Fordmods Logo

After Market Alarm on EL is going nuts!! PLEASE HELP! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: After Market Alarm on EL is going nuts!! PLEASE HELP!
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: FG X XR6 EcoLPI

QLD, Australia

I've just spent the last week rewiring my EL Fairmont. The factory central locking was driving me nuts - the front left door was always opposite to the rest of them.
I replaced that with an after market system which works great. I should have done it as soon as I bought the car.
But the main problem comes with the alarm I have installed as well.
I bought this 2 way car alarm:
http://www.crazysales.com.au/index.php?productID=1065
and have installed it and it all seems to be working pretty well.
My issues are:
    When I arm and lock the car with the alarm remote the courtesy lights do not turn off and therefore the alarm thinks that a door is still open and won't arm.

If I wait for the lights to fade after closing the door, I can then arm it and it all seems fine ... but ... and this is the weird bit ...

Exactly one hour after the alarm is armed it either sets itself off or the car/BEM is setting it off somehow. The alarm says that a door has been opened, but there are no interior lights on that I can see (and it's night time, so I could see if the boot or glovebox light is on). But again ... because the alarm thinks a door is open it won't arm again.

Another weird thing I just found out is that after it does this hourly thing, it won't unlock the doors with the remote. It chirps like it's unarming, but not unlocking the doors. I have to open the door with the key and reset the alarm by turning the key on and off in the ignition, and then it will arm and lock again ... but only for 1 hour!!

So I don't know what is going on and I'm just wondering if there is someone out there who knows something about hooking up after market alarms to these cars. Any help would be great!!

There's also an issue with the remote start, but I want to try something else with that first. That said, if anyone has done it before I'd love to talk to you about it.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Might be wise to scan and post up your wiring diagram.
I suspect the alarm doors open line detection isn't hooked up correctly. It should be earth seeking.

One hour probably coincides with the fact that the BEM turns off interior lights if a door is left open.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I know exactly what the problem is and have diagrams on how I solved it at home.. It was a pain in the a***. Then, a month after I fixed it, the IC on my alarm module blew up. I wasn't too happy when that happened.. When I get home I'll see if I can find it.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Is this because of where your getting your light signal from? - and the fact that on EF etc the lights are automatically turned off 1hr after the ignition is turned off so you dont flatten the battery....

.. Bunch on nice tricks really - as soon as the courtesy circuit is disconnected the signal will float to whatever is left connected...

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

That sounds exactly like the problem.
Because the interior lights aren't being turned off with the alarm, the BEM shuts the power to the lights off after an hour - and I have used the "negative trigger" for the alarm to know if the doors are open. When the BEM drops the power to the light circuit the alarm senses the drop and thinks the doors are open and staying open.

If one drone can shed some light on the wiring that would be great!

Cheers everyone. Keep the thoughts coming through.

Has anyone got their car hooked up with remote engine start?

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yes the suggestions are getting warmer.

You've hooked the doors open line to the wrong black/blue wire - I'd say you've hooked up to the line that goes from the light's -ve side back to the BEM, where you need to go directly to one of the door switch wires which go back to the other side of the BEM.

To test: wind the drivers window down, close the door. After lights have faded, lock and arm the car. Turn the dome light on using the headlamp switch.
I'm betting the alarm will go off - if this wire is hooked up correctly, it wouldn't.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I think I follow you.

I need to find the BK-DB wire that comes from the door switches right up near the BEM so that it picks up all the doors, rather than working off a wire that's getting sent to the lights (which obviously drops out after an hour).

Do you know if it's possible to patch in my central locking feed inbetween the Coded Ignition Lock Assembly (which I think is where the factory remote signal is sending the lock and unlock signal which also controls the courtesy lights - on for unlock and lights off for lock) so that when I lock and arm the car with the alarm remote it turns the lights off at the same time like the factory remote? At the moment I have the central locking hooked in to the BEM through the tech doc on this site (R-Y and Y-BK coming out of the BEM)

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Actually ... is there a wire that picks up the boot lid switch as well or is it on a separate send?

(BTW - Nice docs, snap!)

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XE-351 wrote:
Actually ... is there a wire that picks up the boot lid switch as well or is it on a separate send?(BTW - Nice docs, snap!)

Yeah thanks dude. Separate circuit - unless your alarm has a separate sensing line, you can run a line with a diode between the RR door switch and splice to the boot light/boot lock switch line. You want the dome light to come on with the bootlid open, and not the boot light to come on with a door opening.

XE-351 wrote:
I think I follow you.
I need to find the BK-DB wire that comes from the door switches right up near the BEM so that it picks up all the doors, rather than working off a wire that's getting sent to the lights (which obviously drops out after an hour).
See http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=49 , BEM middle connector (26 pin) pin A17
XE-351 wrote:
Do you know if it's possible to patch in my central locking feed inbetween the Coded Ignition Lock Assembly (which I think is where the factory remote signal is sending the lock and unlock signal which also controls the courtesy lights - on for unlock and lights off for lock) so that when I lock and arm the car with the alarm remote it turns the lights off at the same time like the factory remote? At the moment I have the central locking hooked in to the BEM through the tech doc on this site (R-Y and Y-BK coming out of the BEM)
Don't think so, I think it's part of the keyfob controller in the BEM.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

The alarm has 2 wires for door triggers. 1 is for cars that have a -ve trigger and 1 for cars that have +ve trigger.

I need to use the -ve trigger for the door switches, but I wonder if I can wire the +ve trigger out of the alarm to the light in the boot?

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Still no good guys.

I found the BK-DB wire coming from the door switches going into the BEM - but the problem is it's only 7volts instead of 12. My alarm is looking for 12 volts and now thinks the doors are open all the time.

Anyone have any clues where I can look now?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]