XG Ute - Fitting EL Radiator or EL Thermo Fans 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XG Ute - Fitting EL Radiator or EL Thermo Fans
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 XG XR6 Ford Falcon Utility

WA, Australia

Hi all
I have an XG XR6 1995 Ute that needs a new radiator that has a slightly burst seam in the plastic.
It has also run a bit hot for a while and havent been able to work out why so I am guessing the radiator has some blocks, although the water seems to run nice and fast when looking in the overflow.
Anyway, I am able to get some EL Thermo fans, and have been told these should make it run cooler anyway and of course much quieter.

As such I was wondering what option is better:
1. Replace the Radiator with one for an XG (Chinese but with copper core for $190) 32mm thick single core or two core.... Then modify the EL thermo fans to fit.
2. Replace the Radiator with one for an EL (There is 52mm Full Aluminium available for around the same price?? otherwise it seems EL radiators are 26mm thick??)

If anyone has experience in either or both of these mods, can you let me know how easy the EL radiator mod into XG or the EL fan mod onto XG Radiator would be?

Any good experiences on replacement radiators would also be helpful.

There is an old thread here but it doesnt really indicate to me which might be the better way to go. And it also seems to raise more questions for me such as is it better to move the top bracket over? or to get and XH mount? or an EL mount and weld that in? Do the bottom mounts fit as is? etc etc:
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/ef-el-radiator-and-thermofans-in-to-xg-4-0l-ute-t82792-15.html
The relevant comments from it are:
I tried to put them in but the fans were too big for the radiator, so I installed an EF-EL radiator but to do that I had to change the mounts a bit and you have to block the small pipe in the middle on the drivers side.
the eb/ed radiator is wider then xg,there the same height but the eb/ed is 65mm wider...
I moved only the Passenger side mounts as the bottom mount supports the tank I moved it further out then welded the top to suit as its 60-80mm or so wider very easy 10-15 min once the radiator is out
You would need to weld in a EF or EL radiator support panel, and the you might aswell convert to a XH front. Ash Cook did this with his XF ute.
Why Weld that in you just move the standard top bracket over?
So you can use a EF rad support? I thought you used a XH one, are they the same Ash?
Yeah man. The only thing XH is bonnet and guards as they blend from the XF/XG cabin to the EF/EL bumper/lights. XH's were bitsers of almost every car Ford was making at the time.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: XG Ute - Fitting EL Radiator or EL Thermo Fans
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Your right, they are bitsas of EA and XF. EA running gear fitted to the XF body. With a couple of unique adaptor parts.
Pretty sure they run an EA style radiator, with no side outlet for the header tank from memory.

The ELs have smaller outlets so you'll have to customize the hose and block the side outlet if you went with an EL one.

I've fitted the thermo fan setup off my fairlane to a mates XG panelvan and they mounted up the same. I used a set off an AU.
From memory I might have needed to snap off some of the lower corner to go around the bottom hose and sit properly.

It isn't that tricky though, with a little ingenuity you can mount them up no problems.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The bottom outlet on the EL radiator is smaller than an XG one.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hi mate, I'd stick with the XG radiator with ef el thermo's, in my xg I used the ef fans and got the 2-3 feet of the wiring & connections from the ef which I connected up to 2 relays and Davies Craig thermatic switch otherwise you'll need a ef/el ecu to trigger them. P.s .also used ef thermostat housing and hose.

Attachments:
IMG_201403010659.jpg
IMG_201403010659.jpg [ 39.46 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

Hope this thread isnt too old to still get some help from.

for anyone not laughing their asses off at me from my misfortune during my EF Tickford into EA build.. the situation is this

EL ECU with J3
Forced to use EA Intake
EF radiator

Have put thermo fans on, but no idea how to make the bad boys run. We have an external switch but not sure where to mount it.

The ECU should control these?

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

What tune do you have on the J3? EA?

Why are you forced to use the EA intake? Not that it matters with the thermos anyway.

Thermos cant be run off the ecu. too tricky to figure out the wiring..

Create a independent loom to power them and use a Thermatic fan switch to control them on and off.

I can send you a diagram of how i wired mine if you like, just let me know.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hi mate, yea you can use the ecu to trigger them (should be something in the tech documents) as your using a el ecu, in that photo above thermos are with a thermatic switch which is not to hard either-probe goes in top radiator hose to a switch to adjust the temperature(craig davies thermatic switch) 2 relays (I used fused relays ) & you need the plug and a foot of the wiring to connect it all up to the fans-that way they can be removed if necessary with ease.
cheers Johnny.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]