Fordmods Logo

6"s sounding to dull 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: 6"s sounding to dull
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, haven't been dedicated usere the past couple months, but I am starting to come back.

Anyway, my problem. i have 4" type S in the front of the EA and 6s in the back. and a sub in the boot. everything is running off amps. When i want quality sound i fade it to the front. The HU is faded to no 9 out of 15. So less volume goes through the rears and it is at an even volume. When i want it loud i fade it to 0 so that eveything is at the voume set by the gains on the amp. The gains on the amp are put down for the fronts cos they are 25wrms and the amp is 35wrms. the rears are 40wrms so the gain are at normal on the amp.

The problem is that when i fade it so the rears are louder than the fronts the sound becomes dull. i cant figure out what it is. At first i thought it was because i was in the front, but it sounds just as bad in the back.

Any ideas?

The only idea i had was that the sub could be making them sound dull, but the crossover does not let it go into the speakers range.

Cheers guys

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Wouldn't that be because the treble noises from the rear speakers arn't aimed at you in the front and have a long way to travel, hence when they use splitys and aim the tweeters?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nah, i just went out and listened and put my ear so the tweeter would fire into it and still no difference. Also the tweeters on Type S 6" can rotate so the pretty much fire at the roof above the head of the rear passengers.

Also i just did an experiment and to get the rear to sound like the fronts i had to put the equalizer from +1 at 10k 12.5k and 15k to +12 and then it sounded decent. But that will just damge something when i crank it up.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just a thought, can the tweeters blow, or break and not work properly. I think i might take em back to the shop and see what they say.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Can somebody just confirm this cos I think i figured it out. I think its because i have become used to the sound of 4" speakers that when i listen ot the 6"s teh y sound more bassy as they can produce the lows better than 4" speakers.

Does this sound sane to you because thats the only thing i can think of.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

are you running tops and mids only to the front and rear speakers? if so its not going to hurt setting the amp gains evenly, just dont run the amp beyond its capabilities (point of distortion)
you can simply set the fader on the HU at centre then adjust the rears to the correct level then bring the fronts up to level that you desire.
The x-over cut off points between front/rear and sub should be around 180Hz.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the most i can go to on the x over is 160htz so that will have to do. It is set at 160htz for rear and fronts.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]