Front speakers in an AU Fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Front speakers in an AU Fairmont
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

So while my DIY boot install is coming along (slowly, but coming along!) I have turned my attention to the inside of the car (basically coz it's going to be much easier = instant gratification!) Presently I just have the stock 6 speaker set-up (4 x 5x7's and tweeters at the front).

I'd love to hear some advice from you guys coz I have NO idea what to get. My budget for new speakers is probably around $800. I have a Pioneer DEH-P6850MP head unit. I am also running an Alpine MRP-M650 monoblock and Pioneer TSW-306C in the boot if that matters any.

REAR SPEAKERS:
I'd like to get some 6x9's for the back, any suggestions on what brand/model to go for?

FRONT SPEAKERS:
I hear that most of the 5x7 speakers on the market are really crappy. Does anyone know of any decent ones? Otherwise (and forgive my ignorance), is it really worth getting splits (and would they be relatively easy to install?) Or would I be best off just getting some 6" ones to go in there?

TWEETERS:
Would it really be worth replacing the stock tweeters? Has anybody done this before in an AU using the existing grilles and without cutting into the pillars?

AMP:
At the moment I've got a Sony XM-SD46X 4 channel amplifier. I've never had it running 4 speakers before (I did have it running 2 speakers and the sub, and I thought it did a reasonably good job). I hadn't budgeted for replacing the amp and not sure that it would be worth it but then again I did just get a new job :lol:

I was having a bit of a look at the following two amps: JL E4300 (I know it's old) or Kicker ZX350.4. Would either of these be noticeably better than my current one?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

PS: I am looking forward to resurrecting my boot install thread soon as I am FINALLY up to the construction stage :D

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

Hey

My AU is booked in to Northfield on the weekend for some audio upgrades

Basically, i am getting all the speakers in the car replaced

I am replacing the stock paper 5x7's with Eclipse 5x7 speakers. I heard them and they sound really good.

I am also replacing the tweeters with the Jaycar items, they sound very good and clear (have used them before) Is a very easy job...street fords covered it in issue 15, said the difference was incredible. a 20 minute DIY job and u keep the stock look and a pillars

u can replaces the fronts with just 6", but there is a bit more work involved as you have custom make some spacers/fitting hardware

I will let you know after Saturday how it sounds

The sub/amp department is still in the design phase...havent settled on an install/brands yet

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Cheers, will be interested to hear your thoughts, especially on the Eclipse speakers. How much are you paying for the 5x7's and the tweeters (if you don't mind me asking)?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well tweeters r $50 bucks total (from Jaycar website) and the Eclipse speakers are just on $180 or so a pair (cant remember exact prices)

chargin about $120 for install (i would do it myself, but u need to remove door trims and the entire back seat to get to the parcel shelf (including the bottom lounge part of the rear seat))...and i just dont have the time for that unfortunately (or the patience :) )

best thing is i maintain the factory look as 6x9's would need extra spacers etc in the back (plus arent really needed if you are going down the sub path)

i will let you know how it sounds on Sunday some time

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

i have alpine 5x7's all round type S they seem very good, the difference over standard was unbelievable, i also have the jaycar tweeters and there very good also.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

SpuDTE wrote:
well tweeters r $50 bucks total (from Jaycar website) and the Eclipse speakers are just on $180 or so a pair (cant remember exact prices)

chargin about $120 for install (i would do it myself, but u need to remove door trims and the entire back seat to get to the parcel shelf (including the bottom lounge part of the rear seat))...and i just dont have the time for that unfortunately (or the patience :) )

best thing is i maintain the factory look as 6x9's would need extra spacers etc in the back (plus arent really needed if you are going down the sub path)

i will let you know how it sounds on Sunday some time

Hey Mate,

Not sure if you paid for the install yet, but if you haven't, both jobs you mention (door panels and rear seats) are a piss of the proverbial. to remove the door panels, it's like 4 screws from memory. Rear seat "lounge" section (can't see why you'd need to remove the top part of the seat) is easy as to remove. There are 2 plastic clips at the front part, about 3/4 of the way along at either end, that you pull, and the bottom half of the seat lifts straight out. The hardest part of it is getting the seat back in without breaking the plastic clips....

Hope that helps mate...

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

Some tweeters are too big to fit behind the factory grill in the A pillar.
There's not much room in there - about half the room i needed for my focals.
So you'll need to consider that in your speaker purchase decisions.

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hey all

ok, got the speakers installed yesterday.

must say i am quite impressed with them. in terms of clarity they are a lot better sounding than the originals. bass wise is fantastic for a non sub system.

i did not get the tweeters put in after all that. they were installed and tested however at higher volumes the speakers crackled and sounded extremely ordinary. these will be returned to jaycar

the eclipse speakers are 3-way however and i honesty can say the sound stage is fantastic and i do not miss the tweeters in the a pillar at all

hope this helps

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Thanks for the info - gives me a bit to think about!

So did you completely remove the factory tweeters?

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yes they are now completely removed

seems like a bit of a waste i know, but the jaycar ones were very dissapointing (remembering im running them off stock HU) amd the factory items removed any advantage of the good tweeters in the 3-way setup

very happy with it tho considering its the stock HU and only 5 x 7" exactly the clear and right amount of bass i was chasing. depends what you are after. pity your not in brissy or u could come round for a listen!

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

A real shame! That would have been too easy!

I still like the idea of mounting some aftermarket tweeters up in the A-pillar so I guess I'll have to hunt around for another brand that fits.

I wonder if it would make any difference running the Jaycar ones off my head-unit (Pioneer DEH-6850MP)... any ideas?

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

It certainly could make a difference. Still seems odd though, cos they are rated to 40W

My guess is that it isnt the actual speakers but its the crossover circuitry that was to blame. After the failing of the Jaycar crossover units we tried just a regular cap. This resulted in the same crackling noise but at a lot quieter volume.

maybe if you could source a decent set of cross overs it may help fix the problem

Formerly SpuDEF

Post subject: i have a answer
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

go for cadence speakers allround

wagoff

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

true but i dont believe they make a 5x7 straight bolt in. correct me if im wrong

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Thanks for all your advice guys - in the end I've gone Joesau's route and gone with....

FRONTS: Alpine SPR-57LS Type-R 5x7 splits

REAR: Alpine SPR-69LP Type-R 6x9's

Unfortunately I've gotta wait for JB to order the 5x7's in so I can't tell you guys how they sound for a while :cry: Also gotta finish the boot install before I can hook them up to the amp.

CAN'T WAIT!!! :D :D :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]