Fordmods Logo

WHICH EXHAUST SYSTEM IS BEST FOR THE BA XR6?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: WHICH EXHAUST SYSTEM IS BEST FOR THE BA XR6??
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

hi guys. before someone says"do a search" i have already done one without any luck. im after a exhaust system including extractors for my BA XR6 manual. im asking on this forum as i know that you guys will give me a better idea as to whcih is best. thanks

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

either a lukey or redback 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, A high flow cat and some pacemaker headers should do the trick. I'd also recommend getting a hotdog to replace the rear muffler as i'll be doing soon just for a decent sound.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:09 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I was led to believe that a high flow cat only gives improvement on Turbo or Supercharged vehicles ?

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats what alot of people are led to believe however logically, a small cat is a restriction in the system, can't deny the phyics.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
thats what alot of people are led to believe however logically, a small cat is a restriction in the system, can't deny the phyics.

you're the one with a poor concept of physics.
standard flacon cats are fairly high flowing standard, they will only produce enough gases/emissions for the stock cfm to become a problem at about 5ish thou revs. Given our engines hit the limiter not far past that, it could most certainly be argued that a "hi flow cat" is a waste of money. And if you try and tell me "oh you can get a hi flow cat cheaper than that" i think if you do your research you will find that unless you spend 3-500 on a decent brand hi flow cat you will actually restrict your flow more.
Oh, and don't bother with a lukey unless you want that particular note, the redback mandrel bent with a rear hotdog is a much better system in terms of quality. So, my recommendation would be some decent extractors (pacies or something), stock cat (or if you insist on "high flow" just hollow out the factory cat) and a redback 2.5" mandrel bent.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:27 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

^^^ What's the difference with the Lukey system and the redback in terms of quality? My mate has a Lukey system on his BA XR6 (race mufflers not ultra flows) and it sounds absolutely horn!!!! The note is fantastic, has the nice rumble on idle and sounds bloody tough when reving it out. I havent heard another BA 6 which sounds as good.

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

YTMONT wrote:
smiley235 wrote:

you're the one with a poor concept of physics.
standard flacon cats are fairly high flowing standard, they will only produce enough gases/emissions for the stock cfm to become a problem at about 5ish thou revs. Given our engines hit the limiter not far past that, it could most certainly be argued that a "hi flow cat" is a waste of money. And if you try and tell me "oh you can get a hi flow cat cheaper than that" i think if you do your research you will find that unless you spend 3-500 on a decent brand hi flow cat you will actually restrict your flow more.
Oh, and don't bother with a lukey unless you want that particular note, the redback mandrel bent with a rear hotdog is a much better system in terms of quality. So, my recommendation would be some decent extractors (pacies or something), stock cat (or if you insist on "high flow" just hollow out the factory cat) and a redback 2.5" mandrel bent.

no, I wouldn't be saying to pickup a cheap cat at all, mine set me back at $290 which is 'expensive' compared to others. My car rev's out to 6k and if even if you think it only helps from 5 onwards, thats at least a 1000 of wasted power...

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

let me add, high revs is when the dual VCT really shines so that makes it even more important!!

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EA2 5 spd

NSW, Australia

2.5" if you want to keep a fairly standard motor but if your going further with ported throttle bodies, and cam or head work go for a 3" and pacemaker comps. get rid of the standard cat if your going 3"

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

XRCIST wrote:
^^^ What's the difference with the Lukey system and the redback in terms of quality? My mate has a Lukey system on his BA XR6 (race mufflers not ultra flows) and it sounds absolutely horn!!!! The note is fantastic, has the nice rumble on idle and sounds bloody tough when reving it out. I havent heard another BA 6 which sounds as good.

I have a friend that runs an exhaust place, apparently the Lukey systems used to be really good, until they were bought out by somebody (can't remember the name of them) now they're cheaply manufactured in china, and they are known to rattle apart as the fibreglass in the mufflers breaks up and clogs the system (hence obviously defying the point of a bigger exhaust) , particularly when they get a thrashing early on in their life before the carbon settles in the system properly. The redback however has much better build quality and are know to have a better lifespan.
The lukey does sound good though, it'sw just a shame they're not built right any more.

And smiley, i would be surprised if you even picked 1rwkw up out of your high flow cat, honestly, the flow difference is unnoticable with and engine that doesn't like to rev and with only a 2.5" behind it, they're designed for cars that reach 100% peak power at 6000 and above.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EA2 5 spd

NSW, Australia

just stick with hooker mufflers. owned by edelbrock they are an awesome muffler and a touch over 100 each at rocket ind. get a custom pipe made up and throw a pair of hooker mufflers in their. they usually charge about 250 for a custom mandrell bent system throw 2 mufflers in their or one muffler and a rez and that would be best.

if you aint doing more than intake exhaust and chip leave the standard cat if your going for an aftermarket intake manifold and other goodies get rid of it.
nizpro made 194 rwkw from a na i6 in that particular car (cam, springs, nizpro manifold etc) they picked up 10rwkw from going to a 3" system over a 2.5" system. also look at a xr8 or xr6t twin 2 1/4 system as these work very well on a n/a i6

personally i wouldnt put a high flow cat on a 2.5" system and especially not a generic highflow cat. it would either be metalcat or magnaflow. the generic highflow stuff probably only flows as good as the falcon one anyway.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

YTMONT wrote:

And smiley, i would be surprised if you even picked 1rwkw up out of your high flow cat, honestly, the flow difference is unnoticable with and engine that doesn't like to rev and with only a 2.5" behind it, they're designed for cars that reach 100% peak power at 6000 and above.

well, maybe or maybe not, its all speculation in the end until one of us actually does the dyno runs to see the difference but who has that money to throw around? I'm at least playing it safe.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA Falcon XT

SA, Australia

I dont think the original cat performs as well with 95 or 98 octane fuel, not to mention wrecking its lifespan. If you are going to using a Flash tuner or doing other mods in the future, you need a high flow cat. I got mine from exaust technology in Adelaide, they built the system for Street Fords project car, they deliver I think. I have a center and rear muffler, and it is pritty quiet at idle, and on the freeway, go for a hotdog on the back if you want it loud.

BA Falcon XT 6cyl: extractors, exhaust, cat, SS Inductions throttle body & CAI, K & N air filter, 20% underdrives, thermostat, CAPA Flash Tuner/Custom tuned, trans cooler
Hopefully soon: 4.11 LSD, Crow cams, BF XR6T valve springs

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Why wouldnt it be good to run 95/98 RON fuel? how does it wreck the cat? never heard this before.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA Falcon XT

SA, Australia

It is not designed to cope with the higher octane

BA Falcon XT 6cyl: extractors, exhaust, cat, SS Inductions throttle body & CAI, K & N air filter, 20% underdrives, thermostat, CAPA Flash Tuner/Custom tuned, trans cooler
Hopefully soon: 4.11 LSD, Crow cams, BF XR6T valve springs

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next