Fordmods Logo

XG Van idle playing up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: XG Van idle playing up
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford XG

NSW, Australia

Hi, this is my first post here. I could probably find answers with a search, but I'm expecting to be back with more questions as I'm rebuilding a motor at the moment. Might as well say hello before i get to picking brains. :)

Anyway, I've got an XG van as a daily and ongoing project. Its been fun, really. Its definitely running a lot better than it used to, but still showing up some irritating fuel efficiency and idle dramas.

The idle, first of all tends to be quite low once it as it op. temperature, and all the while a little shaky.. even up higher. I've messed around with the idle mixture screw a few times but even adjusted up she tends to slowly die off to an indicated 100-250 rpm.

I had some cash when I got it so ive relaced a lot of sensors and other things already, leaving me to suspect maybe vacuum leaks are my best culprit.

I suppose I'm asking are there any classic spots and oasisto check first on these? The head is good and the Idle speed motor, MAP sensor, 02 sensor, fuel injectors, plugs, leads, dizzy cap and button, PCV valve have all been recently changed out. I should add it usually drives fine, smooth though maybe a little gutless. Its only the idle that plays up like this.

The TPS is still old though and the throttle cable sleeve is split up around the rocker cover, but this doesnt seem to upset the car much while driving.

Keen to hear some thoughts, Andrew.

Last edited by amxg on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: XG Van idle playing up
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford XG

NSW, Australia

Oh yeah, it has 350 000km on the clock so I think pretty much anything is possible by this stage. The previous owners didnt show her much love from what I've seen so far...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]