Page 5 of 6 [ 80 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Another BA Aftermarket Head Unit Thread - COMPLETE
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

shady1983 wrote:
Hey Super Nes, where did you get your fascia, the one with USB inputs?

Also, I've installed sub and amp with hi-lo converter, replaced front and rear speakers however sound quality isn't very good at all... speakers are soundstream 5x7s in front and 6x9's in rear, I know they are good speakers but they sound terribly flat... would this be the result of the stock ICC?

Would the sound improve with an amp to run the speakers only or would it just be better to install a new deck and run the fronts and rears from that? cost would be roughly the same as I'd be installing myself... I need better quality sound!!!!

They're not USB inputs, just USB shaped power points. i.e. so you can charge your phone/gps/ipod etc.

An amp will help. But soundstream haven't made anything any good in 10+ years (like most big brands, once they establish a good name, they then move manufacturing to china and that's the end of good stuff).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont BA

NSW, Australia

Thanks data_mine, but surely they'd sound alot better than the stock pioneer ones right? it just seems like they're not receiving the full range of sound if that's the best way to put it... they definitely go louder but the sound isn't crisp and clear like I've had in other setups, and i've used cheaper speakers for those set ups as well... wouldn't an aftermarket deck improve this as you can play with the EQ and not just the bass/treble settings on the stock unit?

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

shady1983 wrote:
Thanks data_mine, but surely they'd sound alot better than the stock pioneer ones right? it just seems like they're not receiving the full range of sound if that's the best way to put it... they definitely go louder but the sound isn't crisp and clear like I've had in other setups, and i've used cheaper speakers for those set ups as well... wouldn't an aftermarket deck improve this as you can play with the EQ and not just the bass/treble settings on the stock unit?

I may have been a little harsh, yes they'll be better than the stock stuff.

In my experience, upgrading the speakers on the ICC was a worthy upgrade. i.e. it's not the ICC at fault - it is indeed the crappy stock speakers.

The soundstreams probably expect to be amped to produce their best results (meaning they're not very sensitive, thus require more power to really get moving).

What model/specs are they (specifically the dB rating, may be: SPL/W or dB/W and is probably a number in the 80's or 90's)

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Here we go:

5x7s - Soundstream SPS-57 Power Handling- 180 watts Frequency response 55hz-20kHz Sensitivity 90db

6x9s - Soundstream SF693TPower handling 100wrms Frequency response 60hz-20khz Sensitivity 92db(1W/1M)

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

shady1983 wrote:
Here we go:

5x7s - Soundstream SPS-57 Power Handling- 180 watts Frequency response 55hz-20kHz Sensitivity 90db

6x9s - Soundstream SF693TPower handling 100wrms Frequency response 60hz-20khz Sensitivity 92db(1W/1M)

Considering the ICC is lucky to put out 20W, yeah get an amp for them.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

So will the amp help with the quality/clarity of the sound or just make it louder?

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:54 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

shady1983 wrote:
So will the amp help with the quality/clarity of the sound or just make it louder?

It should do both. if a speaker isn't getting enough power, it can't control the cone properly, which other than being quiet, will muffle the sound somewhat.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Excellent.. thanks for the help mate, much appreciated. I'll grab a 4 channel and hopefully she'll start sounding good. I'd rather avoid putting in an aftermarket deck if I can, just to keep the ICC stock

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2010 FG XR6 50th n/a

QLD, Australia

Hi,
First post to the forum, and hoping for some help on an aftermarket head unit install. I have to say, without all the posts on this forum, I would never had gotten as far as I have, so thanks!

Has anyone that has installed the Aerpro single DIN facia had any difficulty in getting the thing to fit back in? I have installed a JVC head unit in my son's BA, and it just won;t fit back in fully. If I force it on one side to get to the screw mount, the other side sits out about 10mm. It looks as if tehre is moulding on both sides where the head unit slots back into, and this seems to be stopping the unit from going all the way back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and then all thats left is the challenge of finding the right wires to cut to tie in the door speakers!

Cheers

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:27 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Morpher wrote:
Hi,
First post to the forum, and hoping for some help on an aftermarket head unit install. I have to say, without all the posts on this forum, I would never had gotten as far as I have, so thanks!

Has anyone that has installed the Aerpro single DIN facia had any difficulty in getting the thing to fit back in? I have installed a JVC head unit in my son's BA, and it just won;t fit back in fully. If I force it on one side to get to the screw mount, the other side sits out about 10mm. It looks as if tehre is moulding on both sides where the head unit slots back into, and this seems to be stopping the unit from going all the way back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and then all thats left is the challenge of finding the right wires to cut to tie in the door speakers!

Cheers

Not sure if it's you're problem or not, but I've found previously, my head unit the cables at the back didn't have enough space*. Required literally a knee leaning on it to get it in place to screw in.

*Mine being a DVD unit, with all the RCAs coming from the head unit, not the boot mounted hide-away-box - which would've been an infinitely better idea (wink wink Pioneer).

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA ford fairmont

NSW, Australia

I had a problems with out new 2nd hand Ford Fairmont CD player did not work and living in the outback you need a CD player

so I had several opptions lucky the car yard I got the car from went 50% on the option of replacing the Radio cd player

there is a aftermarket insert to put your new radio in and it also give you two USB ports

the unit was fited by radio tech here in Broken Hill all he used from the old radio was the antenna lead and he used factory speakers which he conected at the kick panel power came from the ford phone plug conection

I was told that it would be a wast of good money trying to replace the original cd player

I do like your option may be in time I will go down that track some time next year

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

My as well stick the Parrot Asteroid Smart in here...

Part way through obviously... All the details are in my build thread linked below... Still working out some headaches...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

that looks cool lots of work though

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah... Building it hasn't been so hard really... Just one task after another... The pre-work work was the hard part... Chasing wiring diagrams and working out what I could cut out and was required for the dual zone... Then trying to shrink it as much as possible to retain the bottom pocket... And I still couldn't fit it... Cutting and welding the stacker box to shrink it to clear both the double din unit and lift the BEM up high enough for the bottom screen was the worst part... The plastic welding and bog and sanding isn't so bad... Fairly clean and easy...

Worst part now is the bad viewing angle for the bottom screen...

Cheers for the comments...

Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

yes I find viewing there not good I did have the CB radio there and often unable to see what channel I was on

with the radio it does not matter as much

good luck with the project

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next