Fordmods Logo

What temp does your EF/EL 4L usually run at??? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What temp does your EF/EL 4L usually run at???
Under N 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Under O 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
Under R 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Under M 25%  25%  [ 26 ]
Under A 26%  26%  [ 27 ]
Under L 27%  27%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 105

Post subject: Re: What temp does your EF/EL 4L usually run at???
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Checked mine, sits on 89 on the hwy, and up to 91 round town..... I have a leaking radiator, no radiator cap, about 99% water because I'm not putting coolant in until I get a new rad (I dont like throwing money on the ground).

Sits between the M and A at 89/90.

My car used to run cooler when I first got it, would sit on the L, so probably 85 odd degrees?
I dont know whether changing the thermostat to a warmer one, or adding extractors+exhaust got me an extra 100kms a tank... because they both happened in the same week...

Just going by 'feel', I think its running too hot.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

sorry i had the ED dash in mind, mine sits around the the end of normal so i guess its A-L

Laticia. (p.s. i put in O in the vote)

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lets keep this thread only for EF/EL falcons guys :D

If you have a previous series then copy and pasta my thread and do the changes needed to make it work :mrgreen:

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I noticed i havent posted my results since ive changed my radiator and thought it might be useful for you all.

Part number FD001CA2 and now it takes 40mins of driving in 25degree day to get to the letter A and if its colder like now it stays under the letter L. Im very happy with this unit and im sure you will too.

I also noticed that my car has more poke too as its not running as hot as it used too

Today in this freezing inner west Sydney cold and wind my car just reached the normal line and sometimes below. I think it may not be a good thing and ill see how many kms i get out of a tank as im assuming its running in rich mode as its so cold. I have a 82degree theromostate and ill try that and see that works out better, im also thinking that maybe run 82 in winter and 72 in summer but ill try and report back

According to my radiator joint, he said that the temp gauge should not go over half way on a super hot summer day with the air conditioning on so that should give you all a good idea of max temp.

Apparently techtaloy is the best coolant to use but Nulon is also good but not as good

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

depends on the season

Winter: lucky to hit 'L'

Summer: lucky to stay below 'R'

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Also with the radaitor i got this is classified as high performance and it is a ADRAD unit and all thr replacement units available are same specs as factory. The specs are 2 row 10mm tubes and mine has 2 row 12.7mm tubes which according to ADRAD has 10% better cooling capacity and apparently car manufacturers use a 10% rule of if the cooling system is going to fail or not. This unit was an extra $70.00 which is so worth it.

Ford didnt do such a great job cleaning the block once casted and all the crap that was left in there gets into the radiator over time and blocks it up. My radiator was 25% blocked and i was there from start to finish as they wanted me 2 see what they do and said that it was blocked even before they took it out.

So most of you guys with original radiators and runs abit warm there blocked and it would be a very good idea to look into replacing it.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:32 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

WA, Australia

I just spent a fair bit of time with my cooling system in my car. It used to run up to the 'O' before I flushed it out thoroughly, and then put some of that radiator flush, aka alkaline salts through it. Then flushed it again and finally filled with coolant and water wetter. What a difference. Hasn't moved above 'A' even with the 3.5 hours at 150km/h the other day (which used to see it hovering around the 'O').

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NF fairlane

VIC, Australia

i got a nf fairlane that stay under L on less then 30 degree days after 30 it will just go over A just. ive got a brand new radiator new standed thermostat and use ford coolent i cant think of the name now but i get it from ford it cames in little bottles 500mls. i also put a brand new tickford head, au gasket and a stg 2 cam about 40,000ks ago and it stillsits under L

Is There Life After Death Touch My Car And Find Out!!!

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fordisgod

You system is working great and i need to flush it again and put in the nulon coolant i bought and try a and see what the difference in temp will be once i change from the 72 to 82 degree theromostate does.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:48 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

My temp. sits at the first line below L. It will creap up to L in traffic or if i do alot of stop/go.
I do have a new 3 core radiator, new genuine ford water pump, new genuine 72 deg. thermostat,
& running Nulon coolant at 50% mix. I also have a external trans cooler, not running through my radiator.
My car is a EL futura. I do know that EF run a differant fan set up which is not good enough in my eyes. Ford did refine the fan set up in the EL onwards but i think it is still not good enough.
Who ever desind the rad. fan set up in Ford shuold be shot. Why couldn't they just make the fans come on & then off at the desired temperatures just like every other make.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

racer

Where did you get ur 3 core unit from and how much? i was also offered a 3 core but they get it from a EA or EB and have replace tanks with EF/EL tanks to suit

Have u noticed better or worse fuel economy from running really low temp?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I bought the 3 core radiator at REPCO. I think it has a 2 or 3 year warranty. DO NOT get the aluminium core. GET the copper core one. I'm a auto electriciain & i got it trade price. I think the price was around $350 give or take $20. Well worth every cent. GO FOR IT.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

stock everything..sits under L normal driving...when letting the lead foot go it sits just under A

:)

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

racer

Have u noticed better or worse fuel economy from running really low temp?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Don't worry. NO extra fuel is wasted. Coolant temp. will read colder for the ecu but will not notice a differance in fuel economy. Not in my case anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next