Fordmods Logo

Double din head unit into ef el falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Double din head unit into ef el falcon
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR8

SA, Australia

recently put a double din head unit into my el xr8, also got my hands onto a double din factory surround.. had someone put it all in for me as the loom had previously been hacked up..

once i put the surround in it still has "gap" around the head unit, ive spoken to my local auto barn about it and they cant help me because apparently they dont sell aerpro facias that suit ef/el double din units...

can anyone point me into the correct direction as it looks extremely half assed and tacky.. heres an image. thanks

Post subject: Re: Double din head unit into ef el falcon
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA GT 2005

SA, Australia

hi I have had a ddin in my el for years(put it in myself)(have been in car audio for some years now and used to makin things that don't fit to fit.) yours looks like they didn't move the holes on the bracket to suit the depth of the new unit. try drilling new mount holes into the bracket to move the unit forward this will close the look of the gap by half or so and give it a more flush look. I also got some thin perpex (coverd in carbine fibre wrap, after it been cut and test fitted) and cut it so the unit slides into it like a facia surround. but get you messurments right so that when you put new holes in the bracket it will sit flush with the new home made surround and aswell as getting it to sit just behind the std factory ddin surround. it may take some foolin around but its worth it to make it look like its ment to be there.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Same deal when I purchased a double DIN for my ED... I hand made my facia to suit a clarion Doible DIN unit with a clip on surround... When I upgraded, the new headunit arrived and they don't make the clip on facias for it like they did for the other unit... I ended up ordering a generic VW facia...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271286812016?it ... m=&vxp=mtr

I cut it out so I use the std mounting brackets and this just screwed into a lower set of holes to hold it to the headunit... Then I ground it away to fill the gap around the unit... It looks like I had less space then you so this may not work... See my build thread for photos...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR8

SA, Australia

i had a fiddle with it yesterday, with the brackets on it i cant make it come out any further, as the brackets dont have room for another hole to be drilled into them.

i still havnt found a surround anywhere that may suit the double din head unit surround.. if anyone has one that will work please let me know as im getting frustrated.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nobody makes one... We've both said you're gonna need to make your own...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]