Fordmods Logo

Ba AMP and Sub 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Ba AMP and Sub
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Well, I went ahead with the Quart splits (man, I'd forgotten how bright the quart tweeters can be at high volume) in the factory positions and an Alpine S series 12" sub, all running off the MRV-F345. And yes I used the line converter for RCA input.

The signal quality from the line converter is Ok. I can't notice any problems and there are no other noises in the signal so I am happy enough with that!

The problem tho is (and I knew this would happen) I want MORE!

I really need to get some fill for the rear, as the factory speakers running off the factory system might as well not be there! Suggestions please!(whatever I get will be running off channels 3 and 4 of the 345) and I would like them to fit the factory spots too.

Now for the big question........ What is going to do a good job of running 2 of the S series 12's? I've had an Alpine MRD-M605 (600w rms) quoted at $530.00. Is there anything else around that price which is going to be a better option? or what direction would you be going in?

All help welcome.........

Thanks!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

Sorry, This is kind of off topic.

But I have been planning to do this exact install for over 6 months now, but I keep spending the money on performance mods instead >.<

Can I just ask you how it sounds? Does it go considerably louder and sound any good?

The only audio mods I have at the moment are Type S 5x7's in the rear :s

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, it goes a fair bit louder than the factory system, but with only 1x12 running off the 345, the sub is a bit soft IMO and with the rears only being factory and having NO power, as I said, they might as well not be there!

I think if you are going to do it, you will wind up with 2 subs and a mono to drive them, with the front splits and rear speakers running off 4 channel.

If you like your music loud tho, you will eventually want to upgrade from what you have!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for that mate, I assume you went to alberts in Joondalup :) I got recommended that exact setup hehe, have you tried increasing the gain on the amp channels?

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No, it really doesn't need it. I think the sub is working as well as it is going to with the present set up!

C'mon................anyone with some feedback on the proposed Amp, or ideas for the rear shelf?

Any help appreciated!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8

Power: 238 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey mate! Do you have the model number of MB Quart you used for the front. im looking at changing mine as well! Im running a 600w Mono block JBL amp and MTX sub, seems good enough, Maybe another set of nice splits up the back to accommodate the Sub...

03 XR8 ute.... 251.5rwkw and counting

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well, the gear is in............ or at least will be this arv.... can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

I wound up going for the MRD-M1005 monoblock instead of the 605 incase I want to run more powerful sub'sin the future (ie Type R's). All the installers and sales guys I spoke to reckon the 605 is OK for two light subs like the S type 12's but anything heavier and it wouldn't run them effectively.

Gotta plan ahead now!

MR XR wrote:
Hey mate! Do you have the model number of MB Quart you used for the front.

And the splits are the DSF 216 6.5" components.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

For anyone thinking about upgrading the stezza in thier BA. DO IT!

For just over $2000 I have a system that absolutely cranks, and for those ?'ing the use of line converters for RCA pickup, they are very good! $80 for two line level converters versus the $400 for a 3sixty or $1200 for the Vehicle Hub Pro.

I used to have a system with a good alpine head unit, 2 JBL 12's running off a Punch 200 DSM and a Rockford Fosgate 160x4 pushing quart splits front and rear. All that gear was worth about 4.5-5k and this sounds better for less than half the price.

I'm currently using a prefab alpine enclosure in the BA with the slit port at the bottom. It sounds great, but is not a great fit for the boot. (I only have half a boot at the moment, so in the short term I am going to make up an enclosure to better fit the boot!)

Oh yeah, I also need a 1 Farad cap if anyone has one they want to sell. Otherwise I'll be looking on Ebay!

Other than that, I am rapt and would suggest it to anyone!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for the post mate, even though people haven't answered your question, you have given me some confidence in upgrading my stereo :)

I have a wiring kit to the boot at the moment, with that the extent of it.

I can assure you though, there is no real need for a cap, while it can be mildly benificial, your better off just upgrading the car's chassis earth. Talk to your car audio shop about this, and they can do it for you if your not happy doing it yourself, and they should also confirm it's a better option then a cap.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks mate.

I have to say I have been overwhelmed with the level of help and info flooding this post.

What happened to the usual level of assistance that is metered out on this forum?

Anyway, if you are thinking about it, make it happen. You will only be happy that you did!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]