Fordmods Logo

Carpet on sub box and foam inside? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Carpet on sub box and foam inside?
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Is there a reason why sub boxs are carpeted or will it be the same without it?
Also, the ones at autobarn and that seem to be lined inside with foam, why?

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

The foam is to dampen reverberations within the box which leads to better audio quality. Carpet on the outside would most likely be simply for aesthetics, it shouldn't make any difference to the acoustic qualities of the box.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

it's actually dacron on the inside..... wether it works or not is a matter of opinion and debate

Banned

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

I don't know about car audio but the use of dampening material is fairly common in Hi-Fi speakers so I'd imagine there would be some merit in it.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Exactly as said; dampening effects from the internal material for acoustic reverberations; carpet externally solely for the aesthetics side of things.
It ought to make no differentiation from the outer finish of the box; within the box is where all he fun happens. :idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

Also, the carpet will help the sub from moving about in the boot, i'd imagine metal/wood would move around a bit. I just leave mine sitting in the middle of the boot, and it doesnt roll over/slide around at all, and there are times when i like to corner as hard as the wheels/suspension will let me...

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

haggis wrote:
Also, the carpet will help the sub from moving about in the boot, i'd imagine metal/wood would move around a bit. I just leave mine sitting in the middle of the boot, and it doesnt roll over/slide around at all, and there are times when i like to corner as hard as the wheels/suspension will let me...

This is true; however in a perfect world the box would be secured to the car somehow; not always the case but; then you most certainly need carpet lol. :lol:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

The box is bolted down, not gunna be a problem aboutmoving and i'm happy with the black paint job, won't bother carpeting then
might do the inside some day if i can be bothered, what sahould i use?

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

why do the inside if you're never gonna see it?

Banned

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

i heard a rumor that dacron gives the subs the impression that the box is "bigger". the air slows down as it works thru the dacron. i'd guess that it'd be only applicable in a ported setup

tried it, made no audible difference to what i'm running now.

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
haggis wrote:

This is true; however in a perfect world the box would be secured to the car somehow; not always the case but; then you most certainly need carpet lol. :lol:

I always bolt mine down, after seeing where the box ended up the day I picked it up at the shop. I sat it on one side on the left hand side of the boot. By the time I was home it was upside down on the right hand side. Good thing I hadn't started putting anything else in at this point.

Plus it harder to steal. My box it bolted to a board under the carpet, with the nuts inside the box. Therefore to steal my sub and box you either have to remove the sub grille (4 phillips screws), then the sub (12 hex screws), then the four bolts, either that or cut the carpet.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xy faker, baxr6t

NSW, Australia

aphexer wrote:
i heard a rumor that dacron gives the subs the impression that the box is "bigger". the air slows down as it works thru the dacron. i'd guess that it'd be only applicable in a ported setup

tried it, made no audible difference to what i'm running now.

It is only going to make a difference if the speakers require a bigger box. The whole game is to make the speaker think it is a box that is the optimum size to match the speaker. Lots of maths and stuffing around. In the ideal world, you dont need anything in the interior of the box, cause the box is matched to the speaker. Unfortunatly, that normally involves a big box. Not ideal in a car setup.

Keep Australia Beautiful. Drive a Ford.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

The dacron is there to effectively reduce the resonant frequency of the sub within the particular enclosure, works quite well in sealed boxes and can help the sub play just a little bit lower.

AU2 XR6 VCT -PH4480 headers Redback 2.5inch High Flow Cat & cat back Henreich Edit KPM custom grind VCT Cam G & D intake Eagle spiral core leads Autolite Platimum Plus Plugs Leather Momo wheel Chrome highlights Custom sound system

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

Pollux wrote:
Daniel wrote:
haggis wrote:

I always bolt mine down, after seeing where the box ended up the day I picked it up at the shop. I sat it on one side on the left hand side of the boot. By the time I was home it was upside down on the right hand side. Good thing I hadn't started putting anything else in at this point.

Plus it harder to steal. My box it bolted to a board under the carpet, with the nuts inside the box. Therefore to steal my sub and box you either have to remove the sub grille (4 phillips screws), then the sub (12 hex screws), then the four bolts, either that or cut the carpet.

i thought that the box would move around alot as well, but really once you put the sub inside the box it actually weighs it down nicely

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:35 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

The benefits or not of dacron in a box are debated but there is no argument that it does any harm, i have found that it has helped stop any ringing sound and reduce vibrations inside the box, although being told about the supposed larger box benefits i will be the first to admit i am unable to tell the difference.

I always include it, because for the $5 it costs i hae found it helps reduce the ringing sound in both ported and sealed boxes.

Just use a stable gun to fix it to the side walls and then stuff some extra in the box loose.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next