Fordmods Logo

WTF somthings up 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: WTF somthings up
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Molloy wrote:
Hey lads just got back from the races, Ive got a question

My falcon, mods are : Port polished shaved head, RPD R6 cam+verner gear (not dialed up sitting on 0) , 4499 extractors and 2 1/2inch exhaust, ss inductions snorkel with 3 inch mandrel pipe with K&N filter, car is auto, just under 200,000kms

Mates Fairmont, Mods : cheap pod in a box, Wildcat extractors 2 1/2 inch exhaust, auto 267000kms.

We raced from 40kms running start, The whole time i only just managed to get him by a nose length by the end? somthing must be up I should have smoked him yes? i am at a loss to what happened, he has nothing else done but the mods listed anyone have any suggestions,
im cut ive spent thousands on it only to nearly get smoked by a near stock fairmont

i am at a loss to understand why my car is performing so bad. Ive serviced it the works but its still underperforming :evil: any qlues?

so lets get this right. you have a ported head a cam thats just been shoved in. an exhaust system and an intake, running stock management.

do you know what your feuling is like? rich? lean? all over the place?
the cams not set to where it was designed to be.
and does the ignition timming suit the new mods?

yes i know other people do the same thing and have no problems, but not every engine is the same. and there are planty of poeple that use one cam and it works well and gets good results, but other people have used the same cam and found the it under performs.

you can't expect a bunch of random parts to work in harmony

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
Not all eseries are created equal. Just depends how well the engines have held up over the years. For instance I changed from a hybrid EL motor to an EF XR6 motor which is supposed to have only minimal increase but the difference it made was phenomenal just because my old engine was f**k.

Yeah...what he said.

Good comparison would be me and MooseMan. Same mods, down the drag strip...I had him off the line but his car bet me in the end...this was with an auto box. We both then changed our gear boxes to T5s and he cut his time by about 0.6 seconds? (correct me Rod) and I ran about the same time down the quater as if it was still auto. I should have been running about 15.8 - 16s 1/4 miles, but I ran 16.4s with both auto and manual...

SO it just depends how healthy the internals of the engine is.

BTW loss of power could also be due to vacuum leak...since you have done a fair amount of mods, you may have left a tiny vacuum leak somewhere? Mine ran like a bucket of s**t when the rocker cover wasn't on properly and had a small gap.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Molloy wrote:

My falcon, mods are : Port polished shaved head, RPD R6 cam+verner gear (not dialed up sitting on 0) , 4499 extractors and 2 1/2inch exhaust, ss inductions snorkel with 3 inch mandrel pipe with K&N filter, car is auto, just under 200,000kms

Mates Fairmont, Mods : cheap pod in a box, Wildcat extractors 2 1/2 inch exhaust, auto 267000kms.

We raced from 40kms running start, The whole time i only just managed to get him by a nose length by the end? somthing must be up I should have smoked him yes? i am at a loss to what happened, he has nothing else done but the mods listed anyone have any suggestions,
im cut ive spent thousands on it only to nearly get smoked by a near stock fairmont

i am at a loss to understand why my car is performing so bad. Ive serviced it the works but its still underperforming :evil: any qlues?

so lets get this right. you have a ported head a cam thats just been shoved in. an exhaust system and an intake, running stock management.

do you know what your feuling is like? rich? lean? all over the place?
the cams not set to where it was designed to be.
and does the ignition timming suit the new mods?

yes i know other people do the same thing and have no problems, but not every engine is the same. and there are planty of poeple that use one cam and it works well and gets good results, but other people have used the same cam and found the it under performs.

you can't expect a bunch of random parts to work in harmony
Ok how can we fix it then, would the best way would be to put it on a dyno suss it all out and go from there? First things first I will dial up the cam and see what happens.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Molloy wrote:
Ok how can we fix it then, would the best way would be to put it on a dyno suss it all out and go from there? First things first I will dial up the cam and see what happens.

first thing, get a pressure gauge hooked up to the exhaust system to make sure you don't have much back pressure. (back pressure hurts power end of story)

then get the cam dialed to spec. and get the AFRs checked.
ignition timming is key. it need to be right. and we are not just talking a small twist of the dizzy.

once you the get fuel right . try the cam at 2deg retarded and 2deg advance.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

to summarise what others have pointed out-

your wheels will slow you down
you have not tuned your mods (whats the point of putting the cam in if its not dialled in?)

I also would like to ask this-

what sort of fairmont was your mates car? did it have an LSD and what ratio? if it was a ghia from 1996 onwards it had a tickford motor and a better diff.

Id say a fairy ghia with the better engine lsd and exhaust should actually be faster then your non dialed in falcon with bling wheels.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

Im running a new built RPD motor with what you have but the best thing I did was get rid of the auto an put in a T5 and it was quick then replaced the single spinner 3.7 diff to EL 3.45 lsd and was amazed how much it changed. With my 16 x 8 Simmons with 255 x50 it lites up 1st and second put on xr6chicks 17 x 7 with 245 x 55 BFG Scorchers and Hazen tells me they grip no spin only a chirp (i have a company car so only drive weekends) .

With the 260k motor with the auto it gets 127kw 304 nm at the wheels it I thought it was good but now it is excelent I have only dyno the new motor with 3000km on it at the last dyno day but it was out and 135rwk 337 nm.

In Henry I Trust

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Molloy wrote:

what port work was done and by who? a bad port job will ruin power big time

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Molloy wrote:

what port work was done and by who? a bad port job will ruin power big time
The port work was done by jay from RPD,

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
to summarise what others have pointed out-

your wheels will slow you down
you have not tuned your mods (whats the point of putting the cam in if its not dialled in?)

I also would like to ask this-

what sort of fairmont was your mates car? did it have an LSD and what ratio? if it was a ghia from 1996 onwards it had a tickford motor and a better diff.

Id say a fairy ghia with the better engine lsd and exhaust should actually be faster then your non dialed in falcon with bling wheels.
The fairmont is just the stocker non ticky engine, but it has got the 3.23 diff in it.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

might be silly question but have you reset your ECU since you done those mods. Might help, let your car relearn itself

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

what edfairmont4.0 said
- get a decent cam...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FAST-XR wrote:
what edfairmont4.0 said
- get a decent cam...

every cam is decent... just designed to do different things.

just need to make sure every thing around the cam suits it.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
might be silly question but have you reset your ECU since you done those mods. Might help, let your car relearn itself
Yeah that was the first thing I did. Ive advanced the vernier much better down low now, Im putting it on a dyno in saturday to have a look at all the readings and taking it from there,

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Whiteknight1 wrote:
Sombody is going to post back telling me that my next statement is just rubbish, but i'm a firm believer that there are some motors that roll off the production line as absolute gems.

That couldnt be closer to the truth. had it happen to me many times with various engines

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2