central locking problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: central locking problem
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

hey fellas ive got a problem with the damn central locking on my ef, it only happens about half the time but when i leave the car to llock the doors with the remote or key the locks go down but then it reopens as soon as they are down, therefore i cannot lock the car, what could be the problem? faulty door latch? or somethin cheers lads :)

Team EGO

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

welcome brother to the faulty actuator club.
the problem is one of your door lock actuators has worn out and slowing down. because this one is going slower than the others, the other three think that the faulty actuator is already through the locking cycle and to put it simply, try to play catch up.
Ford made replacement actuators to fix this problem but after a week of release they realised the new ones were faster than the old ones and if you replaced just the one actuator, it would still try and play catch up and the problem would be worse than ever because the problem happens every time now.
The only cure is to replace all four doors with the faster type actuators and never have a problem again.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

cheers dude, more money to spend on the bloody thing!

Team EGO

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

if the divers side button is set too low it will bottom out and then return up when locked, take the button off and if it stops playing up u saved $$$ to refit it pull the insert out with some pionty pliers but NOT completely off, with the window open and doors closed and locked. fit the button back on by simply pushing it until it sits flush the the door top.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

NSW, Australia

joolz wrote:
if the divers side button is set too low it will bottom out and then return up when locked, take the button off and if it stops playing up u saved $$$ to refit it pull the insert out with some pionty pliers but NOT completely off, with the window open and doors closed and locked. fit the button back on by simply pushing it until it sits flush the the door top.

That's what I think is wrong with mine. I just had the windows tinted and the doors won't lock now. The passenger side lock (on my NL) is sitting too high, and the drivers side is too low.

Thanks heaps joolz, you probably just saved me some cash!

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

mind you, its pretty hard (from my experience anyways) to get those buttons fitting lower than flush with the door trims - after you've taken them off once, its pretty hard to get them perfectly flush again - its a process of angling the trim correctly, and screwing the buttons down - but yes, if it has been thumped down too far, i could see that it may affect the central locking...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Well, I took the drivers button off, and now it works! woohoo! That saved me a lot of hassle!
Cheers guys

(don't worry fordmods, the donations are on their way :D )

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]