Fordmods Logo

bf falcon audio upgrade 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: bf falcon audio upgrade
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6t ute

QLD, Australia

can any one give me some advice on upgrading the audio system in a bf ute.. i have been to 3 different car audio shops and got 3 different versions of what they beleive is required... im not after a boom box on wheels i just want to run an amp frt splits with a small (10-12 inch) sub and if required change the rear speakers as well... any help would be appreciated

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

dont go sony xplode, rampage, jaycar or any other cheap Jb-Hifi / Super Cheap Auto stuff unless your on a budget.

now considering ive worked with/on Soundstream for sometime now and my whole setup is soundstream based im going to recommend the following products, you can go with most other high quality "affordable" brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Kicker etc it really doesnt matter considering your not an Audiophile out there for the best sound on the block and just want something with a little kick. The following products ARE soundstream but basically for someone in your position it is going to cost around the same no matter what brand you go. Its the specs that matter.

But this is how i would go if I just wanted an average system that would still have some kick.

Deck:
I wouldnt go a soundstream deck, Alpine or Pioneer seem to be the way to fly when it comes to decks.

Speakers:
http://soundstream.com/speakers-xstream.htm
High Quality 6x9 3-way speakers (You will need seperate amp to power these)
Or you can combine any Soundstream speaker under 6x9 with a range of different tweeters, i recommend:
http://soundstream.com/tweeters-tws4.htm

The best way to go is the Packaged Components which is a 6" Speaker with a Low/Midrange and a Split Tweeter
http://soundstream.com/components-xstream.htm

Amp:
http://soundstream.com/amplifiers-picasso.htm
Picasso 2-Channel 360w Amplifier
RMS @ 4 Ohms Mono: 360w
Will be enough to power a decent sub for your needs.

Sub:
http://soundstream.com/subwoofers-picasso.htm

The Picasso Subwoofer is ideal for you, someone who just wants to hear those bass notes without feeling it. Rated in at 300w RMS for the 10" and 350w RMS for the 12"

You should be able to get all that for around $1500 installed I would say. It has been a while since i bought my system and prices have changed a little.

Remember this is just how I would go if i was in your situation, this is just my advice, by no way am i advocating that Soundstream is the way to go, but as i said for someone in your position your not going to notice much, if any, of a sound difference or price difference in any other brands. It is the way the system is installed and tuned that makes the difference.

Last edited by Razor7107 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

6"x9"s are BAD mkay

You will find the car audiophiles on here will tell you not to use 6x9s at all.

Plus utes after AU will not fit 6x9s in them ... in the rear corners that braket only fits 5x7s ... there's not realy other mounting points in the rear corners to mount anything else unless you build it out.

You can fit two 12" subs behind the seats with relative ease.

There's a few ways of going with the headunit ... get an aftermarket one hooked up ... or use the factory ICC and use line level converters to run amps of it ... and retain full use of your factory stereo.

Have seen a few threads where the factory ICC headunit is still retained but the rest of the system is upgraded accordingly.

But better results are had with an aftermarket headunit mounted in the tissue box holder (rerouting cabling from the back of the ICC to the new headunit).

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

wasnt saying 6x9's, they were an option, or combine anything under like a 6" single cone for example with a tweeter. it depends on the hole, what else would u fit a 6x9 hole with? a spacer and a 6" i spose if u werent just looking for an average system. which he is from what i understand.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

go sound stream i got sound stream splits in front and back ss amp and ss sub and highly reconmend them their unreal.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

what SS stuff you got?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

sound stream X stream 5 Ch AMp
sound stream edge 5" splits
sound stream Exact 12" sub

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Soundstream Edge D-Class Monoblock 900w Amp
Soundstream T4 12" Tarantula 900w Nominal 2300w Peak RMS Sub
Soundstream Woofer Box and Grill
Soundstream Sticker (WOOT!)

was going to get SS speakers aswell but already had 4x 6" 3-ways... but ive heard SS splits and SS 3-ways and they sound f**k seks

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

ummm...jaycar stuff is supposed to be up there...!
there splits are one of the best splits compared to some of the stuff that pioneer and other company's upto the value of arround $300!

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Falcon

WA, Australia

i personally have all SS gear but i wouldn't be going them if your just after a nice little system, i'd be looknig more into a company with local warranty support and as far as i know SS is only melbourne (where i had to send my amp to get fixed).

can't fit 6x9's anywhere as all the holes are 5x7's and also your using a sub, so you'll need to HP them at say 80Hz so you may aswell go some 6"s.

give us a budget to work with and we can help you out abit more but personally unless your spending over $2500 you may aswell just use some line out convertors and keep the stock cd player in the ICC.

i'd be going 6.5" splits up front, to keep price down keep rear speakers stock or you can get some 4"/5.25" speakers and make some spacers for them.

it sounds like you'd be quite happy with a 4-channel amp, run channel 1 + 2 for your front splits and then bridge channel 3 + 4 for your sub. i'd go a nice 10" sub as you aren't after MASSIVE bass, and this will result in better quality bass for the $$$.

without knowing how much you want to spend id say check out alpine, jaycar or audison amps as they are very reasonably priced, splits id say check out focal, DD, hertz, SS and whatever else you can find at your local stores. sub i'd suggest boston, DD, SS, image dynamics.

reason i wouldn't suggest too much SS gear is it i finid it quite pricey as it is imported from NZ so for same quality gear normally a tad cheaper from other brands but in saying that my car is decked out all tarantula gear,
Deck - Pioneer DEH-8650MP
Front Splits - SS TRC6.5 (run active)
Rear coaxials - SS SST5.7
Sub - SS T4-12
front splits + sub amp - SS TR800/5
rear speaker amp - SS XTA240.2
Cabling - Soundstream, aerpro, stinger and lightning audio
sound deadening - Dynamat and motospray.

you looking at about $5k worth of gear there so it is quite pricey gear.

Rhyso

BA XT, typhoon intake, K&N filter, XR 17" wheels, red/black brakes, Ford scuff plates

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

it is indeed pricey, have u ever had to take your T4 back? i blew 2 T4 subs up within 6 months and then they came out with the most recent version, just had reinforced glues and mouldings and upgraded dual voice coils to 1-ohm instead of 2-ohm, boosting the max power from 1800w to 2300w. Havent had a problem with this one, if you still got the old version, blow it up, take it back, and they will give you the new version ;)

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

mine is the new version :D only got 400WRMS running into it at 2Ohms. front splits are set up active getting 50WRMS each speaker (so 200W all up) rears are run at 60WRMS each but with gain on 0 as it is just for passengers. all great gear but damn the sub needs a big box.

Rhyso

BA XT, typhoon intake, K&N filter, XR 17" wheels, red/black brakes, Ford scuff plates

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
ummm...jaycar stuff is supposed to be up there...!
there splits are one of the best splits compared to some of the stuff that pioneer and other company's upto the value of arround $300!

yeh they are sorta up there but not really the amount of stuff ive heard bout them with faults and returns plus they just dont back the quality and features you find with the mainstream brand gear hence why there so much cheaper than them.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

hold on your T4 Tarantula 12" is 400wRMS @ 2-Ohms? WTF? doesnt sound right to me, mine is 900w Nominal and 2300w Peak RMS and mine is also a T4 Tarantula 12"

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

it is 900W nominal, 2300peak but my amp is only putting out 400W at 2-Ohms to it.

Rhyso

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next