Fordmods Logo

Which cam is better EL GLI or ED XR6? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Which cam is better EL GLI or ED XR6?
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I was out trying to source a early EL head and BBM, and I sourced an immaculate EL motor that looks in awesomely good nick, for $120.. so even though I only just put the ED motor in a few months ago.. I'm gonna pull it out again and put the whole EL motor in.. also sourced a ED XR6 5 speed gb to go with it.. and maybe a 3.45 LSD diff as well.

Anywyay, onto my question.. The current ED has a ED Xr6 cam in it.. The EL has the standard GLI cam.. but I've read somewhere that the EF cam was based on the ED XR6 cam.. so I'm wondering if maybe I'd be better off sticking with the standard cam?

any thoughts would be much appreciated..

gonna get to 14.5 on the 1/4 mile somehow :-)

rgds

Franki

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

In one of the articles on Jim Mock's web site, it mentions that the EDXR6 developed 161kw and the EFGLi had 157kw (flywheel output). I think the ELGLi cam is identical to the EFGLi's.

If you can afford it, I reckon a reground cam is a better option if you're looking for more rwKw.

How's the rewiring going with the EL ECU?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hi Shortshift..

It just got more complicated (the ecu wireup.)

Now I actually have an EL motor. (and a guy who wrecks 2 falcons a week, trying to source me a EL ghia ECU). I'm gonna have to work out the resistor trick to fool the ECU into thinking it's an auto in neutral in addition to the smartlock bypass and wiring the two looms together..

On the upside however, I don't have to worry about the TCM anymore as I'll have a manual gearbox. :-)

Been trying to find wiring that matches the color/stripes of the factory wire so i can keep it easy to work on later.. only place I've found it thus far is in other looms.. there must be some place that sells this stuff.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah.. I am thining that I'll sell the ED motor with the xR6 cam in it.. then get a wade lumpy as hell regrind..... if your gonna change cams, might as well make it worthwhile.. :-)

rgds

Frank

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]