Fordmods Logo

EB II / DC LTD II Premium sound speakers (2-way) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EB II / DC LTD II Premium sound speakers (2-way)
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Black ED Fairmont 5.0L

NSW, Australia

Hi All,

Why were the rear, two-way (6 inch) speakers produced with a paper/cardboard cone?

I know that there are a few people here who have done quite a bit of research into the Premium Sound system fitted to EB II / DC LTD II vehicles etc and would like their take on this.

From what I've read on here (from previous posts), a lot of effort went into the Premium sound system, so why did they go with paper/cardboard instead of polyp (for instance)?

Thanks

Willy

1994 Black Pearl ED Fairmont V8

9/72 XA GS 351 Auto Hardtop (Wild Violet & White Trim)

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

One word.........Cost.

Whilst alot of effort goes into these systems, most of that effort goes into marketing.

A nice flashy head unit, (and the one in the EBII/ED premium sound was a lovely bit of kit for it's time), a six stacker and a 200w amp with a sub woofer makes for an interesting spec for a factory system.

What the average punter can't see or hear (or understand), is the generally below average speakers, cabling and acoustics that these systems utilise. I mean seriously, an 8 inch free air sub in the parcel shelf powered with a AA battery is not going to sound exceptional.

At the end of the day, they only have to sound marginally better than the standard factory system to be successful and these definately sounded better (mainly because the standard factory system was an absolute pile of shi-ite).

Remember, your average punter (especially in the new, premium car market) is not a major audiophile, and it doesn't take a great system to make classical music sound the way it should.

I drove a Luxury Sports Mazda 6 last year before buying my car and for me, one of it's main claims was the BOSE speaker system in it. Sounded like absolute crap, but to the average joe..... "It's BOSE, so it has to be good!"

It's all marketing!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]