Fordmods Logo

Whats the better induction? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Whats the better induction?
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Looking at doing some mods to my Xg and was wondering if the EL style curled induction is better than the log setup originally on the Xg? I did read in the El manual that the EL has something in it that allows better air flow at high and low revs but I have seen race motors with similar log setups on them before. Is it worth changing to an EL setup?

Post subject: Re: Whats the better induction?
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

probably not the less restictons the better, if you can make the free flow of the intake larger you will see more torque and better power. for instance i stock induction tube (airbox to grill) on a ba mk1 is more restrictive then a tickford one. just play around and keep an eye on fuel consumption and power you may find something that suits you.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

i think hes talking about the log style manifold on the eb/ed and the broad band manifold on the ef/el, the ef/el has 2 different parts, and 1 is blocked off by some butterflys until 3500 rpm or 3800 rpm, then the butterflys open swtiching it to a shorter path for the air to get to the motor, so with a longer path for the air below 3500 odd rpm it makes better torque to get the car moving a little quiker then when the engine needs the air to keep revving up top it opens up and the motor can breath more to keep going and producing good power up top, the eb/ed log manifold is just 1 size so its a little doughey down the bottom

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:27 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

The BBM found on EF onwards is essentially a tuned length intake manifold. As mentioned it has a butterfly system inside that is switched by vac pressure, It switches at 3800rpm (?) and make the most of the motor generating torque. its a better, more efficient system than the log manifold. Log is better for boost though as it act like a plenum.

Go the BBM.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sorry, EFI still has me confused on names, yes I am talking about the inlet manifold it seems, thought it might not be called that due to there being no fuel just air going into it. Will the EL manifold bolt direct to the Xg, and what mods do I need to do to fit it and have it running?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]