Fordmods Logo

6.5" speakers into 6" EB door holes? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: 6.5" speakers into 6" EB door holes?
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB Fairmont

WA, Australia

Has anyone fitted 6.5" speakers into the front doors of EBs EDs?...
Ive got the speakers but i just wanna get a bit of a brief b4 i get stuck into it and find out they may not fit too easily...

Will they slot straight in or will i have to widen the hole?

Im using 100w rms Lanzar speakers and have got a 2 x 40w rms pioneer amp. Would this be underpowering them too much? could they get damaged?
Im thinkin it should be ok but not too sure...

any help would be great
cheers

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

size varies from speaker to speaker, some 6.5"s may only be as big as another companies 6"

40wrms should be fine

Banned

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

You won't damage the speakers unless you're noticably pushing them past their limits (you'll hear clicking and popping not to mention the normal kind of distortion coming from the speakers if the amp is being pushed way too hard)

Once an amp is forced to try and output more than it can, it acually burns the speakers out. You'd have to be pushing it pretty f**k hard to achieve this though - and the quality would be so poor your probably wouldn't listen to it anyway (unless you're p****d :wink: )

40 watts RMS is about double the output of most readily available headunits anyway, it's plentiful for 6.5" drivers.

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:20 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB Fairmont

WA, Australia

haggis wrote:
You won't damage the speakers unless you're noticably pushing them past their limits (you'll hear clicking and popping not to mention the normal kind of distortion coming from the speakers if the amp is being pushed way too hard)

Well...you can actually damage speakers from underpowering them and it is more common to do so than overpowering. just say you drive a 100wrms speaker from a 5 watt amp, there would definitly be a chance in damaging them or by powering a 250w rms sub by a 40 w rms amp will definitly kill the subs, not straight away though. I was just not sure how little power is unsafe

haggis wrote:
Once an amp is forced to try and output more than it can, it acually burns the speakers out. You'd have to be pushing it pretty f**k hard to achieve this though - and the quality would be so poor your probably wouldn't listen to it anyway (unless you're p****d :wink: )

40 watts RMS is about double the output of most readily available headunits anyway, it's plentiful for 6.5" drivers.

how do you force an amp to output more than it can?

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

JL audio have 6.5 inch splits that fit directly in to the E series falcons. the amp will be fine for what you are doing just have the gain set to match the output of the HU eg. if the head unit has 5volt line outputs have the gain on the amp set to the same or at about 1/4 clockwise, the lower the output voltage the higher the gain has to be set on the amp to match them.
Needturbo is right with what he is saying. its alot better to have an over powered amp running half than an under powered amp running max. when an amp clips or maxes out from to much gain the output signal square waves. this is basically sending spikes to the speakers which can over heat and burn out or fuse the speakers voice coils. when you hear distortion thats when its clipping.....

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED shagger wagon

QLD, Australia

the 6.5" pioneer speakers i got for my car had holes at 6" PCD and holes at 6.5" PCD so they fit right in no problems at all.

1994 ED wagon, 5-post bullbar, IPF 900XS spots, UHF

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

needturbo6 wrote:
Well...you can actually damage speakers from underpowering them and it is more common to do so than overpowering. just say you drive a 100wrms speaker from a 5 watt amp, there would definitly be a chance in damaging them or by powering a 250w rms sub by a 40 w rms amp will definitly kill the subs, not straight away though. I was just not sure how little power is unsafe

As long as you keep the amp in check you won't damage them. What kills high powered speakers when being fed from low power amp is "clipping". No amplifier can amplify beyond its supply rail voltage. What happens when it tries is that it'll hit the supply rail and the output waveform will flatten out until the input signal drops. These flattened sections are basically DC at whatever the amps supply rail is. Feeding this into speaker coils causes them to heat up and eventually melt. As long as you prevent the amp from clipping then it's perfectly alright to drive high powered speakers.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

Quote:
how do you force an amp to output more than it can?

I said try to, LSD mentioned what will happen when you're trying to force it too hard

I can see through wooden doors.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]