Fordmods Logo

Essex keyless entry door code system. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Essex keyless entry door code system.
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,
This is my first post on FordMods - I hope I've put it in the right place. I did a search but didn't find anything threads related to keyless entry code pads.

The unit I am looking at is the Essex KE-1601: http://www.keyless.com/PDF/KE1601WD.pdf

I haven't seen anything like this for sale in Australia (so unless anyone here knows where I should be looking, this unit is the one).

The reason I want one of these pads is that I want to remove the key hole on the right door of my AUII. In the past few months its been knocked out twice, thankfully I had nothing of any real value in my car both times.

I'm looking to see if anyone can advise me as to how easy it would be to intergrate this keypad with my car (AUII), the wiring diagram is here:

http://www.keyless.com/PDF/KE1601WD.pdf

If it turns out to be complicated I guess I will have to find somewhere to install it for me.

Any advice people can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,
Agent

Post subject: Install Guide
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I found a web page that kind of gives a step by step install for the keypad I was looking at:

http://www.accesscnc.com/keylessinst.html

Not having done any self installs on my car before - how easy is it to locate and use the door lock relays?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:39 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Just a silly question. If you removed the keylock from the drivers door, how would you get into the car should the alarm crap itself or the battery go flat?

Also, an AU2 has keyless entry, why would you want to install another keyless entry remote?

Or am I missing something here...

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

<i>Just a silly question. If you removed the keylock from the drivers door, how would you get into the car should the alarm crap itself or the battery go flat?</i>

I intend to run wires connected to the (+) and (-) terminals to the side of the car so if the battery does go flat I can easily hook up another one.

As far as the alarm goes it doesnt really matter. The keypad is self contained and maintains its own pin codes etc. It triggers a relay to turn the alarm on/off (as far as I can tell). I think it also triggers the relays for the central locking.

As far as I know the AUII has two relays for the doors - one which unlocks the drivers side and one which unlocks the other three.

I figure its unlikely for both to break at the same time so I should always be able to get into the car.

(So long as there is power, and if the battery is flat the car is not going anywhere unitl I get some power from somewhere. When I do I can power the door system from the side of the car as I mentioned.)

<i>Also, an AU2 has keyless entry, why would you want to install another keyless entry remote?</i>

I want to be able to get into the car if the remote beeper breaks/is lost.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon

WA, Australia

no offence but this is the system i would expect on porsche or merc not a ford

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

poolep88 wrote:
no offence but this is the system i would expect on porsche or merc not a ford

No offence taken but in my line of work I often carry the cost of a new car in in the boot/backseat.

The problem is that it's on a daily basis and not just on special occasions. For example: Every day I carry 7+ grand of laptop with me.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon

WA, Australia

ok fair enough but i dont think that system would stop them they would probs break the window if they saw the laptop on the back seat.

I would try parking ur car where there are lots of people and if the laptop has to stay i the car hide it under sum clothes.

but then if they want it bad enough there aint much u can do.

although isnt there a laptop security service (u pay them money and sumhow the can help stop it from being resold<not quite sure though>or u could try insurance)

If u could afford i would go with dark window tint shatter proof glass, reinforced door, the looking system ur talking about. but that may not be worth it for 7k laptop.

anyway goodluck with wat u decide to do

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:01 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

This is one of the reasons for my inital post...

I cant see how a locking system like this will help. The Smartshield remote entry into a Falcon is pretty good, and in the end you would be getting the same thing.

You would be better off protecting you car in other ways. Like, as suggested, shatter proof tint. Maybe remove the rod from the drivers door lock to the lock mechanism. Remove the rods from the rear seat that allow the fold down, and reroute the manual boot release.

We made my dads Fairlane as secure as possible, but it didnt stop someone from puting a rock through a window, opening the door from the inside, dropping the rear seat and pulling his briefcase containg $33,000 in customers jewellery from the boot. So we had to secure it more. As in lock off any manual entry into the boot and cabin where possible.

What im trying to say, the fanciest lock system in the world wont help, may deter a little, but wont help. If your carrying that kind of value everyday, then you need to remove as many ways of manually entering your vehicle as possible, some I've mentioned above. But the bad side is that if you loose battery power, or a lock/motor fails you loose your manual access to that areas.

As has been said, good luck in what you decide. I'm just adding my 2c, as I have been there before.. :(

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
So we had to secure it more. As in lock off any manual entry into the boot and cabin where possible.

I was thinking of perhaps a secure lock box in the boot. Its the next level of theif that smashes the window - there is little noise when you pop out the keyhole.

I also intent to install a metal barrier between the rods in the door so you cant easily access the rods.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

agentofchange wrote:
arm79 wrote:
So we had to secure it more. As in lock off any manual entry into the boot and cabin where possible.

I was thinking of perhaps a secure lock box in the boot. Its the next level of theif that smashes the window - there is little noise when you pop out the keyhole.

I also intent to install a metal barrier between the rods in the door so you cant easily access the rods.

I thought that AU's didnt have a lock barrel on the boot, so there is no way of entry there.

Have you looked inside the doors before. There is a plastic over that goes over all the rods, but this is to prevent somone using a coat hanger between the window and rubber seal. I cant see a away of putting something around the rod without affecting how the door lock works. If you remove the lock, then you will have to remove the rod anyways. In the end, putting something there will deter someone, but if they really want to get in, the rod is still there and a thief will get at it.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Once someone is in the main cabin they can access the boot by pulling down the back seat - also once the back seat is down someone can pull the manual boot release cable.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

As I put in my previous post about the seat back and boot, in the case of my dads Fairlane we removed the rods from the seat back that allowed the seat to be dropped and re-routed the manual release. The boot was not accessable, full stop, unless you had the remote. We even disabled the boot release button on the dash. So in the end, the standard smartlock remotes did the job.

Its the only way to protect the boot. You claim you carry a new cars value of equipment in your boot everyday. A fancy lock/remote system is not going to protect this. Isolating the boot from being accessed will.

As I put in my previous post, this was done in Airport West Shopping town car park, and by the videos, took no more than 25 seconds to steal a briefcase containing $33,000 of jewellery. Rock through window, open door, drop seat and take goods. No locking system in the world will prevent this, but as I said, isolating boot entry will.

I'm not trying to pick on your choice of security, more point out I think you are going about it the wrong way to protect these areas of the car. My story above is testment that alarms, special locks, remote tracking, etc does not do squat when you have a rock or brick at hand.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

yup but then again stopping access to the bood aint gonna do alot either when they come along with a crow bar

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

yea, but a rock is a more conveniently obtainable/explainable/disposable tool than a crowbar........

as for the lock..... IIRC you can swap the drivers side handle out for a different one without the lock barrel

Banned

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

i think the whole point of this is if u have valuable stuff dont put it in your car, its obviously not a safe place to put it, if its that expensive pay a courier to deliver it to a destination that way its insured, otherwise hire armagaurd or somethig

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next