Fordmods Logo

BA Sound System 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Sound System
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hey guys. Im in the process of getting my crappy stock sound system in my '05 Falcon upgraded. I just got a full system quote from Strathfield in Cannington which seemed pretty reasonable... Heres a quick overview of what I plan to put where, with the prices.

Deck: No Deck. Want to keep the standard in dash rather than squeezing one into the tissuebox holder.
$0

Front Speakers
MTX Audio 180W 6" Splits Inc. X-Over - $249.83

Rear Speakers
MTX Audio 260W 6" 3-Way - $79.95

Sub
2x Pioneer 12" 1000W Woofer - $197.87
2x Pionner 12" Woofer Grill - $29.98

Amp 1
MTX Audio 4-Channel 800W - $398.73

Amp 2
MTX Audio Mono D Class 800W - $398.73

Wiring
4 Gauge Sony Amp Kit - $74.95
8 Gauge Sony Amp Kit - $44.97
Dist Block 4G x1 & 8G x1 - $14.99

Total Package: $1490

According to the guy at Strathfield, the ideal thing with the MTX Amps, is that they dont require line converters (or something like that). According to him, they are one of the best AMP's you can buy (in a budget), and since I know little about Amps, im pretty sure he knows more, hah!

I did the stereo in my old car myself but it wasnt this complicated. Just a single sub, and amp, some 6x9's, and some 4's for the front i think. For some reason though, I have a feeling this one will be a bit more complicated from what Ive read and heard about BA sound systems.

I plan to do similar to my boot, as has Jo has done (http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43323) with his boot.

Only difference being, since I have 2 subs, I will mirror the right hand side onto the left, permitted there is room for the Amps. Oh, and minus the LPG also, hehe.

The 4CH Amp will be connected to the subs, with the Mono D Class onto the rear speakers.

Thoughts anyone? Just looking for some feedback on the quote, the items im looking at.... Maybe some advice if you all have some would be nice. :)

Cheers guys! Matt.

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

Im under the impression Strathfild get kick backs from MTX, thats what they always reccomend, not that its bad. Ive got the Splits up front in the ute and 3 way 6x9s in the rear panels. But went with Pioneer Amp and Stinger cables. If i'd gone anything else in the ute it would have been all pioneer or Focal Speakers and the rest what i got.

Subs and new amp next.
ive also got small PC fan system under seat to cool amp.

nascentes morimur

Post subject: Re: BA Sound System
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Mr_Maverick wrote:
The 4CH Amp will be connected to the subs, with the Mono D Class onto the rear speakers.

??

Just wondering why you are running the subs off the 4ch rather than having the mono running them.

You would be much better off running the front splits and rear 3 ways off the 4ch and the subs off the mono!

Also, have you considered a 6.5" split for the front and a 3 way 5x7 for the rear shelf, as they will fit in the factory apperture?

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

Noooooooooooo!!!

Please go to alberts and get real advice ://

I beg you!

Especially if you went to the strathfield in Joondalup, Alberts is literally 30M away.

Mtx and pioneer... :roll: :lol:

Edit: Ie. look in philaddis's sig. That's real equipment.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Theres always goin to be better out there, But theres always a budget too. I went MTX cause i got it all cheap, But like I said, If i upgrade it will be focal

nascentes morimur

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Definately use the 4ch to run front and rear speakers and the mono to run the subs, i cant see any reason why you would want to do the opposite.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Second that, But I know one person not on this forum with a setup similar who wont let me fiddle with the wires and set her speaker off the 4ch and put in mono.

Bugger.

nascentes morimur

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hah.. my bad. I did mean to write the opposite about the amps. The Mono will be wired to the subs, with the speakers running from the 4-channel.

Alberts you say? I will give it a shot, see what they can do. My previous system was full pioneer (except the amp which I cant remember). I know that I can make a much better system, but hell... I could spend 5 or 10 g's :twisted: and it still wont be the best! Unfortunately. :cry:

I dont know much about MTX at all... Im more of a fan of Pioneer, and Alpine. In saying that, If, by using MTX Amps I can save, money, time, and unnecessary headaches with line converters, engine interferance etc, then I dont see why I shouldnt do it. :?

From what you guys know, would this just not work, or could I get better quality at the same price doing something different?

Darkr
Quote:
Mtx and pioneer... :roll: :lol:

Don't go well together, what else might you suggest?

philaddis
Quote:
Also, have you considered a 6.5" split for the front and a 3 way 5x7 for the rear shelf, as they will fit in the factory apperture?

Nah, I had a quick eyeball and wasnt sure if they would quite fit.. but I will trust you.. I will look into it. cheers!

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Heres a quick pic of my mates NL Fairlane that was done by Alberts Car stereo here in Perth.
Rest of stereo consists of Pioneer DVD single din head unit, MB Quarts 6 1/2" splits in front, and MB Quarts 6 1/2" 2 ways in the rear. Very loud and clear as. Getting capacitors fitted next week.
Anyway the pics just to show your some of Alberts workmanship.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Last edited by XH5LWEPN on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gregg_13 wrote:
Second that, But I know one person not on this forum with a setup similar who wont let me fiddle with the wires and set her speaker off the 4ch and put in mono.

Bugger.

Haha go and buy a mono, and do it without her knowing. Just get her to take the ute to work :lol: and do it then. :wink: :wink:

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

That looks pretty nice!

I was going to do the whole thing myself... but im edging away from that now and I think i will get them to do it. Will they do the custom sub box for me, or will I need to do that one myself? I probably should, because that way I know its done properly..

Noone has really told me yet, whether or not i will be getting riped off, or if Ive got a good setup and a decent price..

Cheers..

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:47 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

OK... Instead of the Pioneer 12" 1000W Subs.... I can get MTX 12" 800W Subs?

That way, the whole system would be MTX. The MTX ones have a tad less output, but I think the 800W MTX amp might be more suited to the MTX subs. Thoughts?

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

Glad the boot has inspired you...!

I don't profess to be an expert on audio equipment but can only speak based on my experience with my own install. My thoughts:

- I have the Alpine Type R 5x7 splits in the front and would highly recommend them. Not too much more expensive than the ones you are looking at and as far as I know AU and BA both use the 5x7 stock speakers. With a little bit of 'massaging' (they're a bit deep) they will fit just fine in the front and the back too. If the BA has holes for 5x7 won't it be more work to put in 6"s?

- Just with the boot have you taken out the boot trim yet and had a look at how much depth you have to work with on the passenger side? I originally thought of having two subs in the boot but on the passenger side of the boot in the AU there are some bits and pieces in the way and so it wouldn't have been deep enough (of course you could always bring the panel out further but that chews into your boot space a little more).

- With the install, give it a go yourself! The cheapest quote I had was $1100. All up doing it myself it only cost me around $300. Most of that went into having the panels professionally done by an auto upholsterer. The only advice I've had (again and again) is to fibreglass the sub enclosure properly (I'll get round to it one day :lol: but for now I reckon it sounds fine!) I didn't want a comp-winning stereo either but it was much nicer to put that extra $800 or so into better equipment.

- I haven't had any experience with MTX at all so I can't compare, but I do have a pioneer 12" 1000W sub (TSW-306C) and would recommend it.

...and I'm a 'she', not a 'he' :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]