Fordmods Logo

FGX FALCON SUBWOOFER INSTALL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: FGX FALCON SUBWOOFER INSTALL
Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane nc

WA, Australia

THIS APPLIES TO ALL FGX FALCON MODELS ONLY. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES AS A RESULT OF FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE.

Mods please move if in wrong place.

Hey all, just thought I'd do a write up of my subwoofer and amp install in my FGX XR8.

There are several guides out for FG Falcons, to tap into the wiring for the existing amp in premium sound, but as the amp and sub in FGX are different, there doesn't appear to be a dedicated +ve and -ve input wire.

I started with a JL AUDIO 12" sub, with a pioneer class d mono block amp.

Sony 4 gauge wiring kit and an Aerpro line converter. This line converter is not powered, it simply converts speaker wires to RCA outputs.

Initial plan was to tap into the original amp wiring, but I couldn't figure out how to wire that up, these Falcons have a strange wiring setup.

Instead I tapped into the front drivers tweeter, it's pretty tight up there, so I chopped off the plug about 40mm back , made an extension lead off the wires coming from the dash, then crimped the other end of the extension, the plug, and another length of wire for the line converter, together.

Hooked up the line converter and stuck this nicely behind the drivers footwell panel.

RCA leads went in the other side of the converter, and then this, the remote wire and the power lead were fed along the drivers side to the boot.

Remote wire was routed behind pedals and steering column, cable tied in place and then spliced into the cigarette lighter.

Earth lead was attached to one of the rear seat bolts and the amp itself screwed onto the rear of the back seat.

The hardest part was routing the power lead to the engine bay. On the drivers side, there is quite a large hole in the rear corner of the engine bay, which leads to your inner wheel guard. Once you pull this off, you can route the power lead through the main wiring harness grommet, which will come out on the right side of the drivers footwell.

Other than than, connect all the wires to your amp, tidy up the wiring and put all panels back and your set to go, and the factory sub still retains its use if wanted. (I took mine out to allow bass to flow into the cabin through the mesh)

Hopefully this is useful to some of you.

Post subject: Re: FGX FALCON SUBWOOFER INSTALL
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

A tweeter is only fed with high frequency sound, via a Cap or Crossover. A Sub only works at very low frequency. You may get a better result feeding from a normal sized speaker.

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]