Fordmods Logo

xg stumbles when dead cold first thing in the morning 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: xg stumbles when dead cold first thing in the morning
Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford xg ute

NSW, Australia

hi guys ive got a 95 xg 4L manual and when go to take off first thing in the morning I carrys on and sometime stalls. its hard to explain it starts with its usual long crank, idles fine but when I go to take off and accelerate(not flogging it just normal) itl run rough for about 5 seconds then after that its fine (its almost like a carby car that's cold and trying to drive it dead cold with no choke on)

ive replaced fuel filter including the one in the tank, fuel injectors, coil, leads plugs, carried out compression test (ok) had the resistance of the temp sender check,set the timing etc.
any ideas? after it has its first 5 second stumble it drive fine after that. I have noticed that it doesn't hold fuel pressure when its turned off(should the reg let it hold pressure in the rail when off?) when it is running and driving its around 220kpa.

ive had ford no a code test with no codes logged. I like the old ute but this is starting to s**t me

any help would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: xg stumbles when dead cold first thing in the morning
Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Sounds like something fuel related, when the fuel pressure reg screwed up in my XG it would do the same as what you have described, took a bit longer cranking then would nearly start then stall and seemed a bit down on power. What i discovered was when it was sitting idling and i revved it, she would rev and then drop back to nearly stall, you could try that if you like just boot the accelerator and watch the revs go up and fall and see if it returns to idle or drops and nearly stalls... thats what i did anyway haha.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok cool, thanks for the reply, did yours do it all the time or just when cold? mine only seems to be when dead cold. did the fuel reg fix yours?

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

New fuel reg fixed mine, when it had warmed up it was better, wouldn't stall and would start okay and rev better and drive okay but still was not right. Even when it was warm it still noticeably was down on power, but my regulator could of been worse than yours...

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

no worries. cool thanks for the info, ive got a mate who works at ripco and can do me a bosch reg for $110 trade so il hit him up when he comes back from holidays next week.

cheers.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah i was shocked when i seen the price of them, hope it works for ya

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

problem solved, I chucked a fuel pressure gauge on the out line from the fuel tank and primed the fuel system, the pressure built up to around 220kpa than went back to 0 after the pump was turned off, I then crimped the line between the gauge and fuel rail and it did the same thing so I knew the problem was inside the tank, I removed the sender and found between the fuel pump and the steel fitting on the sender there isn't a hose joining the two just this plastic fitting piece that was all C**k and leaking I removed that and replaced it with a bit of fuel hose and two clamps. it now starts immediately, revs normal, doesn't stutter or try to stall. its now got 270kpa of pressure at idle and holds around 150kpa of pressure when off. im very happy the old girl is working good again. cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]