Fordmods Logo

xg xr6 new noisy lifters 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: xg xr6 new noisy lifters
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 xg falcon

VIC, Australia

hey all i recently bought an xg xr6 ute and the bloke told me he hadn't changed the oil since he had it, he didn't have it long but great.. -.-

anyway when first started it had a couple seconds of lifer knock then went quiet until it warmed up to temperature then it came back at idle.
i figured it would be an easy fix just replace the lifter so i did $120 later it worked no more lifter knock
well it worked for 2 days i installed them correctly soaked the new lifters in oil for 2 days made sure the shims were the in the right way and torqued the rocker assembly down to 25nm evenly. The first start up didn't get any knock at all

as i said for 2 days it was silent then 3rd morning noisier than ever before drove it up to temperature (i'd been told after installing them they could be noisy for up to 15mins) but it didn't go away, so i removed the rocker cover just to check make sure nothings broke or visibly wrong didn't see anything and checked bolt torque. Before i put the rocker cover back on i poured a little oil over the lifters theres a small hole on the top of the rocker directly above the lifters.
started it up and wallah! no noise until the next morning damn..
i tried running a oil additive nulon noisy lifter and hasn't worked with new oil

so at the moment its knocking at startup but if driven for 2 minutes they go quite
i need help here i dont know whats up?

Post subject: Re: xg xr6 new noisy lifters
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

I'm not sure if bleeding the lifters applies to new ones, but I wouldve anyway after being soaked in the oil,

And they can actually take up to a few days to go quiet.. Depends how clogged the oil galleries are as to how soon they prime up...

I'd be weary if it hasn't had regular oil changes..

You said yourself if you poor oil down the holes in the rocker arms they're quiet.. So it's obviously a oil supply issue,

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Take the oil cap off and have a look inside.....are the rockers all covered in crud ???....if so, then the oil galleries won't be any better.
Both cars in the pics had less than 80K on the clock, and weren't over 5 years old at the time.....lack of oil changes does this.

Attachments:
Mazda 323 sedan 7-02 very dirty engine 001.jpg
Mazda 323 sedan 7-02 very dirty engine 001.jpg [ 279.65 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]
Hyundia Getz 02 model, sludged up. 001.jpg
Hyundia Getz 02 model, sludged up. 001.jpg [ 402.55 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
I'm not sure if bleeding the lifters applies to new ones, but I wouldve anyway after being soaked in the oil,

And they can actually take up to a few days to go quiet.. Depends how clogged the oil galleries are as to how soon they prime up...

I'd be weary if it hasn't had regular oil changes..

You said yourself if you poor oil down the holes in the rocker arms they're quiet.. So it's obviously a oil supply issue,

Yeah I thought it would take a while but it's been 5 days thought they would've been alright now

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
Take the oil cap off and have a look inside.....are the rockers all covered in crud ???....if so, then the oil galleries won't be any better.
Both cars in the pics had less than 80K on the clock, and weren't over 5 years old at the time.....lack of oil changes does this.

Thanks but I had the rocker cover off when replacing the lifters there wasn't any build up of sludge looked pretty clean just tanned a light brown

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]