Fordmods Logo

Why is my fuel use so high? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Why is my fuel use so high?
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

Recently the module on my XH decided to die so it was replaced. I replaced the leads, plugs and dizzy rotor and cap at the same time. Then the timing seemed way off but it was adjusted. That helped a bit but it then proceeded to burn about 20% more fuel on the highway (about 14l/100km) and heaps more in the city. It was also boggy below 1500-2000rpm and the exhaust popped and spat a bit when I backed of the accelerator.

Today the timing was done again and the guy said that the timing mark wasn't steady in the gun light so it was hard to set the timing properly as the mark was a bit all over the place. I still have the same problems as I did before.

I can't think of anything else that could be the fault (fuel, air filter, valves, O2 sensor) and this all started straight after the work on the module and ignition components.

What could be causing this? Any help would be really good cause it's pretty annoying.

Post subject: Re: Why is my fuel use so high?
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:54 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Sorry the only tip i can give you is find another Mechanic

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Did you put it into diagnostic mode to set the timing by shorting the two pins in the diagnostics plug?

The base timing needs to be set in diagnostic mode then the computer uses this as the base timing so it can redard/advance correctly.

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

If the vehicle is in timing mode, and the timing mark still dances around, there is a problem with the timing chain or parts there of.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the only thing i can add to what cjh said is, Have you checked that the mark on the balancer is actually TDC and that the outer of the balancer hasn't moved.

It's a rare thing to find an early falcon balancer that is still bonded properly

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

it could have moved even about 5 mm and that still can make all the difference when i rebuilt mine i put a new one on i thought why not then you know everything is done but try taking the spark plugs out and cranking the motor over by HAND and check when the piston is at TDC by poking the screwdriver in the spark plug hole ant mark on the balance (if its out) the NEW TDC and set your timing from there

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
it could have moved even about 5 mm and that still can make all the difference when i rebuilt mine i put a new one on i thought why not then you know everything is done but try taking the spark plugs out and cranking the motor over by HAND and check when the piston is at TDC by poking the screwdriver in the spark plug hole ant mark on the balance (if its out) the NEW TDC and set your timing from there

If you find the balancer has slipped leave the TDC mark where it is and through the rooted balancer in the bin and fit a new one.

Have you ever seen what happens when a balancer comes off at a few thousand RPM
It's not a cheap thing to fix thats for sure. new balancer is far cheaper

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yes i know but what i was saying for the time being till he can afford to buy a new one ( either because it has to be ordered and car is needed to get too and from work ) it can be dont till the new one is installed but i wouldn't recommend thrashing the car till the new one is installed id be treating it like a sheet of glass very careful ha ha they can cost upwards of 600 bucks to fix ive seen what happens when they let go in a VN 5speed V6 and its not nice lol

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

The timing was checked with the 2 pins shorted (used the service manual).

I haven't even though about the balancer being loose so that will be first job. If it's something that could blow up in my engine bay then I think I'll replace it regardless.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

your mechanics a tosser. somethings gone a miss with the timing marks on the dissy and the balancer. get someone who knows how to properly check the marks and it'll be fine. Fixed my probs not long back

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

any qualified mechanic and anybody that knows cars. Knows that timing marks dont dance unless the chain is loose or something of that nature. it not normal!!!!!

and on the eighth day God created the Falcon

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Yeah not only will the f**k let fly causing potential damage, but you also lose steering etc. which if your in a bad spot say about to make a turn, can be a bad situation to get in.
remember it's only a falcon, there not actually to badly priced, especially considering one or a triton v6 is more like 400

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Thomas123 wrote:
The timing was checked with the 2 pins shorted (used the service manual).

I haven't even though about the balancer being loose so that will be first job. If it's something that could blow up in my engine bay then I think I'll replace it regardless.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Did you wait APPROX 2mins after shorting the pins for the ECU to enter static timing mode. The engine will be heard too stumble, now you have 2mins to set the timing. From the sound of things you have retarded the ign timing by about 15degrees because you didn't wait 2mins. XH,EL ECU's are different to EA_ED's which go into static timing straight away.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Quote:
Did you wait APPROX 2mins after shorting the pins for the ECU to enter static timing mode. The engine will be heard too stumble, now you have 2mins to set the timing. From the sound of things you have retarded the ign timing by about 15degrees because you didn't wait 2mins. XH,EL ECU's are different to EA_ED's which go into static timing straight away.

I have the Ford XH service manual in front of me and it says that after shorting the pins and starting the car, the engine should rev to about 1300rpm within a few seconds, indicating the self-test has started. I don't think I have to wait the 2 mins, but maybe I do.

I can't get it looked at until next week and don't have the time this weekend to do it myself, so I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

You have to wait until all the error codes are passed which could take between 2-5 minutes depending on how many codes there are. The engine revs will drop after it's done with the codes ,sit there and watch the balancer until it does because the timing mark will move about 15 degrees to the right like el_fairmont said.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next