Post subject: Re: Why not in the U.S
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
The V6 in just about every case doesn't make the amount of torque as the I6 though

the reason this is the case is most V configuration 6's go for an oversquare design for better top end poke. V6 config engines also require balancing shafts to tame the vibration of the motor, which robs power a tiny bit.

If they wanted to ford 'could' design a much more powerful i6, its just fuel economy and tough as nails reliabilty goes out the window to a degree. wait until they get DI in the i6. I sincerely hope they do a good job engineering a complete engine package, not just whack DI on the current motor.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

DI would be a good leap forward, especially if they can do it with LPG Liquid Injection. Then they don't have to worry as much about fuel economy because of the price economy in the equation. But DI will help with fuel economy by raising the engines VE, or at least that's what i keep reading......

I think the v6 less torque argument could be settled if we built a V6 with the same swept capacity, same sized bore & stroke as the I6, and the same overall cylinder head design (chambers & port shape). All things given, they should be close enough to equal that it wouldn't matter, if they weren't equal.

I do hope ford redesigns the cylinder head of the current I6 to support DI, rather than kill off the I6 in favor of a smaller v6. If buyers are really fussy on the economy issue, why can't they run a cylinder shutdown program like the current v8 holdens & some honda's?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The 4.0 OHC V6 in the Explorer were very torquey, and went like stink with the 5sp auto.....and the Explorer wasn't light either.....but the pushrod 4.0 V6 was crap....no go about it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

If the V6 is anything like a V4 on a motorcycle then the I6 will win the power-stakes hands down all day every day.

Look at the firing intervals. Assuming you have your crank pins in the same configuration as the I6, then you will get an irregular firing pattern. Some cylinders will fire closer together whilst for others there will be a greater gap. As the crank rotates you will get a big surge of power during the close firing interval and then you will almost get nothing during the gap.

Look at the Yamaha Big bang R1 as a perfect example of the limitations of a V configuration firing order. And before you all jump up and say "nerr nerrr dmmy its an inline 4". I know that but its cross plane crank is designed to replicate a 90 degree V4 engine. It was the most cost effective method of producing an engine with V4 characteristics. Even though the new engine has made the R1 more rideable and less likely to highside, it has turned a once scary bike into a gutless bucket of s**t compared to all of the flat crank I4 litre bikes getting around.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xcabbi wrote:
If the V6 is anything like a V4 on a motorcycle then the I6 will win the power-stakes hands down all day every day.

Look at the firing intervals. Assuming you have your crank pins in the same configuration as the I6, then you will get an irregular firing pattern. Some cylinders will fire closer together whilst for others there will be a greater gap. As the crank rotates you will get a big surge of power during the close firing interval and then you will almost get nothing during the gap.

Look at the Yamaha Big bang R1 as a perfect example of the limitations of a V configuration firing order. And before you all jump up and say "nerr nerrr dmmy its an inline 4". I know that but its cross plane crank is designed to replicate a 90 degree V4 engine. It was the most cost effective method of producing an engine with V4 characteristics. Even though the new engine has made the R1 more rideable and less likely to highside, it has turned a once scary bike into a gutless bucket of s**t compared to all of the flat crank I4 litre bikes getting around.

I used to own a hilux with an ODD fire chev V6, over the years they started to use offset crank pins to have a semi odd fire and then finally an even fire engine, they then bought the rights the Buick V6 (an even fire engine) that became the GM v6 we know in the commodore.

The original Odd fire engine was basicly a 307 V8 with 2 cyls missing of one end.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

So in your experience how does the irregular fire V6 compare to the even fire V6?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2