Fordmods Logo

BF falcon - help needed removing driver's side kick panel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: BF falcon - help needed removing driver's side kick panel
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

This might be a stupid question with a really easy answer but I thought it best to ask for advice before I break something that will cost me more to fix than the job's worth.

I want to access the wiring loom behind the driver's side kick panel on a BF falcon. I have had a look at how the kick panel removes and got as far as taking out the press plug at the front and finding the locating bolt at the back (back means near the pedals and front near the dash). I can't seem to be able to encourage the panel to move any further out than an inch or so as there is a tab on the top which sits up against the bonnet catch handle. It looks like the bonnet catch handle needs to be moved to allow the kick panel to lean across past it.

Does anybody have the answer on how to get this panel out without breaking anything?

Post subject: Re: BF falcon - help needed removing driver's side kick panel
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Yeah you can remove the bonnet latch by pushing down and forward, but that wont open the kick panel mutch furthur. That little tab stops it from moving too much. The little tab on mine snapped while i was installing my stereo but the press plug near the rubber seal is enough to hold mine in place, so you would never know.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The kick panel runs all the way along the side under the B pillar.

To take it fully out, you need to remove the sill scuff plates, front and back seat rail covers, lower bolt for seat belt and the rear seat inside sill cover. Then it can be unclipped towards the inside of the car and removed.

Yes, its a mega pain in the a** just to get behind the kick panel.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I followed your advice and managed to get the kick panel back enough to give me access to the wiring I was looking for. I was able to encourage the panel over without taking the seat belt bolt out which was convenient as I don't have a star tool set.

I was trying to access the factory speaker wiring as I was adding a set of tune up tweeters in the 'A' pillar. I'd already replaced the factory door speakers with a pair of 6" x 8" two ways but just wanted to bring the sound up a little. It was a bit tight cutting the factory speaker wire and soldering some other wires in but I managed to get there in the end.

I ran out of light today so I'll mount the crossover and get the tweeters up and running tomorrow.

I have to access the kick panel area again as I want to run a power amp next which will require a power wire from the engine bay. Lets hope I'm as patient next time as I was this time as I managed to get through with no breakages.

Thanks for your help and I'll be sure to ask more questions with the next part of the sound system upgrade.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

A 1/4" allen key will so the same thing as the T50 torx bit to get that bolt out. So saves you buying a set.

If you want to hide all the power wiring, there is a nice grommet that runs into the front quarter from behind that kick panel. It comes out beside the battery.

Otherwise you can go the lazy way and go through the clutch cable hole.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
A 1/4" allen key will so the same thing as the T50 torx bit to get that bolt out. So saves you buying a set.

If you want to hide all the power wiring, there is a nice grommet that runs into the front quarter from behind that kick panel. It comes out beside the battery.

Otherwise you can go the lazy way and go through the clutch cable hole.

Thanks for that info. Do you have to remove the inner guard to run the wire from the battery to the grommet?

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Yeah. Will have to remove the black splash guard.

You could prob get lucky and force it up, but you'd still want to tie it to the loom in there so it doesn't rattle around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]