Fordmods Logo

What to do to my XH Longreach S! (Oh btw, Hey!) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: What to do to my XH Longreach S! (Oh btw, Hey!)
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Xh Ute

QLD, Australia

Hey FordMods!
My name's Ben and I have just recently purchased my first car! (I've had cars in the past as hand me downs but this is the first car I've purchased)
Its a green XH Longreach S floorshift auto
I'm on my P-Plates and live in Brisbane

I'd just like to ask what I should do to mine and your personal results with such mods and where I should go

Intake: I was looking at the JMM intake setup which is $190 I believe. Is this a worthwhile investment or should I get an xr6t snorkal and make a housing for a pod? Also I was reading about installing a BBM? where could I acquire one with all the required parts, what would it cost, what would installation be like and what could I expect? Also would installing a larger throttle body be beneficial?

Exhaust: For exhaust I was thinking of heading down to my local exhaust shop and getting headers and a full 2.5inch mandrel bent system but with a fair amount of mufflers/resonators/hotdogs as I dont want it too loud. I was thinking pacies for headers and for the 2.5 maybe a system from the shop?

Suspension: I purchased a lowering kit including kingsprings and some lowering blocks which I'm going to install on the weekend with a mate

Brakes: I want to upgrade the brakes but I dont know what I should use and where to get it? I.E. BA XR6 rotors and calipers fit or not?

Engine: I was thinking maybe a mild camshaft regrind? Where could I get this done? I heard of Camshaft Engineering in my searches but heard it closed down. If I got a regrind what accompanying pieces would I need to maximise its effect?

Overrall guys I'm only after maybe a 15-20 rwkw increase and some friendly advice from the best ford performance forum out!
I'd like to not hear stuff like save your money till you can purchase an xr6t (in regards to the cam thing mainly) but if the cam thing is gonna cost too much and I shouldnt bother I'd gladly accept that :)

Thanks in advance guys and enjoy your day!

Post subject: Re: What to do to my XH Longreach S! (Oh btw, Hey!)
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

Good on ya mate. I haven't done anything to my el fairmont except put on a redbak 2.5" catback exhaust off ebay on it, my stock one was made of swiss cheese and rust. My exhaust isn't too loud and it only has the one small muffler that comes with it. Check this thread out too ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/3-9l-4-0l-inline-6-modification-guide-t66.html

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yeh I went and got a quote for a full redback 2.5" system for just under 1k
I took it to get a major service and turns out I got a leaky head gasket which isnt good. The mechanic said it could blow in 2 days or 2 years!
If its bad, how cheap would it be to get a new head put on (from a similar model) and would it be possible to use a tickford head? or even just transfer an entire tickford engine over (I was going to install a BBM anyway) or is that not allowed on p plates?
Thanks fellas!

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:53 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

LOL I paid $210 including delivery for my catback off ebay and installed it myself. Does that quote include extractors,exhaust and labour? You should be able to find a complete running xh/el xr6 motor for $350-$600 2nd hand if you look around. If you just change your gasket, get a mls (multi layer steel) gasket, they are better and bump up your compression a little bit.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

1k for extractors, cat, catback system and labor

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:27 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

That's not too bad a price, go for it bud.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]