Fordmods Logo

Where to get a droptank???? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Where to get a droptank????
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

My car is on duel fuel at the moment and im getting rid of the gas and i want to put a second fuel tank in where the gas tank currently is (under car). Does anyone know of a place in VIC that can build me a tank or sells droptanks??

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I suppose the Outback ute setup should fit a van - trade off is finding one I guess . . . . . :cry:
If you could find a complete ute/van tank with fuel pump and sender, you could do your own . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

hmmm wouldnt mind just a droptank on my ED petrol only lol

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The thing is the factory duel petrol tank is in a space that i already use for amps and stuff. So i was looking at a custom one. I could probobly make one if i had something to go off. Like the baffles inside it to stop the petrol splashing around and the wiring side. Also where the f**k am i going to fill it from. I think it would be illigal to fill it from inside the car...dont know

www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:32 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Fair enough - you made no previous mention about using the space already. The factory setup has both tanks being filled by the common filler - so that covers that aspect.
The tanks just need to be setup with a Y piece, with shutoff solenoids to isolate each tank when it's not being used + two changeover relays - 1 to power the shutoff solenoid of the opposite tank & power the fuel pump of the tank being used and vice versa, the other relay switches the fuel sender feed to the fuel gauge. The only long wire run is one wire to the dash for a switch, your other connections are right there.
I'd think this is a good way, as the tank design and fuel gauging are already done + wiring is pretty basic + your fuel feed is instant, no need to crossfeed.
You should be able to pick up an XH fuel tank from the wreckers.
If you're nice to your local Ford service dept, you may be able to photocopy the Outback setup from an XH shop manual.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

yeah.. im not sure anyone should go out and try to build their own petrol tank unless they have ALOT of experiance with that sort of sutff. more trouble than its worth and you'd end up putting yourself and those around you in a great deal of trouble! get a pro to make u one. goto a rod shop most of the stuff for old rods is hand made these days to they'd be the ppl to get talking to.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MikGan wrote:
yeah.. im not sure anyone should go out and try to build their own petrol tank unless they have ALOT of experiance with that sort of sutff. more trouble than its worth and you'd end up putting yourself and those around you in a great deal of trouble! get a pro to make u one. goto a rod shop most of the stuff for old rods is hand made these days to they'd be the ppl to get talking to.

its just a tank, the only s**t im going to have trouble with is baffles and such. Id prefer to find a joint though to do it for me, i might give mcdonnald bros a call see what they say

www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL FBT #079

VIC, Australia

I am pretty sure that there is a place called varnell, or something like that. From what I have been told they are around the Dandenong area. I think that they do drop tanks with foam filling and also baffles, pretty sure they are stainless steel also.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

great thats what i was looking for, thanks mattronics

www.aussiecoupes.net

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]