Fordmods Logo

Getting started... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Getting started...
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1999 AU Falcon

NSW, Australia

Alrighty, on my next school hols i will be getting around to buying a decent system..

At the moment all i have is the premium sound and a 10 stacker blaupunkt (wOOOOOOt!), haha..

I think i should have 3-4k to get all the necessary bits, but will probably have to install it thru someone who is good, cuz i am not overly mechanically or electronically minded.

Here is what i have on my list so far:

Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P880PRS CD/MP3/Radio

Front: Rockford T152S; 400W 5.25" Power Series 2 Way Component Splits

Back: Rockford Fosgate T1693C - 6x9" Speakers - Power Series 210W

Amp for them: Pioneer Premier Series PRS Class-FD PRS-D4100F

Subs: Kicker Comp VX 1500W 12" Subwoofer (x2) (Probably in a QMax Double, Ported, Perspex Enclosure)

Amps for subs: Kenwood KAC-9103D 1800W Mono Block Class D Amplifier (x2)

That's about $3k for the individual parts.

How much would someone ask to install it all?

Am i missing anything?

Would you guys suggest anything apart from what i have there?

I really have no idea about audio, so basically all i have done is read up on a couple of things and largely base my thoughts on the RMS value (brings back memories of first year uni) and the brand.

Do you think that some of the stuff i have in there is not needed?

Cheers for ur help guys

1999 AU Falcon | Liquid Silver | Pacie 4480 | 2.5" Catback | K&N Pod with Custom 3" Intake | 18" Azzurros | Eclipse CD7100, MB Quart RVF216 running off a bridged RF Power T400-4, 2x Soundstream RW-12's in a custom ported box running off a Clarion DPX11500 | CMS Stg2 Cam + Custom Tune (15/9/08)

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

have you heard any of the gear you intend on getting? Cause my mate has RF splits and they're good, but I wasn't overly blown away by them. If not i would recommend going and listening to it all before hand. Also that's a nice amp for the speakers, but then with the monoblock I don't know about the kenwood (haven't seen/used amps, but i know they're subs eat anus). If your looking for a cheap amp I would recommend the jaycar ones which are surprisingly quite good for the price. Make sure also with amps and subs that you get them running at the right resistance (ie some amps can run at 4, 2 or 1ohm) and choose subs accordingly (ie dont buy 2 subs with 4ohm dual voice coils if your amp can run at 2ohm)

Also I would recommend fitting it yourself, then you know what's going on when there's problems. And also you would be looking at a fair bit to have it installed, I don't know how much as I have done all mine but i think its usually about 60 to fit a headunit....

And you forgot wiring, which i would factor in about $60 each for decent RCA's, then you will need power cable, distro block, earth cable, little adaptor endings for power cables etc ohh and all random bits to mount amps etcc

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

personally I would just go 6 or 6.5 inch speakers in the rear rather then 6 X 9s. Especially if you are having subs.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I agree with Phatal about the 6x9s but also if your not installing it yourself get someone thats reputable to do the install because there are alot of dodgy hacks going aroudn.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
have you heard any of the gear you intend on getting? Cause my mate has RF splits and they're good, but I wasn't overly blown away by them. If not i would recommend going and listening to it all before hand. Also that's a nice amp for the speakers, but then with the monoblock I don't know about the kenwood (haven't seen/used amps, but i know they're subs eat anus). If your looking for a cheap amp I would recommend the jaycar ones which are surprisingly quite good for the price. Make sure also with amps and subs that you get them running at the right resistance (ie some amps can run at 4, 2 or 1ohm) and choose subs accordingly (ie dont buy 2 subs with 4ohm dual voice coils if your amp can run at 2ohm)

Also I would recommend fitting it yourself, then you know what's going on when there's problems. And also you would be looking at a fair bit to have it installed, I don't know how much as I have done all mine but i think its usually about 60 to fit a headunit....

And you forgot wiring, which i would factor in about $60 each for decent RCA's, then you will need power cable, distro block, earth cable, little adaptor endings for power cables etc ohh and all random bits to mount amps etcc

Were they the same RF splits? Cuz they got a few different levels. These ones are supposedly top of the line

I've heard mixed reports about the Kenwood amp, i may just get one more expensive amp and run both subs off it (I suppose i can do that?)

I probably will fit it myself the more i think about it, as i have 5 weeks holidays over the Dec-Feb school break

I suppose i will put more research into it over the next few weeks, as i was kinda just banging it all together without doing much testing.

Is 2 Ohm impendence better than 4 Ohm?

Also, If i have an amp rated at 1800W Max and 750W RMS, what power should the sub be in order to handle the load? More or less?

Cheers guys

1999 AU Falcon | Liquid Silver | Pacie 4480 | 2.5" Catback | K&N Pod with Custom 3" Intake | 18" Azzurros | Eclipse CD7100, MB Quart RVF216 running off a bridged RF Power T400-4, 2x Soundstream RW-12's in a custom ported box running off a Clarion DPX11500 | CMS Stg2 Cam + Custom Tune (15/9/08)

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL XR6

Power: 141 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i think for the money that your spending i would look into more detail my choice of amp. Kenwood being a popular amp, i really wouldnt be happy with their sound quality IMHO.

Another thing is the deck of choice. The pioneer having many features but at a price tag of $500+ i would probably more inclined to say a Clarion or Eclipse. Way better SQ and alot more tuneability...

thats my 2 bob worth...

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yeah, i think i have been a bit hasty with my selections!

I definately need to have a better look around.

Cheers for ur input mate!

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

BAbob wrote:
You did no research on this did you? listen to all your pimply faced boyfriends, another dreamer thread, go back to school and do some research.

Welcome back, couldn't stay away could you.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Seems i have a few fans around these parts aye?

/feels special

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]