Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL Fairmont Ghia Premium Sound ---> Single DIN CD/Tuner
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 2008 BF MKII SR

QLD, Australia

Hey :-)

I wish to remove my double DIN EL Fairmont Ghia Premium Sound system and install a single DIN CD/Tuner as well as a single DIN radio scanner in its place.

Will a standard CD/Tuner deck be compatible with the amplifier, speakers, wiring, etc. in the EL Fairmont Ghia or am I stuck with the existing deck? I am hoping it is a simple case of purchasing a wiring harness adaptor like I have for other cars. I see wiring harness adaptors exist for the EL Falcon but there seems to be no mention of a Fairmont Ghia version.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You can run the amp through RCA if your CD/Tuner has RCA output.

Rear speakers and sub runs off factory amp and you run your front speaker off the headunit

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

the system will probly sound worse by just replacing the head unit. everything is matched so it will sound good as a complete unit.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I ended up paying Autobarn to do the installation for me as I wanted my radio scanner to occupy the spare DIN slot. I apparently have no factory installed amplifier, AutoBarn said it looks as though it has been stolen (was probably stolen when my CD Stacker was stolen).

Attached are some photo's of the installation incase anyone is interested. I wish I could fill in the gaps around the radio scanner.

Anthony

Attachments:
P2020851.JPG
P2020851.JPG [ 33.94 KiB | Viewed 206 times ]
P2020849.JPG
P2020849.JPG [ 56.22 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not a bad looking job there. I reckon you could make something custom out of black plastic to go around the uniden. If not try and get hold of another surround like on the sony and spray it black, then attach it somehow, I reckon that would be the way to go

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

how much did they charge?

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

janek wrote:
how much did they charge?

$125.00

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

fair enough... did they knock up any brackets or anything, or just use the standard bracket supplied with the headunit? (i want to do the same in my au)

Looks choice, btw... And what sort of cb u have? police/ambulance scanner too? (i wanna have one that i can tune in to the ambos... may help with a sticky situation or two, seeing that im an ambo in training :D)

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Wagon

WA, Australia

Thats exactly what i want to do with my uniden UHF radio. I have an EF falcon with a single din H/U. Will an EL faimont ghia stereo surround fit the EF's?
Uniden do make din mounting kits for most of their radios and scanners. I'm also wandering if they supply you with a radio surround to fill the gap on the sides? Worth a look on the manufacturer website?

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

janek wrote:
fair enough... did they knock up any brackets or anything, or just use the standard bracket supplied with the headunit? (i want to do the same in my au)

Looks choice, btw... And what sort of cb u have? police/ambulance scanner too? (i wanna have one that i can tune in to the ambos... may help with a sticky situation or two, seeing that im an ambo in training :D)

What you see installed isn't a CB radio, it is a radio scanner. It can be used only for receiving transmissions, not transmitting.

You can monitor ambulance frequencies in 'most' areas using a standard, inexpensive scanner such as the handheld Uniden BC72XLT. I purchased the more expensive Uniden BCT-8 as it is exactly single DIN size (one of its selling points).

Should transmissions in your area be digital then you will require a scanner capable of receiving digital transmissions, the only such scanner I know of (sold by Australian retailers) is the Uniden BCD396T (very expensive at this stage). Should the transmissions be digital and encrypted then you have no hope (legally) of monitoring the transmissions with any radio scanner.

I know of two Uniden combination CB Radio/Scanner units. The models are UH013 and UH015sx.

I hope this information has been of some use to you. Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

efwgn wrote:
Thats exactly what i want to do with my uniden UHF radio. I have an EF falcon with a single din H/U. Will an EL faimont ghia stereo surround fit the EF's?
Uniden do make din mounting kits for most of their radios and scanners. I'm also wandering if they supply you with a radio surround to fill the gap on the sides? Worth a look on the manufacturer website?

I am not sure if an EL Fairmont Ghia surround will fit directly into an EF model. You may be able to do it, however, I imagine there may be some modifications involved. I wish I could assist more but unfortunately I am not incredibly familiar with the interior of the EF model.

I wouldn't imagine that the radio manufacturer would supply a radio surround as there are so many different car makes and models with varying interior styles. I may be wrong, quite possibly a company such as AerPro (http://www.aerpro.com.au) may manufacture such an item (or something similar).

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

janek wrote:

AutoBarn informed me that they modified the existing factory fitted brackets (which I had bent and damaged in a temper tantrum when trying to install the setup myself).

The AU model has an interesting mounting system, there are no brackets as such from what I have seen. You may have to fabricate some yourself or purchase something aftermarket, or better still you might be better off paying for professional installation). I recently installed a single DIN headunit in my fiances AU Falcon Forte and believe me it was a nightmare.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Wagon

WA, Australia

EL-FAIRMONT-GHIA wrote:
efwgn wrote:

I am not sure if an EL Fairmont Ghia surround will fit directly into an EF model. You may be able to do it, however, I imagine there may be some modifications involved. I wish I could assist more but unfortunately I am not incredibly familiar with the interior of the EF model.

I wouldn't imagine that the radio manufacturer would supply a radio surround as there are so many different car makes and models with varying interior styles. I may be wrong, quite possibly a company such as AerPro (http://www.aerpro.com.au) may manufacture such an item (or something similar).

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Your dash does look very similar in appearance. The only real diff is that the ciggie lighter is visible. The EF's are hidden away in the ashtray.
I looked at aerpro.com.au to see what they have that may help me. I noticed they have radio surrounds. Wonder if one will fit your scanner??
[url]http://www.aerpro.com.au/p.php?pcode=89300900&xno=09
[/url]

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

EL-FAIRMONT-GHIA wrote:
I ended up paying Autobarn to do the installation for me as I wanted my radio scanner to occupy the spare DIN slot. I apparently have no factory installed amplifier, AutoBarn said it looks as though it has been stolen (was probably stolen when my CD Stacker was stolen).

Attached are some photo's of the installation incase anyone is interested. I wish I could fill in the gaps around the radio scanner.

Anthony

Verrrry nice setup! Very clean, (Just the way I like it!)
What model is that Uniden scanner?

Post subject: Radio Transceiver & Radio Scanner DIN Adapter(s)
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Hey :-)

FireFox crashed when I first attempted to post this message so here I am typing it all over again (disclaimer: due to my lack of a photographic memory I am unable to reproduce verbatim the message I previously typed), hehehe.

When browsing the WWW for radio related goods I stumbled across http://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/, a British retailer selling DIN adapter(s) for use with radio transceivers & radio scanner's.

If you are considering installing a radio transceiver or radio scanner in a vehicle DIN slot then these adapter(s) may be an option if you are seeking a tidy job.

I do not know if the retailer will ship to Australia, I will leave this to those are are interested to research for themselves.

I hope this has been of some assistance.

Regards

Anthony

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next