XR6 flat spot in revs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6 flat spot in revs
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, new to the forum and this is my first post so go easy haha

I've got a BA XR6, previously owned by my parents so it's been babied its whole entire life and now that I've got it I wanted to ask a few questions relating to the problems I've noticed with it just to determine the possible causes.

The main issue with it at the moment is when I put my foot down (not too hard), I hit a flat spot around 2000-2300rpm where the car struggles and sort of chokes. It feels as though there is a huge loss of power and I know it's not going as hard as it should. I've had a few mates look at it and I've been told it might be the fuel filter which could be blocked up but that seems unlikely. Another has had a look and said that there might be a leak in the air flow, explaining that the engine has to squirt in more fuel to compensate which explains why it's been eating up so much fuel. He also said that could be the cause of the flat spot in the revs and why it feels a little more sluggish than usual. Another said the engine might not be firing properly which is why it drives fine when I'm just cruising but when I want it to go harder, it struggles. Either way, it's annoying me haha

I've also heard that BA's are notorious for diff clunk which I think also might be an issue as sometimes when I take off relatively quickly the car shudders and it feels as though it's coming from the back of the car. Also, when going through the gears, going from second to first there usually is a clunk and again, feels like the diff. That doesn't really bother me too much though as I plan on replacing the diff soon anyway and getting lsd with a 3.9:1 ratio.

I'll be taking it in to my mechanic within the next week to get it looked at properly but I thought I'd ask and see if there were any simple things I could do myself to try to fix the problems.

I've tried to explain this as best as I could but I really don't think it's that comprehensive so if you have any questions, ask away :)

Cheers

Post subject: Re: XR6 flat spot in revs
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford Falcon FG F6

WA, Australia

Hey dude it sounds like you have some coil packs going bad. Coil packs provide electricity for the spark plugs to fire. If one or more coil packs go bad your engine will pump fuel but it wont fire hence your flat spot and excessive fuel use. Mine was doing the same with me. But get it checked before replacing them. If one goes bad its best to replace all at the same time as they usually die right after another. If its not that then, not sure exactly as I dont know everything about cars haha. Good Luck

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ah, okay. That'll be worth mentioning too when I get this looked at properly.
Are they expensive to replace?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford Falcon FG F6

WA, Australia

Yes a bit pricey depending on where you live. I live in Perth and it cost me $750 but im sure most of that was for the crappy labour. Should by them yourself and have a small mechanic fit them not FORD or the RAC as they will rip you a new one as they did me, Ive learnt from my mistake lol. Their about $50 a piece you need 6 of them as you have 6 spark plugs. If it is the problem you dont have to replace all of them at the same time but they usually do go bad right after another.

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah that's pretty pricey. My parents are good mates with the mechanic we go to, he does an awesome job on everything and does stuff cheaper because we know him. I'll see what happens with it I guess
Once this is running properly it'll be lowered, have an xforce exhaust installed and then some pretty basic engine mods. Cannot wait to have this running hard again

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]