Fordmods Logo

Four 6x9's + EF II GLi = Help? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Four 6x9's + EF II GLi = Help?
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Falcon BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey fellas, was wondering if anyone has some creative ideas on how to chuck in some 6x9's into an EF Falcon GLi. I have 4 of them, so my mission is quite extreme, but i'm determined to have decent sounds in my car. Obviously tampering with the metal brace underneath the parcel shelf is out of the question, so i was thinking more along the lines of mounting 2 of them in a raised moulded shelf above the parcel shelf, and the other two perhaps in the rear doors. The raised parcel shelf idea also adds the opportunity to vent air from the boot so that if i was interested in installing subs later, they wouldn't be fighting the 6x9's for air compression. Anyway, PLEASE can people post pics of any attempts they've made for the raised shelf idea or back door mountings. Thanks to DMAC and his post http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10986&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 which helped a lot, however i'd like to see fittings for 6x9's.

Thanks guys.

FORD - Feeling Omnipotent Riding Dis

Post subject: 6X9"?
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

wHY have 4x 6x9" speakers, i have MB QUARTS 6 1'2" splits in the front and in the back, if u want quality theses are the best quality speakers you can go, and am running them of a P4004 Rockfor Fosgate Amp. its not quality until you haev heard mine, plus 1x 15" T1 Rockford sub and T1000 amp for sub..

Current 129db
total RMS - 1800watts

NOT BAD EY?

cheers rusty,

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

6X9's? decent sound? in the same sentence? :lol:

Banned

Post subject: oops
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

Sorry i was refering to why having 6x9"??
6 1/2" speakers are good and you dont ahev to modyfy anything is it works out well, im not saying 6x9" are any good they are but its the hasle of gettign them in without shanging the rear a*** shelf,

cheers

RUSTY

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I don't by any means HAVE to have all four installed, but i wanted some clear punchy bass in the car without having to get a great big sub chucked in the boot. It's sort of an intermediate stage for me while i'm low on cash. Plus, bigger all round is always better, am i right? Just wanted to hear people's views about the worthiness of the idea, feasability, etc. Thing is, i've got these 6x9's sitting in my room collecting dust when i didn't pay a cent for them, and my car's sitting there with stock speakers. Just figured it'd be nice to do something about it... any ideas?

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

I went to jaycar and got some spacers for $10.....It looks spastic, so i was looking at doing something like dmac, as his looks awesome. But then i was talking to a guy off here, and to a wog, and they both said go splits in the rear running from an amp they give good SQ, then put in at least 1 sub if you want lots of bass.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i got 6x9 mounted
they do the job for rear fill but i wont go into detail how there mounted :P
been in there since i got the car ( BLAUPUNT 170w 2 way )

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:57 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Ok making a rear parcel shelf out of fibreglass is nvery time consuming and also reasonably expensive.

Dmac did a good job showing how it can be done but rest assured it takes time and effort and nfibreglass is not cheap if your low on cash

As i see it you only have 3 options for rear mounting 6 x 9's.

- Cut the shelf - which you have already said you dont wish to do
- Use pre-fab spacers, plactic or mdf - looks a little off but is the quickest and cheapest way to go
- Make a custom parcel shelf, neatest and best sounding, however most time consuming method and most expensive

What were you thinking for fronts? using 6 x 9's as well because that will take custom door pods. In my opinion you would be much better served installing a 3 way front stage if your going to the troubble of making custom door pods, however a 3 way system will cost a bit...

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

To be honest, my ideal system that i have pictured in the depths of my unconvential mind is - 2x12" Alpine Type R subs in boot, 2x6.5" Alpine type R mid-bass in rear shelf, and another pair of these in the front. This is also obviously a lot easier to install (except for the sub enclosure of course). The head unit i'll eventually get is probably the Clarion DXZ856MP. Now, with all these forces combined, even Captain Planet will have nothing on me, however it requires amputation and sale of most of my limbs for collateral. Since i guess there's no easy way to get these 6x9's mounted in the rear of the car, is there any sense in putting them in the front doors? I don't mind the task of making pods for them - i like a challenge. They're 3-Way speakers, so will that be any good, or is the 6.5" option still best all round? Just don't want these puppies going to waste.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:21 am 

VIC, Australia

shoony wrote:
To be honest, my ideal system that i have pictured in the depths of my unconvential mind is - 2x12" Alpine Type R subs in boot, 2x6.5" Alpine type R mid-bass in rear shelf, and another pair of these in the front. This is also obviously a lot easier to install (except for the sub enclosure of course). The head unit i'll eventually get is probably the Clarion DXZ856MP. Now, with all these forces combined, even Captain Planet will have nothing on me, however it requires amputation and sale of most of my limbs for collateral. Since i guess there's no easy way to get these 6x9's mounted in the rear of the car, is there any sense in putting them in the front doors? I don't mind the task of making pods for them - i like a challenge. They're 3-Way speakers, so will that be any good, or is the 6.5" option still best all round? Just don't want these puppies going to waste.

My honest opinion is your dream system is quite good and much better than investing time and money into installing 2 x pairs of 6x9's just because you have them.

I would sell them off, save the money and buy your Alpine Type R 6.5" splits. They are a ncie speaker and will be much better in the long run and eaiser to install. i would use 6.5" 3 way co-axials in the parcel shelf which requires no fabrication. May also use Type R to keep a consistent theme

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, it'll take me a while, but i guess i can save. Any ideas where i can get a fantastic deal on the alpine speakers? The type R 6.5" only come in a 2-way coaxial or just plain 2-way. Which would be better, considering the plain 2-way has a higher rms power handling? And does anyone know if either of these will fit in the front door speaker housings? Also, the reason i picked out that Clarion head unit was purely because of functionality. I'm looking for an mp3/wma HU with fast seek, and preferrably a 24-bit DAC. Although i respect Alpine's components, i've heard bad things about their FantomFaceXL unit, so does anyone know of a good head unit with the functions i'd like, for a grand or less?

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

yeah dude, i got 4 6X9s, i just cut holes in the rear door trims and attached them to that, it holds pretty damn well too :) then connected the wires to the rear shelf which has been cut for the other 6X9s, i had a lot of people say it was a stupid idea, but i reckon its AWESOME! and its a lot of fun to do, and it looks bloody good IMO, and its sounds AMAZING! when sitting in the rear seats, my eyes shake in their sockets :) its soo good!

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:17 pm 

VIC, Australia

shoony wrote:
Any ideas where i can get a fantastic deal on the alpine speakers? The type R 6.5" only come in a 2-way coaxial or just plain 2-way. Which would be better, considering the plain 2-way has a higher rms power handling?

No where specific, Freeway car audio are good Marcel or Stylin Car Audio Keith.
2 way splts for the front and 2 way co-axial for the rear shelf
May need a little 6mm MDF ring to make them fit int he front doors but nothing too fancy, 30min per side to make one up.

shoony wrote:
Also, the reason i picked out that Clarion head unit was purely because of functionality. I'm looking for an mp3/wma HU with fast seek, and preferrably a 24-bit DAC. Although i respect Alpine's components, i've heard bad things about their FantomFaceXL unit, so does anyone know of a good head unit with the functions i'd like, for a grand or less?

I would go Alpine 9855, which you can get for less than $1,000, i have one in my wifes car and they are great, 3 way fully adjustable crossover 3 x 4volt preouts, 6 channel time allignment EQ etc...

Clarion HXD2 wold be the other one to consider, awesome headunit but well over $1,000 Maybe Pioneer 9350 or Eclipse 8455 should both do what you want and can be picked up for less than $1,000

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]