XR8/GT pod 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XR8/GT pod
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:50 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, ive currently added a tickford snorkle and dropped in a k&n filter in my Ba. I was just wondering if you would get a considerable gain from installing a pod from the v8. Does anyone know if its been done on the I6 and if it gives a better result than the tickford snorkel? How much would it cost to purchase the pod from ford? The main reason i want to change is for a much better sounding induction note, because people have said that pods sound better.
Cheers, any help or info would be appreciated.

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF waggin - gli/XR/ghia

NSW, Australia

Shouldn't you be more worried about what works better (ie gets more cold air in) than what sounds better???

That aside, I'm an avid believer in the K&N panel filter over a pod filter. If you did decide to go for the pod, you're better off putting it inside the airbox with the Tickford snorkel, rather than having it sitting there sucking in hot air.

But then again, if you don't care about the performance of your car, just rip the airbox out and don't worry about the hot air.

Red goes faster, and chicks drive better

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Oh, and by the way, there's no need to go to Ford to buy the pod. You can just pick one up from Repco or similar.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:55 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

I'm confused now. If the pod filter from the xr8 and/or GT doesn't work better than the snorkel, why would Fpv decide to use it in their vehicles. There definitely must be some sort of gain then. Also how will hot air be drawn in by the pod, its enclosed in a plastic casing?

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XRCIST wrote:
I'm confused now. If the pod filter from the xr8 and/or GT doesn't work better than the snorkel, why would Fpv decide to use it in their vehicles. There definitely must be some sort of gain then. Also how will hot air be drawn in by the pod, its enclosed in a plastic casing?

You only said 'pod' and 'better result than the snorkel', so I assumed that you meant that you wanted to stick a pod filter on the end of a pipe, and just have it sitting in the engine bay. That's what a lot of people do with EA-EDs for some strange reason!!!! :shock:

If you sat a pod filter inside the airbox with the Tickford snorkel, it might be ok. But as I said, I believe in the panel filters over the pods.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Pods definitely sound better, but obviously thei figured that there weren't that much gain for a stock I6 Falcon for the cost. What car is this? After a filter you should be looking at exhaust anyway.

BPT sell kits to convert to the BA Pod setup.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:09 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Thanks Chicken, i know i should have made it clearer in my post but thanks for the help. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUII XR8 Ute

NSW, Australia

It's alright mate, I know what you mean. Yes it can be done but it is an expensive exercise. I looked into it when I had my N/A BA XR6.
I was only going off what I had read when I was thinking about it, but most people said it was worth it.
I don't think you will get much of an improvement in sound because it's an enclosed setup.
From memory I think it was going to cost in the vicinity of $300 for the factory setup.

Good Luck.

Narooma Blue, Manual, 19" rims, Phenolic Spacer, T-Series Brakes, 3.9 Diff Gears, Custom Fabricated CAI, Pacemaker Headers.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Indeed, just isn't worth it for a stock 6. Look into other things first and maybe when your car 'needs' air should you look into it. Even with the POD setups, the Boss 8s still like more air via SS Inductions, filter, TB and TB spacer.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

I know what you mean one drone. I wanted to get the pod installed and then fit an ss inductions unit, but i should wait until i get an exhaust and a few other things first.

PS if i were to put in the 75mm tb from ss, would a helix throttle spacer then be able to be fitted to my engine, because i heard they were only made for 8's and 8s are 75mm.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:43 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

it can be done
aufalcon.com has article and waht is needed looks awesome

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
it can be done
aufalcon.com has article and waht is needed looks awesome

Sure does look good.
Actually id say that pod setup is the best i've ever seen and it looks like it would draw some proper COLD air for a change. Looks sweet il b e saving that pic.

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes, but that's an 8 as well and the air comes in the same way as it did before. in BAs it's actually able to come through the headlight/grille. To my knowledge you can't get helix spacers for the I6. http://www.ssinductions.com.au/html/ba-xr6.html will show you what SS Inductions can offer.

As said before, do the full exhaust first and have a chat to places like JMM and see what can be done. To me, money is better saved and spent on big mods than a whole heap of small mods that can only do so much. I don't see the point in doing this mod which may cost you say $400 when you can easily get a whole cat-back exhaust for that price which is more likely to increase performance and dramatically increase sound! :wink:

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah Pods are basically only good on Hard tuned I6's otherwise you are just making a lot of Sound and not much performance as I myself also went down the " Pod " road and came to the same conclusion. I even made the Pod fit in to the Airbox. But still had no power advantages. In the end I found the Panel was a heaps better performer :)

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:34 am 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the help everybody, i'll stick to my current setup now with tickford snorkel and K&N filter. Maybe later, after i have performed a few mods, there might be enough of an airflow restriction to justify installing the pod and other induction mods.
Cheers :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next