Fordmods Logo

bang for buck audio install ($2000 budget) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: bang for buck audio install ($2000 budget)
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:55 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairmont 6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I've got around $2000-2500 To spend and I'm looking for the best bang for my buck car audio system

I want front/rear amped speakers
DVD head unit
Wiring (if my 4gauge aerpro kit is insuffociant
4chan for speakers
800rms minimum of sub power. Single 15 two 12s. Whatever works
Have an alpine mrp1000 to work with at home also
1000rms@2ohm

Any suggestions for anything I'm after will be welcomed

Current Ride: AU2 Fairmont

The looks: Ghia Interior, MTX Sound System

The Goods: Lukey 2.5 Zorst, 3.45 LSD

Post subject: Re: bang for buck audio install ($2000 budget)
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What kind of music to do you listen to. Quality or just want to roam the streets as a mobile boom box? I assume open canvas in the boot (ie gas tank, need space for other stuff)

$2000 is decent money, but it depends on what you want out of your system.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Go to Jaycar and get Response amps and speakers. The response component 6.5" speakers are around $100 a pair and award winning. Apart from that try JBL products.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
What kind of music to do you listen to. Quality or just want to roam the streets as a mobile boom box? I assume open canvas in the boot (ie gas tank, need space for other stuff)

$2000 is decent money, but it depends on what you want out of your system.

Yeah phong its allot of dosh, but you could spend that on a player by itself too hey if you wanted.

One thing too Obese, I don't know your expertise ( so excuse me if I am talking out my a**) but don't fall for the PMPO spec's some companies put on there products. Look for the " constant" or "RMS" outputs. For example, most players have 50 odd watt X 4 written on the box or on the players face, the player will not produce 50w rms but will produce around 20 to 25. If I have told you what you already know I'm sorry

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairmont 6

VIC, Australia

I have the full boot to work with, i have no need for anything in my boot.

Secondly, i listen to alot of doof doof when im driving such as jeezy, t.i, lil john, More bass the better, I'd like my music heard from as far away as possible, with that being said, i don't want it to sound like a distorted piece of s**t either.

Im aware of the power ratings of speakers/subs/amps/headunits but i do apreciate you letting me know just incase i didnt, however i have no idea what the 1/2/4 OHMS is lol.

Current Ride: AU2 Fairmont

The looks: Ghia Interior, MTX Sound System

The Goods: Lukey 2.5 Zorst, 3.45 LSD

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1987 telstar/2004 BA XR6 5spd

NSW, Australia

coming from experience the fusion power plant 15" sub in a 66L ported box wired into 4ohm on your monoblock amp would sound very nice. iv got my fusion 15" wired into 1ohm @1000wrms and it vibrates everything in the car and it sounds nice and clean but wired into4 ohm will sound even better

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

impedance. I could give you a 300 page tutorial on it but it would be useless info to you.
Generally with car stuff just make sure you keep it at or above 2ohm per channel to be safe and before connecting multiple speakers to a single channel, ask someone who knows about impedance and connecting speakers if it will be ok. There are formula's that apply and you can easily blow an amp if you dont know what your doing........ its not as simple as plug and play when running multiple speakers through one channel, but if your connecting one speaker to one channel just make sure to match the ohm of the speaker to the ohm rate on your amp.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Buy a kicker L7 in a tuned ported box and run it off you're mono. Then you won't need speakers cos you won't be able to hear it anyway

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
Go to Jaycar and get Response amps and speakers. The response component 6.5" speakers are around $100 a pair and award winning. Apart from that try JBL products.

Has anyone on here run the 6.5" for their front door speakers? Pretty sure they should clear the glass but was curious if others had tried it.
Wondering if you like the audio quality too ?

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If they are going into an El then no. They are a deep mount cone and large magnet.
If you want to know the quality do a search on the net. The Response Kevlar 6.5" speakers have won multiple international awards and are the black sheep of car speakers because they piss all over other brand named speakers that are selling for double the price

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
If they are going into an El then no. They are a deep mount cone and large magnet.
If you want to know the quality do a search on the net. The Response Kevlar 6.5" speakers have won multiple international awards and are the black sheep of car speakers because they piss all over other brand named speakers that are selling for double the price

Ok sweet, thanks mate :)

Shame they won't fit in the front but I think I might replace the 6x9's in the back which are being run off a 4 channel amp.

I had a look on google before and most other forums gave them a good review, some even did group buys.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon, 5 Speed

SA, Australia

Give www.soundmaster.com.au a try. It's where I went for all my audio gear and they're pretty good. They always have specials on different items and have a huge range of products to pick from.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

B Bear wrote:
79raven wrote:

Ok sweet, thanks mate :)

Shame they won't fit in the front but I think I might replace the 6x9's in the back which are being run off a 4 channel amp.

I had a look on google before and most other forums gave them a good review, some even did group buys.

I got a pair of the Response 6.5" about 4 years ago for my birthday. I had no idea about them at the time and just liked the weight of the magnets. I had them in a Tj Magna's front doors and the speakers actually separated the side intrusion bars from the outer door, thats how much bass they push so even if you could put them in an EL doors I would recommend not doing it. I ended up selling the speakers about a year and a half ago due to no use for them, to only need them back a few months later. I didnt get another pair but got a pair of JBL GT's instead and it was the biggest mistake. The Response speakers really are that good and for under $100 for a pair you cant go wrong.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Since we're on the topic of responce audio, are their amplifiers any good? I'v read reviews saying that they are excellent quality, but won't last very long.
Is this the case?

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have heard mix reviews as of late about Response from JayCar. They used to be good for their price, but they seem to have more issues now than when they first introduced them. In saying that most brands produce a crap batch which causes issues.

If you are on a tight budget (less than $1000), you can get away with Response gear, however remember they are built using cheaper materials compared to other brands, hence the cheaper price. So they can be good over a short period of time and then suffer poor performance...obviously this gets worse the harder you push it, so if you don't play your music stupid loud all the time they might just hang on long enough to warrant purchase.

Personally I'd go for something better, but if money talks, then Response can get you by.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next