Fordmods Logo

Where to put an oil cooler on an Xr6T? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Where to put an oil cooler on an Xr6T?
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I've just bought both an oil cooler and a transmission cooler for my BA Xr6T.

Problem is that I Can't find a good place for the engine oil cooler to go as it is quite big.

I can put the tranny cooler in front of the intercooler off to the drivers side and pipe it in nice and easily.. but the oil cooler is more than twice as thick (about 1.5 inches thick I'd guess)

Only place I can find, is that if I relocate the horns off to the drivers side, I should be able to fit the cooler almost exactly behind the ford logo on the front grill.

Problem with that is that the fan I have won't fit on it in there.. and I'm worried about restricting air to the actual radiator.

Has anyone fitted a big oil engine oil cooler to an XR6T and where did you put it? I thought about the passenger inner guard but there is a water bottle in there.

any suggestions? IF not, I guess I'm going to try behind (and slightly below) the ford emblem... might be able to put a couple of PC 4 inch cooler fans on there which might help. annoying I can't fit the thermo though.

cheers

Frank

Post subject: Re: Where to put an oil cooler on an Xr6T?
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:20 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

is there any room between the intercooler and rad/a/c condenser??
or just above the intercooler?
you don't need the fan on the oil cooler unless your mounting somewhere where there is no airflow..
if you put it close to the radiator the std fans will draw air through the cooler aswell ..

also I wouldn't put any cooler infont of the intercooler as the hot air from the oil coolers will actually put heat into your intercooler..

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
is there any room between the intercooler and rad/a/c condenser??
or just above the intercooler?
you don't need the fan on the oil cooler unless your mounting somewhere where there is no airflow..
if you put it close to the radiator the std fans will draw air through the cooler aswell ..

also I wouldn't put any cooler infont of the intercooler as the hot air from the oil coolers will actually put heat into your intercooler..

Hi Troyman, the intercooler is 1/2 an inch from the condensor which is half an inch from the radiator... Sadly no room for a giant oil cooler. I had hoped to have it as low as possible to avoid drainback too... Doesn't look possible though sadly so I will have to console myself with making sure the oil cooler is positioned with its connectors up so it can't drain back.

The intercooler will be going away soon in favour of the water to air one I have here. Also intercooling will be mostly redundant anyway once the JTG liquid injection goes it as it is far more effective at cooling an intake charge than an intercooler anyway... In the mean time I'll try to move the tranny cooler off to the side as much as possible so it isn't heating up the intercooler.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I have seen coolers on BA's mounted up under the rear bar believe it or not, trans coolers though.

Gab

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I have also seen trans coolers on ba/bf mounted between the chassis rail and sill panel, not sure how well they work in that position but if a fan could fit it would be ok

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

That isn't a bad idea... The engine oil cooler is fixed length an10 hoses so that has to be close... The tranny cooler doesn't though. Was thinking of buying some copper pipe (cheap at bunnings) and hard mount the pipe to the underside of the car once you get away from the hot areas.. Could use the car body as a heatsink too.

Course once the LPG is on.. The intercooler comes out and I suddenly have lots of room under the front in the active cooling zone..

Hopefully picking up a bunch of shiny new 42 pound green tops today. The guy says they fit ls1 and should fit au/ba/bf too so I'll see if they match the el injectors I have in the shed cos au injectors fit in an el so therefore all should have the same top and bottom mounts and ev1 connector. Then it's just a matter of having my 3.5 inch cat installed and the turning and gas install can begin!

YUP.. the ad ended up being s**t.. the injectors were not new, and they were not bosch greentops.. they were Ford motorsport injectors. They looked in good nick and they were 42lb's so after some negotiation on the price I took them anyway. So now just need to find someone to put my 3.5 inch cat in and I can start the tuning process ready for the gas install.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

works!!! would still like to get a fan onto it somehow as the whole cooler gets too hot to touch after a hard drive.

now my cat takes over 8 litres of oil to fill... these turbo falcs are not cheap to run.

Also my oil filter has gone from a cheap Z9 to an expensive Z142AHE.... thems the breaks I guess.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:

now my cat takes over 8 litres of oil to fill... these turbo falcs are not cheap to run.

Yeah....they would be....pourin 8 litres of oil down the exhaust...... :shock:

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

cjh wrote:
frankieh wrote:

Stupid tablet keyboard.. Was sposed to say car obviously. :-)

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
cjh wrote:
frankieh wrote:

Stupid tablet keyboard.. Was sposed to say car obviously. :-)

Yeah....I know......just saw that the gate was open...and....weeelllllll................ :lol:

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]