Alarm playing up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Alarm playing up
Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

gday all

just got back from a months vacation overseas so i sort of knew the battery was going to be dead in my 94 NC fairlane,so i borrowed a mates charger overnight.started it this morning,started lazy,and i let it idle for a few minutes before taking it for a spin,then all of a sudden the alarm started going off while the car was running ,thought nothing of it so restarted car and went driving only for it to happen again about 5 mins down the road.so i did the same thing as before but i also turned the alarm off in the bonnet so it wouldnt go off..problem solved.........NOT...it happened again...so i took it to my mech he ran a battery check and found the alt charging around 14 but the battery only holding 12amps so i went around the corner to get a new battery.....$126 later im driving out the driveway and it goes off again F@*&,they suggested a autolec but he was busy and couldnt help me till tommorrow mornin.

one thing i did notice though each time i started it was the smartlock light would stay alight a bit after i started,from what i can remember that shouldnt happen.

I have no idea as to what could be causing this as it didnt happen at all before i went away so any help will be greatly appreiciated

NC

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

a fuse somewhere?

is it just the siren going off, or do your lights flash too?

if it's just the siren, i think it has faulty wiring. its probably a battery backup siren and if they are disconnected from the battery (ie wires cut) they go off. so it could be the wire from the alarm to the siren.
alarms also have a couple of fuses you should check.

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

maximus wrote:
a fuse somewhere?

is it just the siren going off, or do your lights flash too?

if it's just the siren, i think it has faulty wiring. its probably a battery backup siren and if they are disconnected from the battery (ie wires cut) they go off. so it could be the wire from the alarm to the siren.
alarms also have a couple of fuses you should check.

siren and hazards go off and the smartlock light stays on a bit after start up. dont think it would be from cut wires as it didnt happen before going away.

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Sounds like the alarm thinks someone has removed the battery (from it going flat), or you have enabled the anti-hijack feature that some alarms have. Get your stopwatch out, and time how long it takes to go off after you get in and disarm it etc. If its pretty regular (after a minute, lights flash, then another minute and the siren sounds), then it could be that.

On my alarm, it is enabled by a remote combination, and can only be turned off by pressing another combination, and NOT by a normal unlock/lock cycle.

Time to look up your manual and check if its a feature! :)

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
Sounds like the alarm thinks someone has removed the battery (from it going flat), or you have enabled the anti-hijack feature that some alarms have. Get your stopwatch out, and time how long it takes to go off after you get in and disarm it etc. If its pretty regular (after a minute, lights flash, then another minute and the siren sounds), then it could be that.

On my alarm, it is enabled by a remote combination, and can only be turned off by pressing another combination, and NOT by a normal unlock/lock cycle.

Time to look up your manual and check if its a feature! :)

Well what i have noticed is that it goes off about every 5 minutes so that did get me thinking that it wasnt a short but could be what you mentioned,but i not sure if the smartlock had that feature(ford cost cutting) but someone may know

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hrrmm, My factory alarm did a strange thing too...
I recently installed it and was fine for about 3 weeks.
But however I was in a big rush one evening, and jumped in the car (cold).
got onto the open road... and when i wound her out too about 4k the alarm would chirp...
Woah? nah nah... wasn't fk'n me.. got to the lights.. did it again and bugger me... 4kish and its sookin.

Anyways I replaced the internal battery in the siren and have never had a problem since.. I figured the alarm triggered a voltage spike, and must have something to do with the charging circuit.

Just a thought

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII T5

VIC, Australia

stupid question, but have you tried resetting your alarm? or perhaps pulling the fuse on the alarm, and then starting it up again?

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Disturbed_Dave wrote:
stupid question, but have you tried resetting your alarm? or perhaps pulling the fuse on the alarm, and then starting it up again?

even sillier question,but how can you reset the factory alarm?

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:39 am 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

If the alarm is of any decent quality, it will remember its last state after a power loss, and return to it after power is returned - so the old battery disconnection method might not work.

EF II Sedan

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

went down to autolec this morning for them to fix the alarm problem but it turned out to be more trouble than needed so they disconnected the alarm and flashing blinkers.still got the immobiliser,i just wont know if my car is getting flogged though :)

When i get the dough up ill get myself a after market kit i think.

cheers for the help

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Just out of curiosity, how much did the sparky charge to snip a handfull of wires?

EF II Sedan

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

$40,which i guess wasnt to bad as he had to diagnose the problem first.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]