Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XH BBM Conversion
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Before anybody says a word I HAVE SEARCHED THE HELL OUT OF THIS and can't find any conclusive answers.
I have removed the engine from my XH which is 10/98 build. Turns out it is a hybrid engine which makes sense given the build date. Now It had a log manifold on it (which from what I can gather for a series II XH is unusual) but I have a BBM to go on it (not 100% sure where it came from-mate just dropped it off one day cos he didn't want it :?). In my searching and stuffing around I have noticed several things. The log manifold loom has a round plug-mine has a square plug. Does this mean I already have the correct wiring loom (albeit with a few mods for TPS etc). The ecu is an EEC IV which to my understanding will not run thermos yet mine has those (factory). It also has cruise and smartlock (factory).
Am I going to open a big can of worms by doing the conversion or is it going to be the easiest conversion in history? I know there's a couple of guys here that have stuffed with this conversion before but I never heard (or found) the results

Any help would be greatly appreciated 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Post subject: Re: XH BBM Conversion
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The Dog wrote:
Now It had a log manifold on it (which from what I can gather for a series II XH is unusual)
Nope, XHI & II non XR I6's are all log manifolds.
The Dog wrote:
The log manifold loom has a round plug-mine has a square plug. Does this mean I already have the correct wiring loom (albeit with a few mods for TPS etc).
XHI/EF are round plugs, XHII/EL are the square plug. Use the loom that matches the cars plug set. You won't need to lengthen wires, etc.
The Dog wrote:
The ecu is an EEC IV which to my understanding will not run thermos yet mine has those (factory). It also has cruise and smartlock (factory).
All XH's are EECV, although use an EL ECU to match the BBM tune (add the extra wire to run the BBM solenoid valve), replace the ED cam with an EF/EL one. Use an EF/EL rocker cover, use an EF/EL throttle cable, change the cruise cable to a BBM one.
The Dog wrote:
Am I going to open a big can of worms by doing the conversion or is it going to be the easiest conversion in history? I know there's a couple of guys here that have stuffed with this conversion before but I never heard (or found) the results
One of the best and relatively easy mods you can do to an XH.

post917404.html
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/xh-eec-iv-or-eec-v-t4352.html

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I knew you'd reply Snap. 8-) Was going to send you a pm about it but anyway.....

The ECU is definately an EEC IV.
Being a hybrid motor, wont it have an AU cam in it or is that just the rockers that are a different ratio (which doesn't make sense :? )
The cables are an easy change but I did also read somewhere that the pedal itself has to be changed due to different travel lengths????

Onto something a bit more trivial: do I have to use the later rocker cover as I reckon it's the ugliest rocker cover ford ever used :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The Dog wrote:
Was going to send you a pm about it but anyway
Better to post it so people can find the info.
The Dog wrote:
The ECU is definately an EEC IV.
EECIV aren't programmed to run thermos - it is a bit misleading, as some EECV ECU's have EECIV on the label, Eg. EL tickford LPG ECU.
The Dog wrote:
Being a hybrid motor, wont it have an AU cam in it or is that just the rockers that are a different ratio (which doesn't make sense :? )
Can't remember, check the cam part number cast in the billet - ED is 93DA - xxxxxxx, hybrid is 96DA - xxxxx. Have a search for hybrid, IIRC you can change the rockers over.
The Dog wrote:
The cables are an easy change but I did also read somewhere that the pedal itself has to be changed due to different travel lengths????
Correct, need an EF/EL or XH XR6 one.
The Dog wrote:
Onto something a bit more trivial: do I have to use the later rocker cover as I reckon it's the ugliest rocker cover ford ever used :lol:
It's mainly for the throttle cable/cruise cable mounting.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Casting in the head is definately 96DA xxxxxxxx but the castings in the cam are nothing like that.

Also, even tho it has the EEC IV sticker on it, the ECU has to be a V, is that right? But if this one is a V it still won't run the BBM correctly?
The reason for all the questions is that I am a hundred miles from anywhere that I can Acquire parts from so it will be a lot easier if I can do all the acquiring at once.

BTW Thanks for your help mate, you're a lifesaver 8-)

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Also I did check those links before when I did my search but they weren't overly helpfull given that I am dealing with a hybrid engine.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cam might have a WR2A number. Doesn't look like the hybrid and pre hybrid cams are interchangeable due to different journal size, rockers are different ratio as you know.
You might check with ford whether the EL hybrid cam is the same part no as the XH hybrid one. I wouldn't imagine ford doing a specific cam grind for the XH - the pre hybrids simply had a cam lifted from the ED.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Does the head have conical valve springs? That is a very clear confirmation that the head is a hybrid.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1997 EL Fairmont,2008 FG G6E

VIC, Australia

XH hybrid do have a different part number cam to a EL falcon hybrid. I Dont know what the difference is . But the XH hybrid cam is cheaper then a EL one. I think list price was around $ 170 + for the XH one. I will get part numbers on Monday from work if you want them. I will be getting a hybrid XR6 cam for my NC since it's only $145 dealer price.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, that would be good if you can post them, since the XH hybrids have never been covered on here.
If they're different part nos, they'll most likely be to suit the log manifold.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i have just fitted a xr motor to my xh and it has also a tickford gas to it,so all i did was advertise on here for a ex cab computer whitch i got for $30 from a member,i ran the new wire from the computer to the vacume switch for the manifold and it works a treat,i didnt worry about the knock sencor cause i dont get any pinging,i cant help with the hybrid points you braught up,but i can say that the performance now is great

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

el_747 wrote:
XH hybrid do have a different part number cam to a EL falcon hybrid. I Dont know what the difference is . But the XH hybrid cam is cheaper then a EL one. I think list price was around $ 170 + for the XH one. I will get part numbers on Monday from work if you want them. I will be getting a hybrid XR6 cam for my NC since it's only $145 dealer price.

If you can get me the part numbers that would be handy thanks mate 8-) .

It's definately a hybrid motor. Has the conical valve springs and the AU main caps etc

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

No worries mate i will get you the part numbers tomorrow. I just did the same to my NC Fairlane put a EL Hybrid engine in with the log manifold. I think it runs like s**t with log on it felt a slight miss but that might of been the cruise cable. Today i have just put a bbm manifold on and there is a huge difference in power. My only problem now is to make a cable up for my cruise control.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Here are the part numbers for the cams

XH Falcon

Part no EL 6250 B from 1/02/1998 List price $132.10 + Gst

XH Falcon XR6

ELHT 6250 A from 1/02/1998 List Price $176.50 + Gst

EL Falcon

Part No ER 6250 A from 1/02/1998 Obsolete from Ford

EL Falcon XR6

Part No ELHT 6250 A From 1/02/1998 List Price $176.50 + Gst

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Righto: Ditched the Hybrid engine and dropped in an EF motor. Canned the crappy coil packs and dropped in my dizzy etc. Bolted up the broadband Manifold and fired her up (using the original ECU). Ran reasonable except it held revs. So we thought we'd get the EEC V ECU and that would sort that, the low down miss and the fans running all the time. The only ECU I could find was an auto one. Now this is where things get interesting. At the same time I fitted the BBM solinoid and then went looking for where I needed to add extra wires and because it was an auto ECU, where to add the resistors. The wiring for the solinoid was already there which is pretty cool. Plugged that up and: you beauty the BBM butterfly works! so no wiring required there. But I am damned if I can work out where to add the resistors because I have a manual loom and the bloody thing is still missing down low, holding revs (unless I unplug the ISCV) and the fans run flatout all the time :evil: .
I'm starting to get a bit wild with this thing and the bloody hot weather we are having so any help with either would be appreciated. 8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next