Fordmods Logo

Au Ute to Ipod Help/direction 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Au Ute to Ipod Help/direction
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Need some guru to point me in the right direction, Audio is not my thing.

Whats the best/easest way to hook up my ipod to the factory unit. This unit has not Aux-in, so have been told that the more knowledgable will know how to rig one up, or join it into the exisiting setup.

Dont like the itrip solution, want to some how wire it in directly. prefer not to have to buy amp or whatever... there must be a way to use existing unit!!

any ideas or directions, will be very greatfully accepted.

Car: is a Au Xr6 Ute.

thanks in advance for anyone that answers

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

not the answer, but might help you... http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/documents.php?doc=75

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

besides itrip
u need a new apline hu which with the right connector will alow the ipod to be hooked up to the HU and allows for full control of the ipod via the HU and also charges the ipod

BUT the cost may put u off as i think the cable is `$150ish and hu ~$450ish

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

u can get a cheaper kenwood one.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
besides itrip
u need a new apline hu which with the right connector will alow the ipod to be hooked up to the HU and allows for full control of the ipod via the HU and also charges the ipod

i just bought this headunit... The unit itself was $319 and the ipod cable $47...

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
besides itrip

he wants to use existing unit though...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

no chance with the existing unit unless he uses I trip

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

yeh
some form of FM modulator is the easiest way to go.

They can be had on ebay for around $20 inc postage

BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

cheers,

i allready have an itrip, but its s**t....

"the au has audio inputs so that the ipod can be installed.However it will need a switch.The ipod speaker wire can be directly wired in" NFI what he's tallking about.

cheers for the links MODS, made for a good read.. something must be able to be done with the AU unit...

Post subject: Re: Au Ute to Ipod Help/direction
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon

SA, Australia

z1gg33 wrote:
Need some guru to point me in the right direction, Audio is not my thing.

Whats the best/easest way to hook up my ipod to the factory unit. This unit has not Aux-in, so have been told that the more knowledgable will know how to rig one up, or join it into the exisiting setup.

Dont like the itrip solution, want to some how wire it in directly. prefer not to have to buy amp or whatever... there must be a way to use existing unit!!

any ideas or directions, will be very greatfully accepted.

Car: is a Au Xr6 Ute.

thanks in advance for anyone that answers

get an amp - doesnt have to be good, a $15 secondhand job will do just fine, and then get an Ipod base that supports avi out via rca plugs ($28 generic) and then hook your au head to the amp, amp to the speakers, ipod dock to the amp and away you go.
you will need a seperate volume controll potentimeter (variable resistor) between the ipod and the amp if you want to be able to controll your ipod volume without having to do it at the amp.
install your dock wherever you like and away you go. i just melted out the part of the center facia where the clock goes and put it there - see the pic. by using a dock your ipod charges as you go also.
hope this helps.

Attachments:
ipodcar.jpg
ipodcar.jpg [ 40.97 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

What the hell is that furry crap???? Looks like that big bloody beast from that Monsters Inc movie bought a grizzly end!!

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Cheers Robbo,

Seen yours in the otjher forum and was a bit of an insperation to me, for anyone robbo's setup is smick....

well I went and well tried some things.... yeah busted the face off the AU single cd, damm... still works, but am really hoping that once I get the dam thing out, i'll be able to wire it in to the onboard amp? (maybe I'm dreaming), read the above MOD links where the dude hooks it into the cd changer, and am thinking that maybe I could somehow do the same, so when I hit "CD" it goes to the IPOD... again probaby dreaming.... I wish I knew more about electronics... anyway worst comes to worst, I'll either buy another mp3 player or a 2nd hand au one... I DONT WANT TO SPEND MONEY! but as this is one of those learning experinces I guess its going to cost $$ (as i tend to break things! :) )

will take a pic and post the results... its starting to annoy me, as no one seems to have any answers, and try google for help, 0000's of pages of irrelevent cr4p... looked at ipod lounge weby, nada, went to apple webby nada..

any websites that you guys know off please let me know, I'll do whatever it takes now to beat this! ehhehehe

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Futura, GSXR600, ZZR250

NSW, Australia

I got an iTrip for xmas, I'm just in the process of setting it all up the way i want it. So it charges while in use, I bought a cigarette lighter iPod charger that has the USB mini plug on it.

So far I have wired in a second cigarette lighter plug behind the dash fascia to make it a lot neater, now I just have to fabricate a mounting panel to attach it to. The EL Falcon interior has too many curves to it, a mate with an Accent was able to just tape his to the dash using double sided tape.

It hopefully shouldn't look too bad in the end, I plan to prime and spray the mounting panel to match the nearby plastic trim.

My only concern is that regardless of whether the iTrip is actually plugged into the cable, a bright green LED illuminates on the cigarette lighter plug. My guess is that it's just a simple resistor-based voltage divider circuit to step the voltage from 12V to the 5V USB voltage. Rather than pulling the thing apart I guess I'll just throw an ammeter in series and measure the current drain, if negligible I'll ignore it. Otherwise I might wire in a switch.

Another idea I had is that I could use the BEM module pins and have 4 different modes. One where it does not charge regardless of the ignition state, on, acc, and off (for charging overnight away from home). Or just a smaller number of those states.

Team povo uni student

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon UTE

NSW, Australia

ive done it and mine works fine.

i got an rca splitter 2into 1. i ran the rca out of the head deck into the input of the splitter. and bought got a 3.5mm to rca. plug 3.5mm into ipod and the rca into the other input of the splitter. the run rca from output of splitter into the input of amp...

the sound quality is very good and with the press of a button you can yous the head deck or ipod

AUII Falcoon Ute
5spd, Lowered, 2 1/2in Exaust, Genie Headers, XR6 Turbo Intake Snorkel, Au Series 2 17in Tickford Rims

www.myspace.com/wazza13

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

ALpine are not the only mob that do the hU with adapters that charge, so do sony, pioneer and kenwood, and many others, For my money Id go pioneer, went this way in the missus car and its great, allows you to use the std HU button to control ipod, skip songs, or change play lists. everything.

nascentes morimur

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]