Fordmods Logo

Which K&N Pod filter for standard EF air box 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Which K&N Pod filter for standard EF air box
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 50

Posts: 480

Joined: 10th Feb 2005

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

Location: Mandurah
WA, Australia

I have searched but but found nothing spesific on the type of pod filter required to fit into the standard EF air box. I did find some K&N filters with a 30 and 20 degree angled flange (RC4790,SN2620), but only with a 70mm inside flange measurment, these may fit but dont want to shell out the dollars with out being sure. Any one succesfully fitted a pod filter.

 

_________________

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 50

Posts: 480

Joined: 10th Feb 2005

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

Location: Mandurah
WA, Australia

I know modifications will need to be done to fit a pod filter, I have started making cardboard replicas of some K&N filters (using measurements and specs of there web page) to see which one might fit. Has any one been through this exersize already or know of a pod that will fit, like maybe the one JMM use.

 

_________________

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

why so keen on a pod filter?

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 50

Posts: 480

Joined: 10th Feb 2005

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

Location: Mandurah
WA, Australia

Gday Interceptor, have read/heard the pod will flow better if you can get one with more surface area than the panel filter into the air box, if this is going to be minimal will settle for the panel filter . But i do like to play and make/create things a little different to the norm. Or if finances will allow Id like to remove the air box and replace with after market canister and pod set up.

 

_________________

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 5313

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

Location: Melbourne, S.E Suburbs
VIC, Australia

well incase you do decide to go panel, part # for panel is 33-2015

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 131

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED fairmont

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

why not just the pod with a home made heat shield?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 131

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED fairmont

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

chucked on a pod myself today, why do you need it in the air box?, i have it comin off the pipe that goes into the airbox, braced to the chassis and made a metal plate to seperate the pod from the rest of the engine bay, the xh snorkle is puttin air into the pod part of the engine bay, and gonna get heat shield material to chuck on other side of the metal plate, can post picks later on in the week if you wantin to do this instead of in the airbox or other whack s**t
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 50

Posts: 480

Joined: 10th Feb 2005

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

Location: Mandurah
WA, Australia

Thanks for the part # Chunkz I might go with the panel option for the moment my paper filter is well and truley ready for replacement.
Edfarmint I hadn't even considered a pod with the heat shield, but standing looking at my engine bay, beer in hand, even though a bit of work is involved I think it it's the option to go with. I have got a pretty good idea in my head of what I will do but some pictures would be great.

 

_________________

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

personally i reckon any gains from fitting a pod would be negligible considering the effort required to fit one, as well as the potential for hassle from the cops if you get pulled over

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:28 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 131

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED fairmont

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

The one i have crackin at the moment me and my mates all reckon sounds either a) like a v8, or b) like a lancer with the cannon exhaust but from engine bay. atm its pretty shonky heat shield with just the metal plate, but is workin pretty much as cold air intake, will chuck some pics up this arvo of so far, and to be honest Interceptor, i have had more trouble goin to the toilet, you just chuck it over the rubber piping stuff that is already there, use the brace to tighten, attach a brace to the top and bolt to the hold the norm airbox was and she is apples
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 8

Joined: 19th Nov 2004

Ride: ED WotGLI

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
personally i reckon any gains from fitting a pod would be negligible considering the effort required to fit one, as well as the potential for hassle from the cops if you get pulled over


TOOOOOOOOOOO EASY

I've chucked pods onto everycar I've owned. LOVE THE ENGINE NOTE GROWWWWWWWWL!!!

No hassles as long as you only have one. if you have 2 air intakes that when you get problems with the men in blue.

 

_________________

I don't hate holdens. They're a fine car. I just hate holden drivers.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 2215

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

specterum wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
personally i reckon any gains from fitting a pod would be negligible considering the effort required to fit one, as well as the potential for hassle from the cops if you get pulled over


TOOOOOOOOOOO EASY

I've chucked pods onto everycar I've owned. LOVE THE ENGINE NOTE GROWWWWWWWWL!!!

No hassles as long as you only have one. if you have 2 air intakes that when you get problems with the men in blue.


Interceptor..

the theory as you can see is "AW MA GAWD IT SOUNDS SIK BRO" .. so the sound is what makes it goes hard.. nothing to do with actual performance and that a panel filter was proven better on the dyno by several magazines who tried it out and few other blokes (mick webb, jmm etc) .. but you know, the slight tone it makes from sucking hot air makes it sik le! :P lol

Realistically a k&n or redline air filter (panel) should be used, not a wog filter
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 927

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

fuzion wrote:
specterum wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
personally i reckon any gains from fitting a pod would be negligible considering the effort required to fit one, as well as the potential for hassle from the cops if you get pulled over


TOOOOOOOOOOO EASY

I've chucked pods onto everycar I've owned. LOVE THE ENGINE NOTE GROWWWWWWWWL!!!

No hassles as long as you only have one. if you have 2 air intakes that when you get problems with the men in blue.


Interceptor..

the theory as you can see is "AW MA GAWD IT SOUNDS SIK BRO" .. so the sound is what makes it goes hard.. nothing to do with actual performance and that a panel filter was proven better on the dyno by several magazines who tried it out and few other blokes (mick webb, jmm etc) .. but you know, the slight tone it makes from sucking hot air makes it sik le! :P lol

Realistically a k&n or redline air filter (panel) should be used, not a wog filter


So why do the XR6 turbos use an enclosed pod then?

Mines in the open now and I find it better than standard but i'm modifying my box to stop sucking hot air in.

 

_________________

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2976

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BF Typhoon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Smackdown wrote:
fuzion wrote:
specterum wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
personally i reckon any gains from fitting a pod would be negligible considering the effort required to fit one, as well as the potential for hassle from the cops if you get pulled over


TOOOOOOOOOOO EASY

I've chucked pods onto everycar I've owned. LOVE THE ENGINE NOTE GROWWWWWWWWL!!!

No hassles as long as you only have one. if you have 2 air intakes that when you get problems with the men in blue.


Interceptor..

the theory as you can see is "AW MA GAWD IT SOUNDS SIK BRO" .. so the sound is what makes it goes hard.. nothing to do with actual performance and that a panel filter was proven better on the dyno by several magazines who tried it out and few other blokes (mick webb, jmm etc) .. but you know, the slight tone it makes from sucking hot air makes it sik le! :P lol

Realistically a k&n or redline air filter (panel) should be used, not a wog filter


So why do the XR6 turbos use an enclosed pod then?

Mines in the open now and I find it better than standard but i'm modifying my box to stop sucking hot air in.

Maybe becuase that specific modle will work well with one?
Why did 90% of our fords come with a panel filter?
Thats not a very accurate argument.
Its been proven that a good panel filter will out flow a pod on the same engine..
Also an exposed pod filter is illegal, must be boxed or enclosed like the xr6t's.

Do what you want guys, pod filters are just another way of doing the same thing; if it made an improvment, all cars would have them on as itd be the easiest way for car manufactures to increase the cars output/note for the least cost - yet they do not, go figure.

Enjoy.

 

_________________

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 2215

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

very well said dan-ee-all ..

spot on !
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names