Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Worst news today
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
yeah what he said was, you could go down the path of doing the head, but I may find that once its opened I could find that it may not be worth it as there may be more issues with the amount of water that seems to have been let in. The car is running pretty bad as well.

Thanks mate, I think il go down the path of getting a EL tickford motor. But I have done a quick read and even this motor isnt a simple swap? Is it difficult for a motor mechanic to put a EL into the EF? Or am I looking at more than say, $400 for an install ?

im pretty sure ef and el engines are the same can someone quote me on this?

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
daniel000 wrote:
yeah what he said was, you could go down the path of doing the head, but I may find that once its opened I could find that it may not be worth it as there may be more issues with the amount of water that seems to have been let in. The car is running pretty bad as well.

Thanks mate, I think il go down the path of getting a EL tickford motor. But I have done a quick read and even this motor isnt a simple swap? Is it difficult for a motor mechanic to put a EL into the EF? Or am I looking at more than say, $400 for an install ?

EF - coil pack ignition
EL - dizzy and coil
Everything else is the same (except loom, ecu, etc...)

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EFNA wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
daniel000 wrote:

What do you guys think. Should I go down the path of getting say a EL tickford engine and getting that installed? Do you guys think that would be like getting a new car again ?

No your car will be the same s**t box with a different old engine in it.

bit harsh mate, about 50% of cars on this forum would be sh*t boxes with different engines by your standards, inc people that have done AU-BA conversions....

Either way you do it Daniel000, it isnt gonna be cheap. but i wouldnt get another E series, you could end up with alot worse

Both my cars are s**t.

My point is the a different engine does not give you a new car. not even half a new car.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mont5.0 wrote:
how much you willing to spend on this? Cheap AU's can be had, or another E series thats been looked after and maintained- that way you can use yours for spares.

Well as cheap as possible. So, say doing the head will cost me 1,000 and I may run into more dramas when they take of the cover so I should really say upwards of 1k. I think its best for me to look out for a EL tickford engine hoping for around 180,000 on the clock. Going for another car just isnt in my price range atm.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
daniel000 wrote:
Well I'm loosing coolant and I only changed my spark plugs less than 2 months ago. And a compression test was completed and he found low compression on all cylinders. I have noticed on some days that the car is blowing a bit of smoke too.

Also with the rad cap, even when the car is cool there is pressure in there.

I really appreciate the concern SWC and I do wish I had a strong motor like yours, but I think i have done a head gasket.

turf the engine no offence mate but she sounds f**k hows the body?

Yeah I'l hold onto it as long as possible, body is OK. but just with money, I have no choice but to keep it and go down the path of getting another motor

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the sam wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
daniel000 wrote:

EF - coil pack ignition
EL - dizzy and coil

Thanks mate

I guess my next question is how much people charge to put in a EL motor ? Will they even do it ?

Tomorrow after work will be time dedicated to ringing around and trying to find one!

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

quick question on the topic of changing motors in the car.lets say i want to fit an au xr6 motor in my el xr6, is the wiring loom still the same? do i have to change the computer? will it bolt onto my original gear box? and ive also read somewhere on the forum that you dont need to modify the sump you can just fit the timing chain cover and sump off the old el motor, is this tru? im looking at either swapping motors or just recoing my motor as i have the same problem as daniel000 does.
cheers daniel

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

also its the vct motor of the au's

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

the sam wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
daniel000 wrote:

EF - coil pack ignition
EL - dizzy and coil

ahh yes i forgot about the coil and dizzy lol

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Do you feel confident (maybe with a few mates?) to do your own engine swap? You might be cheapest to look out for a defected/crashed car with a good engine and just bite the bullet and do it yourself. Reason I suggest that rather than buying a motor alone? 1)you can hear it run / maybe even take it for a drive 2) you also get a trans, diff, whatever spares either for your own car or to sell off to offset the cost of buying the car in the 1st place 3) its often just as cheap, maybe cheaper, to buy someone elses whole car they want to p!ss off..

I know its obviously not the same model etc but this is what I did putting a 351 in my car, ended up making a profit of around a grand , not counting the cost of the engine itself and other stuff I used off the donor car...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Engine swaps are easy mate..

I am not a mechanic, and I converted my car to a manual as well as swapping in an engine I knocked up myself.. and it cost me about a grand all up. (including the manual gearbox, the engine and all the parts I needed).

ebay does quite well from me. :-)

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
daniel000 wrote:
Well I'm loosing coolant and I only changed my spark plugs less than 2 months ago. And a compression test was completed and he found low compression on all cylinders. I have noticed on some days that the car is blowing a bit of smoke too.

Also with the rad cap, even when the car is cool there is pressure in there.

I really appreciate the concern SWC and I do wish I had a strong motor like yours, but I think i have done a head gasket.

turf the engine no offence mate but she sounds f**k hows the body?

Yeah I'l hold onto it as long as possible, body is OK. but just with money, I have no choice but to keep it and go down the path of getting another motor

If your getting a secondhand motor and you don't know its history then you could be back in the same position in 6 months. If its is just the head gasket then fix it yourself. However if the bottom end is also stuffed then I'd go with a motor swap, preferably out of a car that is still going

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Id love to do it myself, but I just dont think I'd be able to do it and dont want to stuff it up. The guy was worried that Id get the top off the motor and find more issues with it.

I'm going to do my best in getting another motor, just hoping to get one from a write off or something like that

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
Id love to do it myself, but I just dont think I'd be able to do it and dont want to stuff it up. The guy was worried that Id get the top off the motor and find more issues with it.

I'm going to do my best in getting another motor, just hoping to get one from a write off or something like that

Really, getting another motor is nowhere near as complex as trying to fix what you already have... with a new motor, essentially, you disconnect all the wires and hoses, unbolt trans , engine mounts etc, remove radiator and anything else in the way, lift the oldie out, bolt the newie in, reconnect everything. If it ran in the car it came out of then getting it going is a no-brainer - compare that with , as you say, pulling the head then finding a whole bunch of other things that require machining and/or other complex stuff...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

quote="wild-el"

quick question on the topic of changing motors in the car.lets say i want to fit an au xr6 motor in my el xr6,

Q) is the wiring loom still the same?
A) You us ethe loom from your existing car.

Q) do i have to change the computer?
A) You use the EL Comp. You will need to fit the Dizzy from your EL to the AU motor. Recommend that you use the gear from the AU Oil Drive adaptor, where you dizzy goes and fit to your dizzy. That way gear match.

Q) will it bolt onto my original gear box?
A) Yes but 2 bolts on the bell housing will not line up. Is not an issue but if you can get an AU Bellhousing all the better.

Q) and ive also read somewhere on the forum that you dont need to modify the sump you can just fit the timing chain cover and sump off the old el motor, is this tru?
A) NO IT IS NOT. you need to modify the sump, which is legal or cut the subframe which is not. Don't believe anything that Shane Falcon Futura wrote.

There are a few threads about fitting AU motors to E series, do a search on google, it's easier than the search here. Sorry Brad but its true.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next