what oil to stop lifter noise on start up 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: what oil to stop lifter noise on start up
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ba ford 03

QLD, Australia

i am currently using magnetec 10w40 in my 03 ba 250000ks.after reading oil thread i wonder if doing harm as im getting some lifter noise on start up cold just for a few secs.i change the oil every 5000ks or so and have used this oil for 6 months not sure what they used before this.

Post subject: Re: what oil to stop lifter noise on start up
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

rosco0434 wrote:
i am currently using magnetec 10w40 in my 03 ba 250000ks.after reading oil thread i wonder if doing harm as im getting some lifter noise on start up cold just for a few secs.i change the oil every 5000ks or so and have used this oil for 6 months not sure what they used before this.

you can get lifter additive from autobarn and the likes, or i found using thicker oil helped

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:34 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

at250'000km a touch of lifter noise at start is a common thing.
go back to a thinner grade 5w30 and see if it goes away, a lighter grade oil will get where its going faster on start up....

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I'd also run a engine flush through it, drive for half a hour with it in, drain it for as long as you can as soon as you stop drivin and the engines hot, replace filter and refill with thinner oil and then take it for a burn. Drive it hard and get the new oil through out.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
I'd also run a engine flush through it, drive for half a hour with it in, drain it for as long as you can as soon as you stop drivin and the engines hot, replace filter and refill with thinner oil and then take it for a burn. Drive it hard and get the new oil through out.

You NEVER drive a car with an engine flush in the oil.....NEVER.....because the flush takes away the shear/load ability of the oil.
If the engine is sludged up a bit, the solenoids for the DVCT could be half blocked up with it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: el fairmont

QLD, Australia

i agree never drive with engine flush ,run for 10 to 15 min max then drain ,Liquid molly do a tappet free that works well .I found using an engine flush on every oil change worked wonders with my xf & xh panel vans that i owned as my floorsanding vans & i racked up some huge km's 10,000 in 2months for years ,also use a ryco filter with the anti drain back valve ,& the liquid molly teflon engine treatment is good too (& no i don't work for them) Zee German's just make good products

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Pakrat wrote:

You NEVER drive a car with an engine flush in the oil.....NEVER.....because the flush takes away the shear/load ability of the oil.
If the engine is sludged up a bit, the solenoids for the DVCT could be half blocked up with it.

Yes I do?
I do it all the time, Christ it's not like you go out an do Hoops all down the street like you stole the thing, just take it for a drive.
When a motor has really bad lifter noise, like v6pajeros get, you have to drive em with it or it'll never go away.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

This is from the NULON EOF site
" Prior to oil change, add to engine crankcase oil (up to 6 litres) and run the engine at idle for 10 -15 minutes. Stop the engine and drain/flush out the oil while warm. Install new oil and filter. Use EOF with each oil change to prevent sludge build up."

Nothing about driving the car, eh?

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

most brands state that no load should be placed on the engine while flushing. Even stationary in drive with the brake on is load...

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

It depends on how the particular flush you use does it's job.
I've used some that state on the bottle to drive the car for 30mins after adding.

I don't really believe you should use them at all, Good oil with regular changes will do more for the engine then using a flush.

On poorly serviced engines with problems it can be helpful and it can make things worse.

Some times you are better off doing it slowly with high detergent oil like most heavy duty diesel oils and short 2000km drain intervals. Most people rack up 2000km in only a few weeks, it doesn't take long to see an improvement.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
It depends on how the particular flush you use does it's job.
I've used some that state on the bottle to drive the car for 30mins after adding.

I don't really believe you should use them at all, Good oil with regular changes will do more for the engine then using a flush.

On poorly serviced engines with problems it can be helpful and it can make things worse.

Some times you are better off doing it slowly with high detergent oil like most heavy duty diesel oils and short 2000km drain intervals. Most people rack up 2000km in only a few weeks, it doesn't take long to see an improvement.

EXACTLY , purchase a 10L or 20L barrel of some cheap diesel oil and change it every 200-500KM with a new filter you will see improvement it may not be as quick as a oil flush but at least you will NOT risk running the motor ,

but a few to many changes and you could maybe clean out to much of the "sludge" holding together the gaskets and start having leaks , happened in my EF with its stock donk and an AU donk in it , plus a few other AU's it cleaned it out to "well"

id hate to think what a oil flush would have done that starts potion

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ba ford 03

QLD, Australia

thanx for all your help a little conflicting as always not sure what method i will use but sure to post whatever i find works best.thanks

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU 1 Futura,Previous-EA 2 S Pac

NSW, Australia

Anything other than Magnatec imo lol! Your not the first to report lifter noise on startup with that stuff. A good full synthetic with the same viscosity should eliminate the lifter noise at startup, but with 250,000kays on your engine, i would also think about what Troyman suggested. If it then dosent quieten it down then maybe use lifter free treatment (last resort) . Good luck!

cheers,Maka

Maka- Damn all those beer binges in my youth! Oh crap, what was that?- I forgot! Dont laugh-I bet you're the same!

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Yep - "wondersoft" margarine is the most rock hard s&^t on the supermarket shelf - so no surprise "magnatec" oil actually.... isn't.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next