Fordmods Logo

xf distributor help needed urgently!!! :cry: 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: xf distributor help needed urgently!!! :cry:
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xf fairmont

New Zealand

ive got an 85 fairmont 4.1 and im temporarily replacing it with an 86 falcon 3.3 engine while i get the 4.1 worked. the problem is that the 4.1 has a 2 wire dizzy while the 3.3 has a dizzy with a box attached to the side of it with a 3 wire plug out of it. the wires on the 4.1 (no plug) go straight to the coil. are the dizzys a straight swap or would the 4.1 dizzy need to be re-graphed? or any ideas on how to wire up the 3.3 dizzy to the orriginal 2 wire 4.1 wiring loom????????

fords rule 4eva!!

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:34 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hang on a minute.

The dizzy will be a straight swap from 4.1 engine to 3.3 engine.

I assume what you have on the 3.3 though is the EST (Electronic Spark Timing) computer. (Remove the passenger kick panel on the donor car to reveal it).

So the "dizzy" you have is fitted with a hall effect sender. Hence it has three wires and a black plug screwed to the side of the housing. The three wires go to the ecu. Wires from the ecu then go to the coil.

I have played with these things quite a bit. Probably the easiest thing to do is to remove the EST dizzy and just swap everything over to the parts from the 4.1 ensuring that you set it up at TDC #1.

Red to coil positive and Green to coil negative. I reckon i could do this in my sleep.

One of the other things you may encounter is swapping the caps and rotor buttons. There are two types of caps (male and female terminals) and three types of rotor buttons. Just use whatever is already on the 4.1

If you get stuck for parts (dizzy's etc) give me a yell, i'm happy to post to NZ.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Yes you will need to regraph the dizzy to siut the moded 4.1 to get the best from it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]