the glory

wade 1636 rocks
well after the ecu settled down after a week or so anyway

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4