Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Yet another LPG question: gas only
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

Hi guys and girls,

I know everyone's probably sick of LPG questions by now but I thought I'd give one more a shot, any help much appreciated!

I wanted to get some info from anyone who has/knows someone who has converted a Falcon (AU) from petrol to straight gas. I would much prefer straight gas to dual fuel as I have a 12" sub in the boot (leaving little room for a gas tank!) and that way I can get my car tuned to run on 'gas only' for better performance etc. I was under the impression that it was possible to get the existing fuel tank removed and put the gas tank in its place (or anywhere other than the boot, really!)

A family friend of ours does LPG conversions and I've booked in with him for June next year (earliest slot available :shock: ). However he only does dual fuel and has never heard of the gas tank going in place of the petrol tank. Is this even possible? Should I look for another place or just suck it up and kiss my boot space goodbye?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

Easilly done but you need to make sure the boot is still sealed from the outside air so no exhaust can get into the car. On a sedan it is no problem but you will probably need to remove the spare tyre well and weld that up otherwise the gas tank may hang too low.. On a wagon you need a new false floor made (easy too) which is what I have, once again loosing the spare tyre.

Just need to make sure no exhaust can enter the boot. That is the adr requirement.

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

The AU dedicated lpg models have no spare wheel tunnel and run twin scoober tanks.
You could always run a donut tank and get one of those spare wheels with the low profile tyre on them (Also used on dedicated lpg cars).

To be honest, on a newer model EFI vehicle i'd go dual fuel as you can get them to run excellent on both, on a carby i'd go straight LPG as it's very hard to get them tuned perfect to both, more so in the timing!

My AU 5.0 will be on LPG by Wednesday and i'm curious to see the difference in performance between the 2 fuels.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]